Thread: Garland

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Garland

Has anyone seen him play??

Is he going to be an NHLer?

I see he puts up big points. Who is his player comparable in the NHL?

Was offered him for Patrick Sharp. Need more info on Conor before i consider the offer.

12 team keeper

dress 12F 6D 2G, bench 6F 3D 2G

keep 8 F, 4D, 1G, draft every year for the rest.

Forwards: 2pts/Goal 1pt/Assist 4pts/hattrick
    Defense: 3pts/Goal 1.5pts/Assist 6 pts/hattrick
    Both: 0.05 pts/Hit 0.05/Blocked shot

Goalie: 2pts/win 1pt/tie 5pts/Shutout 0.02pts/save

Dressed
    F - STAMKOS, OVECHKIN, KUCHEROV, PAVELSKI, BACKSTROM, DROUIN, PANARIN, WHEELER, Landeskog, Cammalieri, Marleau, Ward

D - HEDMAN, EKMAN-LARSSON, BARRIE, PARAYKO, Markov, Savard

G - HOLTBY, Anderson

Bench
    F - Burakovsky, Killorn, Hertl, Read, Rantanen, Sutter
    D - Trouba, Niskanen, Zidlicky
    G - Halak, Hammond

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Garland

Do you have him or Sharp, and what is the league set-up?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

I've seen him play numerous times when Moncton comes to Halifax (which is quite often). The kid is definitely skilled but small.

As far as his NHL possibilities, it's hard to write off anyone with the offensive skillset that he has, but he will have to adjust his game a bit (like many Jr stars). He's not a great defensive player and will need to learn that part of the game (probably in the AHL starting next year). That's typical with these Jr stars who are used to playing the game in one direction. That being said, the kid can fly and makes some wicked passes. He plays with good finishers too so that helps his game.

He certainly went to a good team for his game play as the Coyotes are looking for offensive players to help put the puck in the net. Garland can do that. He just has to learn the others aspects of the NHL game. He has work to do before becoming an NHL player but its not entirely out of the question.

As far as the trade offer, I doubt I would move an asset like Sharp for him but it depends on the league setup and your current team situation. You'd be moving out a proven NHL asset for a kid who's got work to do before an NHL career is even an option. Not exactly a sure thing by any means. When a kid puts up that many points in his Jr career, is passed over in his first draft year and then slides to the fifth round in his second NHL draft, the deck is certainly stacked against him. Makes you wonder why so many teams passed on him so many times.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

I've seen him play in Moncton (I live an hour away in Northern Nova Scotia), and was impressed by his offensive tools: speed, hands and intelligence. When he was on the ice, Moncton was on the attack.

The negative, and I'm really just echoing Axeman, is that he is small and he isn't a great defender. I remember a game from last season where he created a number of offensive chances, but Moncton lost and he was on the ice for a couple of his opponent's goals. That is something a year or two in the AHL should / may fix.

Would I give him up for Sharp? Probably not unless I have a rebuilding team where I can stash Garland for the year or two it is going to take for him to make the possible jump to the NHL.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy