Thread: Steve Santini

The Great One

Default Steve Santini

Looking to get a jump on a few people in a pretty deep pool but what do we think on this guy? A good increase in his numbers this year but does he have the potential to hit 40 points at the NHL or is he a category filler in hits and blocks only?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Re: Steve Santini

I think he's going to be a reasonably solid defenseman, but I don't think I'd be targeting him even in a league with hits/blocks. He's a smart player and plays positionally, so even though he's not afraid to step up for highlight reel hits, he's not dishing them out as often as you'd think. In terms of offense assuming you're in a league with regular categories I doubt he sees any PP time, isn't a guy who will get a lot of shots or goals, and is just an above-average basic puck mover but not really an offensive catalyst.

Dobber Sports Titan

He seems to project more along the Roman Polak kind of line than anything else if that helps you out at all. I don't see 40 points as at all likely.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Novice

Santini is tough to predict fantasy wise. I think he's a guy that every NHL team needs and will have a long NHL career. Skates well, physical and has a good first pass. He seems like a more physical Justin Braun or Dan Hamhuis. Top 4 that will grind 20-23 minutes a game.

If things go well, I would say 40 points is possible in his prime. If he does hit 40, I would not expect it again next season.

edit: added the "NOT" to expect again!