Thread: Got a different type of question: My player's comparables?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Got a different type of question: My player's comparables?

I've been doing a bit of a rebuild for the past 2 years, so you could say I am fairly invested in my players. I am curious as to who you would compare my players to/who is almost equivalent in terms of fantasy value.

I am looking to see if my perception of my players is correct or if I'm over-/under-valuing them. I usually look at Dobbers rankings, but I need a bigger perspective.

Who would you compare to:

Scheifele -

Stone -

Kucherov -

Galchenyuk -

Huberdeau -

Draisaitl -

Ehlers -

Faulk -

Any comparables would be great. Hopefully this isn't too obscure.

Thanks in advance.
    14 Team | Keep 5 | H2H Weekly Lock
    Start: 2 x C, LW, RW | 4 x D | 1 x G

Scoring System:

+/- (0.5), G (3), A (2), PIM (0.25), PPG (1), PPA (1), SHG (2), ShG (1), BLK (0.1), HIT (0.1), GWG (1), HT (2)
    W (5), SHO (3), S (0.2), GA (-1), ShSv (0.2)

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Got a different type of question: My player's comparables?

Do you mean in terms of current production? Or in terms of upside?

For example, in my opinion Kucherov's current comparable is somewhere in the Forsberg / Gaudreau range. His upside comparable for me is in the Tavares / Seguin range. But obviously he isn't worth Tavares / Seguin in a trade. That is just where I think he could end up. Note that I am giving comparables in terms of value, not necessarily playing style.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I personally hate comparables, I think it's a bad way to measure players. Also, people always get up in arms about them.

Ex. RNH plays like Gretzky. He's not as good as Gretzky, he will never be Gretzky, that's not his upside, just the style with which they play the game of hockey is very comparable. However you through that out and then people lose their minds. RNH will probably never top 70 points, but that doesn't change the fact that he plays a very similar style to Gretzky.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    I personally hate comparables, I think it's a bad way to measure players. Also, people always get up in arms about them.

Ex. RNH plays like Gretzky. He's not as good as Gretzky, he will never be Gretzky, that's not his upside, just the style with which they play the game of hockey is very comparable. However you through that out and then people lose their minds. RNH will probably never top 70 points, but that doesn't change the fact that he plays a very similar style to Gretzky.
    I THINK he is asking about value comparables, not playing style comparables. But he will need to clarify that.

Yeah, value comparables.

The Kucherov example was perfect, thank you. I wanted to keep the question more open-ended, but I guess I am looking more at current production, since this is "measurable".

Dobber Sports Pro

Scheifele - Current Comparables: Turris/Zuccarello Upside Comparables: Johanssen/Carter

Stone - Current Comparables: Voracek/Duchene Upside Comparables: Hall/Panarin

Kucherov - Current Comparables: Forsberg/Gaudreau Upside Comparables: Tavares/Seguin

Galchenyuk - Don't have a good enough bead on him.

Huberdeau - Current Comparables: Kreider/Schenn Upside Comparables: Nash/Parise

Draisaitl - Current Comparables: Barkov/Domi Upside Comparables: Getzlaf/Pavelski

Ehlers - Current Comparables: Bennett/Larkin Upside Comparables: Kuznetsov/Tarasenko

Faulk - Don't have a good enough bead on him.

I am sure plenty of people will disagree strongly with a lot of these. Again, I am not saying that these guys necessarily play anything like their comparables style-wise... just that in your league with you categories these are the guys i think they are currently reasonably close in value for trade purposes, and what their ultimate value upside is.

Dobber Sports Genius

First of all everyone has to consider your league stats. With that being said from a value stand point please see the below:

Scheifele - Jeff Carter.

Stone - ROR is about comparable. Or a Krecjci if were talking a veteran player.

Kucherov - Forsberg, Johansen.

Galchenyuk - Derek Stepan.

Huberdeau - Bandon Saad.

Draisaitl - Mackinnon.

Ehlers - Duclair.

Faulk - Carlson, Krug, Barrie range.

Outside the Draisaitil and Mack trade which I tried to gauge upside on. I would say if you made a one for one with anyone I mention people would say it was a fair trade.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    First of all everyone has to consider your league stats. With that being said from a value stand point please see the below:

Scheifele - Jeff Carter.

Stone - ROR is about comparable. Or a Krecjci if were talking a veteran player.

Kucherov - Forsberg, Johansen.

Galchenyuk - Derek Stepan.

Huberdeau - Bandon Saad.

Draisaitl - Mackinnon.

Ehlers - Duclair.

Faulk - Carlson, Krug, Barrie range.
    Don't see anything here that I would strongly disagree with, except that I value Huberdeau more than Brandon Saad for sure and I think that Carter is Scheifele's upside, not his current value comparable. We will see whether he keeps that 1st line center spot or if Little takes it back. That makes a big difference.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    Outside the Draisaitil and Mack trade which I tried to gauge upside on. I would say if you made a one for one with anyone I mention people would say it was a fair trade.
    This is exactly the way I tried to look at it for current value. What are fair one for one trades where neither side gets a total steal.

These are fantastic. Not an easy task, so thank you. REP when I get a chance.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Scheifele - Current Comparables: Turris/Zuccarello Upside Comparables: Johanssen/Carter

Stone - Current Comparables: Voracek/Duchene Upside Comparables: Hall/Panarin

Kucherov - Current Comparables: Forsberg/Gaudreau Upside Comparables: Tavares/Seguin

Galchenyuk - Don't have a good enough bead on him.

Huberdeau - Current Comparables: Kreider/Schenn Upside Comparables: Nash/Parise

Draisaitl - Current Comparables: Barkov/Domi Upside Comparables: Getzlaf/Pavelski

Ehlers - Current Comparables: Bennett/Larkin Upside Comparables: Kuznetsov/Tarasenko

Faulk - Don't have a good enough bead on him.

I am sure plenty of people will disagree strongly with a lot of these. Again, I am not saying that these guys necessarily play anything like their comparables style-wise... just that in your league with you categories these are the guys i think they are currently reasonably close in value for trade purposes, and what their ultimate value upside is.
    Really like your summary here. I would say Faulk is Weber 2.0 without the same shot and minus a little size.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)