Thread: Brandon Pirri - keep him or dump him?

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Brandon Pirri - keep him or dump him?

What do you guys expect from Brandon Pirri next season? I've been waiting for him to break through the last two Seasons, but nothing seems to happen. I got him on an expiring ELC, so I have to make up my mind wether to keep him or dump him.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Brandon Pirri - keep him or dump him?

What is the cost to keep him? I don't see more out of him this coming season than about 45 points, so it depends what that is worth in your league.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Newbie

1m - 1 year
    2m - 2 years
    3m - 3 years
    4m - 4 years

I'm not challenging this year, as I'm in rebuild mode.

Dobber Sports Master

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not completely clear on your salary setup, but I cannot see how he'd be worth keeping at anymore than 1 million if at all. He was a non-factor once he was sent to Anaheim, but maybe he will get some ice time if moved again or under the Ducks next coach.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Titan

You could do much worse than Pirri to take a flier on during a rebuild, but I agree with bottlenecked that he is on the fringe of being relevant. If you can wait until training camp and make a decision after you see where he is lining up, then that would probably be ideal.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Welcome to the forums.

It always helps when you offer as much detail as possible. What is your league setup? Is it a multi-cat league? How many teams? Do positions matter? What does the rest of your roster look like? Things like that.

Also, when do you have to make this decision? Can you afford to wait to see where he signs and for how much? I know the amount he signs for doesn't affect you as far as your league goes, but if he gets a juicy raise then he is probably going to get a better opportunity than if he just signs a low value contract.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Newbie

Hi guys, thanks for the welcome!

As you've all probably understood already I'm fairly new to this.

But here goes:

16 teams. 23 roster spots +15 prospect spots.

Prospects may, but do not have to, be moved into roster until they reach 82 games. They then have to sign an ELC and may not be moved down.
    The league has a draft and an auction. The draft may pick any unsigned or undrafted player with 40 games or less played.The auction is for the veterans and the winning bid becomes player salary. After winning a bid you may give the player 1 to 4 year contract. (So a contract based keeper league, like the NHL)

It is a point league that differentiates between D and F. (5g 3a for F, 7g 5a D. In addition you get points for block (0.5) hits (0.25) +/- (0.25 for F, 0.5 for D), GWG (1), ShP (1) Shootout goals (3). Minor penalty (negative 1 point) A Russell like blocker will accumulate a lot of free points. So it plays somewhat like a category League.
    Goalies get 0.2 for saves, 4p for wins and 5p for a shutout. (In addition to unlikely assists (5))

The draft is very important, since it potentially ensures a player for nearly 9 seasons. (Prospect - 2 year ELC - Up to 4 year RFA contract - 1 year RFA extention.) (We do have offer sheet options after ELC, but that would net good draft picks if not matched)
    It becomes imperative to find low-wage steals in the auction. Players that I can identify to have a breakthrough year or bounce back season and goes quite cheaply.

Players who may not have highest ceiling in prospect draft, but can contribute quite well immediately may also be great for cap Control.

With all that said, you're more than welcome to offer me any advice, not only on Pirri.

Looking forward to learn from all of you!

Administrator

What are the alternatives to Pirri? When you say bounce-back candidates go cheap, can you give examples of past signings that proved to be steals?

I feel this would help gauge Pirri's value to your team...

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    What are the alternatives to Pirri? When you say bounce-back candidates go cheap, can you give examples of past signings that proved to be steals?

I feel this would help gauge Pirri's value to your team...
    Brad Marchand for example. He had a fairly quiet 14/15 season, got signed up for 1 mill through 2019 and answered with 60+ points this season.

What I'm really asking does anyone see Pirri breaking through soon? He has goal scoring potential, but doesn't seem to figure it out for now.

Administrator

I'd let Pirri go. Even before Marchand's breakout year I would have put money down on him way before Pirri. If those types are readily available then I'd go into the auction draft and see what comes up.

Pirri *could* break out (I doubt it) but I think your odds are better looking somewhere else.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'd let Pirri go. Even before Marchand's breakout year I would have put money down on him way before Pirri. If those types are readily available then I'd go into the auction draft and see what comes up.

Pirri *could* break out (I doubt it) but I think your odds are better looking somewhere else.
    Thanks for the advice!