Thread: Oilers sign undrafted Patrick Russell out of St Cloud U.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Oilers sign undrafted Patrick Russell out of St Cloud U.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/05/09/...ndout-russell/

The Oilers dipped into the collegiate free agent pool again on Monday, signing St. Cloud State forward Patrick Russell to an entry-level deal.

Russell, 23, just wrapped his sophomore campaign at St. Cloud, racking up 20 goals and 41 points in 41 contests.

A native of Denmark, he’s represented his country on numerous occasions internationally, though primarily at the junior level.

Over the weekend, Edmonton scored one of the bigger prizes from the NCAA level when it signed North Dakota standout Drake Caggiula to a two-year, entry-level contract.

Caggiula, named the Most Outstanding Player at this year’s Frozen Four, chose to sign with the Oilers after narrowing his shortlist of NHL suitors to six teams: Edmonton, Vancouver, Philadelphia, Ottawa, Chicago and Buffalo.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Oilers sign undrafted Patrick Russell out of St Cloud U.

2 forwards, no D....even new management can't learn.

Wouldn't surprise me though to see Yuckupov traded before the draft as a result of the Cag signing.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post

Wouldn't surprise me though to see Yuckupov traded before the draft as a result of the Cag signing.
    Well as stated in the previous thread when they signed Caggiula, most of the D work will come after the playoffs are over. The Oilers have little in the way of high end forwards in their minors because their main team has been so bad, they have to keep bringing them up to the NHL. These types of kids are good signings to help bolster their overall roster, not just their NHL one.

Not to mention, if they have to start dealing forwards away for D, they will need to replace them somehow. These signings are being pro-active, not reactive.

The D changes will come but you cant turn away these opportunities just because they aren't defensemen. They have a hard enough time luring FA's to come to Edmonton on a good day.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    I really hope this is sarcasm.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

He sounds excited to play with the Oilers.

A quote from Russell:

"This organization has a big, big future ahead. Hopefully I can be a part of that."
    Maybe McDavid and the new arena will actually draw players to the Oilers. Here's hoping at least.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    He sounds excited to play with the Oilers.
    I hate to post the same comment twice but I hope you're being sarcastic here too. Of course he's going to say something nice about the team that just signed him!

Media: So, how do you feel about being part of the Oilers' organization?
    Russell: I hate it. They suck. They're going nowhere. But at least it gives me a better chance to play.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I hate to post the same comment twice but I hope you're being sarcastic here too. Of course he's going to say something nice about the team that just signed him!

Media: So, how do you feel about being part of the Oilers' organization?
    Russell: I hate it. They suck. They're going nowhere. But at least it gives me a better chance to play.
    Nope, no sarcasm at all. It's rare that Oilers find people that actually want to play there. He chose them just as much as they wanted him. I am sure there were plenty of other suitors looking for his services.