Thread: Greiss

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Greiss

Hey all,

Any theories on what the future holds for Greiss? Does he parlay his playoff success into a starting gig, or is he a high-end backup at best?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Greiss

Well Greiss is signed with NYI for another season. With Halak's wonky groin, Greiss will likely see a similar role next season and with that the opportunity to make his case to become more than a backup.

But, at 30 years old, time might be against him. For what it's worth Halak is signed for another two seasons.
    Full Keeper: 10 Team (300 drafted), H2H, Daily, Y!
    Roster: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 10Reserve, 1IR
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW
              W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backes, Toews, Couture, Scheifele, Horvat, Fabbri
    LW: Landeskog, Galchenyuk, Lucic, Palat
    RW: Kucherov, MacKinnon, Carter, Coyle, Kassian
    D: Karlsson, Klingberg, Josi, Shattenkirk, Ekman-Larsson, Phaneuf, Nurse, Ceci
    G: Holtby, Allen, Lack, Greiss, Enroth, Kuemper

2015 League Champion
    2016 League Champion

Dobber Sports Demi-God

re: Greiss. He's solid.
    But how many goalies have that one HALF-season that was really impressive... only to settle back to earth.
    A lot... including guys like Cam Talbot and Devan Dubnyk and Ben Scrivens. (not saying those players are all the same, obv Dubnyk>>Talbot>>Scrivens)
    But the point is that ONE good season does not suggest a solid enough player.
    I think Greiss will get a 40% split next year - and if he can do it again... he'll get a longer-deal.

He's good, but I just don't think he's good enough.
    (I don't think they get by TB... and if they don't... his season will be forgetable)

Dobber Sports Deity

As wrist_shot says, he still has one more year on his current deal, and knowing how reliable (health-wise) Halak is, he will get plenty of starts next season too.

I don't think he will ever be much more than a backup, no matter where he goes.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Giant

I've been following Greiss since I drafted him back in 2005. I had held on to him until 2014, at which point I had to drop him due to roster constraints. I managed to swoop him off the waiver wire mid-season this year and I am keeping a close eye on what happens in Brooklyn this summer. The Isles may want to free up some cap space to get some added firepower up front considering that Greiss can hold the fort as well as Halak can. I'm not overly confident this could happen, but you never know.

I think Greiss has been pegged as a great backup over the years but he is more than that IMO. Craig Anderson had a similar path where he was moved from team to team, playing very well, but always stuck behind solid starters until he had a chance to shine on his own in Colorado. Greiss' chance may be ''now'', may be ''later'', may be ''never''. All I know is that he has been stellar on every team that he has played for (even with the Pens although his numbers don't show it). His career numbers stand at 130gp, 59-41-15, 2.44gaa, .917sv%, 4so, 3158svs/3443s... If those numbers came from playing on a top team with few shots against, I would say that his stats are reflective of that but it's the opposite. He's been on 4 different teams in his 6 year career and has played in front of D's that have given up high shot totals on most nights.

My advice, if you can snag him for cheap, hold on to him and see how this year plays out. If he ends up being the backup next year, be a tad patient and wait for Halak to miss time; it's a gimme at this point. From there on out, you can evaluate where he is at and how he holds up for you.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Giant

Interesting article from TSN today:

http://i.tsn.ca/story/?id=579809

Isles GM Snow: Greiss proved to be a No. 1 #TSN

It doesn't confirm anything but it's fun to speculate nonetheless... Stay tuned!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Administrator

I don't think he ever gets a starter gig. Quality backup though, like Neuvirth.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Interesting article from TSN today:

http://i.tsn.ca/story/?id=579809

Isles GM Snow: Greiss proved to be a No. 1 #TSN

It doesn't confirm anything but it's fun to speculate nonetheless... Stay tuned!
    I read that article too, and think it is just a case of Snow, in his role as GM, saying the right things at the end of the season after Greiss did his best to get the Islanders to the finals.

Greiss is not a #1 starter in my opinion, but with only Band Aid Halak in front of him, he is liable to see some time for New York.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Master

for whatever reason the isles are very high on j.f berube so I think they are comfortable using a greiss/berube tandem next season while shopping halak .

bulk of games would go to greiss but they probably end up riding the hot hand should berube start getting on a roll .

halak didnt like being in a 3 goalie rotation and complained to cappy/snow about it thus leaving a bad taste in their mouth with regards to jaro's character.

once halak became healthy (after starting season on IR) the isles couldnt send berube to ahl because he'd have to clear waivers .jaro was still ''the man'' getting the bulk of the starts once he got back into a groove but sharing the crease at practices seems to annoy the shit out of him .I suppose he doesnt realize that due the his injury concerns the isles wanted to keep berube around for insurance .

anyways , just thought I'd share that halak tidbit (I know its not breaking news)as it could affect where fantasy gm's rank greiss/berube

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I don't think he ever gets a starter gig. Quality backup though, like Neuvirth.
    This. More 1a/1b situation only because the actual starter on Isles (Halak) isn't that good and can't stay off the stretcher.

Dobber Sports Titan

If he stays with the Isles, he will be good for 35 starts and some decent numbers, making him a pretty high end backup. He is not the golden boy here, nor does he have the contract, and that really limits his ceiling. If he gets traded or something, then it will really depend who he is behind/in front of.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

As EB says.... there are four and a half million reasons why at worst this will be a 1a/1b situation next year for Halak. Will they try and move him? Possibly... will anyone bite on him? I doubt it

TBH now would be the time I would be making some sneaky enquiries on Halak and hoping to get a discounted goalie that could be a hell of a third option (his stats when he was healthy were pretty strong)

Dobber Sports Deity

Whoops by Greiss yestereday at Worlds.

http://www.tsn.ca/must-see/video/mus...wn-goal~870382
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."