Thread: A tale of two teams...

The Wolverine

Default A tale of two teams...

Just thought I'd share an interesting difference between my two teams this year. The top one I had to autodraft, so the lack of choice/possible imbalance is part of the reason. However, it didn't appear too bad but add a few slow starters/strugglers and this is the result.

I'm sure it'll eventually improve but crazy difference between the two!

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: A tale of two teams...

That is quite the discrepancy. I'm assuming you at least had some picks set for the auto draft? Who did you end up with that's dragging you down?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    That is quite the discrepancy. I'm assuming you at least had some picks set for the auto draft? Who did you end up with that's dragging you down?
    Yeah I had rankings but of course in a deep league it's difficult to get balance.

It's mainly my hitting, including: Abreu, JD Martinez, Cain, Dickerson and had Brantley on DL to start, who has yet to find his form. Because it's most of my top players, I'm relying on guys like Tomas, S. Castro and Herrera to keep producing. Obviously they can only do so much. Hopefully over the next month or so I'll start making up some ground and then try to use my OF depth to improve elsewhere.

Dobber Sports Titan

Yeah. Auto-drafting is definitely not something you want to have to rely on when possible, but life gets in the way. Names like Abreu and JD should get going soon enough. Hopefully it's in enough time for the ground you make up to be worth something.
    How's the pitching?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

The Wolverine

Yeah. Auto-drafting is definitely not something you want to have to rely on when possible, but life gets in the way. Names like Abreu and JD should get going soon enough. Hopefully it's in enough time for the ground you make up to be worth something.
    How's the pitching?
    Yeah I wanted to be there live but had plans and got back halfway through the draft, but was too tired to check in.

The pitching has generally been solid, and a reason why I'm not in last.

Nice to see Brantley have a good night. Hopefully this is the beginning of him coming back into form.

Up to 17th now...

Dobber Sports Titan

Keep that pace up and you'll be up to 1st in another two weeks!
    With how volatile pitching can be, it's good that you have had some luck there at least.

The Wolverine

Keep that pace up and you'll be up to 1st in another two weeks!
    With how volatile pitching can be, it's good that you have had some luck there at least.
    Haha. A modest increase - up to 15th now with 112 points. Looking at the full standings it'll take some time to make significant ground but small steps hopefully I'll get into the middle pack in the coming weeks.

This is also the same team for which I'll be claiming Maeda, so hopefully he'll help with some pitching stability while my offense improves. Brantley - get healthy and I'll happily take a strong second half.

Dobber Sports Titan

It’s worse when you look at your nights production and think, “I’m doing well” then look at the weekly score and you’re getting destroyed. I’m literally top 4 in every category, but I’m 9th/10 in the league.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Curious to see how Braun of the Dead is now doing since we're about the 40 game mark of the season Horrorfan.

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    It’s worse when you look at your nights production and think, “I’m doing well” then look at the weekly score and you’re getting destroyed. I’m literally top 4 in every category, but I’m 9th/10 in the league.
    That is quite the bad luck if you are in that situation. You should have a fairly easy time improving though! You're just playing everyone on their best week eh?

The Wolverine

Curious to see how Braun of the Dead is now doing since we're about the 40 game mark of the season Horrorfan.
    See three posts up.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    See three posts up.
    Completely missed that! I thought 2014OG's post was the new one on it today. Glad you're going in the right direction anyways

The Wolverine

Thought I'd provide an update for those who care:

Yeah, the first one is a write off. The gaps are quite large in a few categories that I'll be lucky to make up much ground the rest of the way. The other is still going well and as you can see it's a comfortable lead. Not being complacent, and watching my team closely and how the close categories are progressing. Should be an interesting last 1+ months.

Dobber Sports Titan

You moved up one spot in both leagues. It's amazing how much the start really matters though!

The Wolverine

You moved up one spot in both leagues. It's amazing how much the start really matters though!
    Yep, in the top one it was a slow start with most of my players, and then improved a bit but then stagnated again (especially hitting). It would've been good if I could have upgraded but it's difficult in a deep league when a lot of players are playing just average. My first pick was Abreu (20th overall). My best hitter (who played the whole season) is Odubel Herrera. That says it all. Oh well.

The other league is going better than I would have ever expected. It was a good start but an even better stretch once June rolled around, which put me into first and haven't trailed since. It helps when you have seasons from guys like: Longoria, Semien, Myers, Tomas, Villar, Colomé and Aaron Sanchez. Add in some productive pickups (Taillon, K. Morales, J. Werth), my core (Rizzo, Lester) and a great bounce back following injury (JD Martinez).

Dobber Sports Titan

Yeah, it's amazing how fast the outlook on a team can change!
    Glad you at least have one league that is going well