Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Leicester City wins the Premiership!

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Leicester City wins the Premiership!

Congrats to Leicester. Happy for them but its also great for the EPL, gives every club hope, and Leicester played a very entertaining style.
    Tough season for my gunners....wait never mind they do this every season..same ole
    At least the spurs didnt win, that'd be too cruel
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Crazy story - good for an underdog to win through sometimes!
    My high school club played a very unsexy (/boring) style or organized soccer - went undefeated in league play my 12th grade year.
    Had a couple of guys spring out of nowhere. A lot can be done with 11 guys that mesh well together.
    Nice job by Leicester City.

Dobber Sports Titan

The Philly 76ers were like 400:1 shots at winning the NBA championship…and they ended up winning like 10games in the season. This is literally the biggest underdog victory ever I think. Like if someone put $100 down on them to win it, they won what more people get paid in a yr before taxes.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    The Philly 76ers were like 400:1 shots at winning the NBA championship…and they ended up winning like 10games in the season. This is literally the biggest underdog victory ever I think. Like if someone put $100 down on them to win it, they won what more people get paid in a yr before taxes.
    I think I heard Tom Hanks put $50 on it to start the season. The rich get richer...
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    thanks for posting that!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    thanks for posting that!
    Indeed, cue the Jamie Vardy bio-pic (seriously, this has to be at least a possibility).
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I think I heard Tom Hanks put $50 on it to start the season. The rich get richer...
    I guess that's why he's Tom Hanks and we're just...us. lol

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by donions View Post
    Congrats to Leicester. Happy for them but its also great for the EPL, gives every club hope, and Leicester played a very entertaining style.
    Tough season for my gunners....wait never mind they do this every season..same ole
    At least the spurs didnt win, that'd be too cruel
    exactly...for the next few decades every low budget team can say "hey, if Leicester can win the EPL...". great for a league that is dominated by the same 5-6 teams almost every year.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

The Great One

Im a pretty big soccer fan.....And Im Greek.

In the 2014 World Cup, under then Greece coach Fernando Santos, Greece went on to the round of 16 in the world cup. Their best ever finish. Coach Santos resigned after the tournament and Greece appointed Ranieri. Ranieri, at the time, was viewed as an excellent hire. An experienced coach who has coached big teams before but never really had great results for a decade ish (with Chelsea). He went on to coach Juve, Roma and Inter since.

However after Inter, Ranieri signed on with a second french division team for two years. After the first year he led Monaco to the first division and the next year he placed top 4 I believe in the French first division. Strangely enough Monaco didn't renew his contract.

In July or August, Ranieri signs with Greece to be the new head coach. Again, Greece is coming off their best finish at the World Cup. Big expectations for them coming up for the Euros.

Ranieri lasted like 5 months. He was fired in November. After big losses to Faroe Islands. Greece failed to qualify for the Euros.

Enter Leicester City. They hire Ranieri.

His appointment was initially met with scepticism; Marcus Christenson of The Guardian called it "baffling" given Ranieri's frequent recent dismissals and Greece's loss to the Faroe Islands. Christenson highlighted that Ranieri's good humour would be the antithesis to the short-tempered outbursts of his predecessor Nigel Pearson, concluding that "If Leicester wanted someone nice, they’ve got him. If they wanted someone to keep them in the Premier League, then they may have gone for the wrong guy". - Wikipedia.

-------------

Crazy to think about his story too.

Good for the guy. What a crazy ride it's been. Great for the EPL. This sort of this just DOESN'T happen.

Here are more quotes from Wiki.

After barely avoiding relegation the previous season, Leicester had started the 2015–16 Premier League campaign as 5,000–1 outsiders to win the title and[70] Ranieri's appointment had been questioned in the media.[20] The team's success has been described as a "fairytale" and the "most unlikely triumph in the history of team sport".[70] In spite of Ranieri's previous "Tinkerman" nickname, Leicester consistently played the same line-up under his stewardship using fewer players than any other team.[72]

Throughout the season, Ranieri drew praise from the media for his good humour and inspirational leadership at Leicester, and for successfully building a winning mentality and a successful team environment, while also being singled out for his tactical awareness, and for frequently taking the pressure off his players.[68] His title success led some in the media to dub him "King Claudio".[73]

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Some more good reading on Leicester City from 538 (my fave website for numbers/analytics of sports/politics/other):
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...in-two-charts/