Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: If you have young kids, do they do this at your house?

Default Re: If you have young kids, do they do this at your house?

It's definitely way more common than it ever was when I was younger.

I remember when I was in high school I would spend a couple of hours a night watching Counter Strike 1.6 matches online in spectate mode.
    It was great for understanding different map strategies and tactics that the pro's used - I know alot of kids these days just want to 'get better' at games which is why they watch other people play.

I think the comparison between watching the NHL and playing hockey to watching minecraft and playing minecraft is pretty ridiculous though haha

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    It's definitely way more common than it ever was when I was younger.

I remember when I was in high school I would spend a couple of hours a night watching Counter Strike 1.6 matches online in spectate mode.
    It was great for understanding different map strategies and tactics that the pro's used - I know alot of kids these days just want to 'get better' at games which is why they watch other people play.

I think the comparison between watching the NHL and playing hockey to watching minecraft and playing minecraft is pretty ridiculous though haha
    I used to play a crap load of Counter-Strike in the night time but rarely did I watch videos of game play.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I used to play a crap load of Counter-Strike in the night time but rarely did I watch videos of game play.
    you know what... I really think part of it is as simple as kids wanting to watch other play the games they currently play, but at far more elite levels. Like us wanting to watch prop hockey play at elite levels in their craft, we may actually take to the ice our selves in our house leagues/school leagues/beer leagues, but we can only dream about reaching the level of the pro-athletes and we watch them for entertainment and because we love and/or respect the sport.

My son watches all those videos himself, partly for entertainment and also partly to then try and emulate what he sees on the screen. no unlike grabbing the hockey stick and street hockey ball and trying to bounce the stick on the blade as he sees Crosby do it.. or just this past weekend, set up a bunch of pucks on the pavement and wanted me to watch him try and stick handle through those obstacles "Patrick Kane Style". Watch video's of people playing video games because they want to see how to succeed and/or what to strive for in addition to just plain entertainment.

My take from what I've watched of my kids.

I remember our cal-p team would actually spend about an hour or so just watching cal-i matches and taking notes haha
    Those were the days!

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by dooley89 View Post
    I remember our cal-p team would actually spend about an hour or so just watching cal-i matches and taking notes haha
    Those were the days!
    Ya, my old clan was in a Cal league for a while. Good times indeed!

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

I played my share of video games as a kid (and still do). But my generation still spent far more time outside playing road hockey, soccer, baseball, tag, anything really than it did inside playing SNES, Sega, N64 and such. I wish kids these days would spend more time outside than what I see throughout my neighbourhoods. I absolutely beam the minimal times I see kids playing outside.

The Great One

Two words - new normal.

Watching MTV was downright bizarre to my parents, who wondered why just listening to the song wouldn't suffice. Kids today like watching others play games because it adds that extra dimension that doesn't exist when one plays something oneself.

My kids are 12 and 10 and fall into the same category as many of the others mentioned ITT. As long as they're still being otherwise socially and academically inclined, plus are willing to play and exercise, I'm fine with it.

Just think - for those of you like me who have boys, pretty soon it will be "other" kinds of videos, and you'll be wishing for the simplicity of these days......lol.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Superstar

I am certainly not freaking out per say, just curious if this is something other parents see at their home as well and if it's a normal thing.

That's why I asked the question.
    I don't have kids of my own, but it has come up as a lunch conversation topic among co-workers a number of times.

Apparently there's a big convention for some game (I forget which) that's a popular spectator event.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Wizard

My 5 year old step daughter does this.... She's gotten away from the unwrapping videos a bit, but is really into watching people play minecraft now.

I know when I was younger, and still actually.... I enjoyed watching my friends play a game. I'd play them too, but sometimes I'd just watch them on one player. Don't know, it's kinda fun.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Administrator

The analogy is driving a car vs being passenger. Different perspective gives you the chance to enjoy different aspects instead of being focused on the road.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Expert

I only watch these videos when i'm stuck in a game and need some ideas or help.

Watching sports is something different, i can't just go and play hockey anytime, you need a rink, teammates, refs and another team. So if there's no game scheduled, i just watch it on tv. I prefer to play myself, but it's just not always possible.

A video game can be played everywhere and any time.

Overall people should watch whatever they like, i just don't get it, but i don't have to.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I will say, one of the biggest downsides to modern tech/information age is the "NOW" factor.
    Kids have limited patience for getting an answer or a solution.
    My 6-year old doesn't understand when ANYTHING can't be done within a 5minute span.
    WAIT is not a word she has in her world.
    This is one reason I worry about today and tomorrow's youth. No one wants to start at the bottom in their job or at least do the jobs typical of the entry level. Very few understand saving up for something big and then buying it outright. Just put it on credit, especially while interest rates are so low. One day that may change and people will not be able to afford what they could the year before. Obviously (thankfully), not every kid is like this.

Overall - the tech age is upon us.
    Probably 50%+ of all jobs will require high-level computering skills by 2030... so it's OK (by me) that kids these days spend more & more time on computers...
    By 50%+ of all jobs, you mean in developed nations...because we'll still need those sweatshop kids in Indonesia, Thailand, etc. to keep putting together all our fancy new technology in order to keep the price relatively affordable.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Monster

I was hanging out with my nephew and I was reading this thread. I asked him if he does that and his eyes lit up and said "YEP!". Lol I find it hilarious. But then again, I love playing poker and always watch poker...at least 2-3 hours a day so who am I to judge? lol

Dobber Sports Guru

So TBS will be airing eleague starting this Friday. Basically they are showing people playing video games on television.

From this article:

Competitive gaming has been featured on television before, but this is the first time a major broadcaster has dedicated 10 weeks of airtime to live tournaments. The matches stream on Twitch every Tuesday beginning at noon EDT. Group play will see teams play one another twice over the course of two days. Each victory is worth one point. Based on point totals, the four teams will be ranked, with the first-place team playing the fourth-place team and the second playing the third on Thursday. The winners will advance to the weekly final, which will air live on TBS. The two losing teams will compete to advance to the "Last Chance Qualifier" round.
    Also, here's a commercial.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Deity

Dear god, LOL!