Thread: Thornton vs Voracek

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Thornton vs Voracek

Wondering some thoughts on the projections of these two players. Obviously Voracek is younger with potential but had a rough season last year, while Thornton had an amazing season last year especially for his age. Fantasy wise they are similar assist heavy ~20g producers, albeit Voracek puts up a larger number of shots.

I play in a salary cap league (see below) and after having a top team 2 years ago had to do a bit of a rebuild last season. I've amassed a large number of entry and waiver picks and should be in the playoff hunt next season, hopefully contending the following season.

I currently own Voracek at a reasonable salary of $7.92. I'm being offered Thornton ($6.00) as well as a couple minor assets. At the moment cap room isn't an issue, but after my waiver picks and free agency I'll use most of it up.

Is Thornton too good to pass up, is he going to continue his production (at a cheaper cap hit) for a couple years, or will Voracek stabilize this year back into a close to ppg pace? Should I make this trade?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    14 Person Keeper League $100 cap ($120 in season), 20% increase per year on keepers (max 12) - Yahoo HtH (7 fwd, 4 D, 2 G each week): G, A, TP, PP, PIM, SOG, W, SV%

Forwards
    : Stamkos ($15.12), Ovechkin ($13.68), Wheeler ($12.10) Backstrom ($11.52), Voracek ($9.50), Atkinson ($1.80), Nyqvist ($1.80), Kreider ($1.45)
    Defense: Doughty ($9.00),
    Gostisbehere ($7.75), Hamilton ($3.89) Dumba ($1.25) Beaulieu ($2.10) Lindholm ($1.22) Goligoski ($0.59)
    Goalies: Vasilevsky ($5.04), Hellebuyck ($1.14) Darling ($0.88) Keumper ($0.25)

Total Cap ATM: $100.73

Farm
    : Matheson, Gurianov

The Great One

Default Re: Thornton vs Voracek

Voracek had a more than 100 game stretch of point per game hockey from the last quarter of 2013-14 through all of 2014-15. In today's NHL, that means you're elite. Yes - he had a rough go of it this year, but also keep in mind he had an injury and yet still in there he had a stretch of about 30 games of point per game hockey.

As age-defying as Thornton is, I think the clear edge has to go to Voracek.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Star

voracek strictly for the reason of his relative youth and likely perceived trade value.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by kovalchuk17 View Post
    voracek strictly for the reason of his relative youth and likely perceived trade value.
    I would agree with that. In a rebuilding year Voracek definitely has a little more value. Unless the additional parts are enough to sway the balance (any further info there?).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Voracek; age is def a huge reason with 10 year gap so the potential for him to drop off abilities wise is far less than Thornton. Voracek was clearly not 100% even after he returned I did not see the jump in his stride like I know he has so going into next season have faith in Jake The Snake. As previously mentioned despite his rough start he rounded into form prior to injury and was producing post injury.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:
    D:
    G:

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Zibanejad,
    Trocheck,Kempe
    L: Draisaitl,Forsberg
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shesterkin,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Stud

I would not be the least bit surprised to see Jumbo out point Voracek again next season, however everyone before me is right in their belief that Voracek provides more long term stability and great value on the trade market.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks all for your replies. Seems that you're saying I should be patient with Voracek and so I'm leaning towards that route.

I'd still be curious on people's insights on Thorntons next few seasons, was last season a late career spike, or did the coaching change breath new life into his point totals?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    14 Person Keeper League $100 cap ($120 in season), 20% increase per year on keepers (max 12) - Yahoo HtH (7 fwd, 4 D, 2 G each week): G, A, TP, PP, PIM, SOG, W, SV%

Forwards
    : Stamkos ($15.12), Ovechkin ($13.68), Wheeler ($12.10) Backstrom ($11.52), Voracek ($9.50), Atkinson ($1.80), Nyqvist ($1.80), Kreider ($1.45)
    Defense: Doughty ($9.00),
    Gostisbehere ($7.75), Hamilton ($3.89) Dumba ($1.25) Beaulieu ($2.10) Lindholm ($1.22) Goligoski ($0.59)
    Goalies: Vasilevsky ($5.04), Hellebuyck ($1.14) Darling ($0.88) Keumper ($0.25)

Total Cap ATM: $100.73

Farm
    : Matheson, Gurianov

Dobber Sports Genius

While I like Thornton, I don't think he can have another season like the one he just had. He should still provide good value but no nearly as elite. I'd hold onto Voracek because I think this was more of a late career spike. Not to mention, Thornton is much older and there's a greater risk he regresses