Thread: 6th Pick in Rookie Draft

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default 6th Pick in Rookie Draft

For the league in my sig.

I have the 6th pick in our rookie draft this season. I could use prospects on offense or defense, so i'm not too picky here.

I'm assuming Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, and Tkachuk will go 1-4. I have no idea who will go at 5. How would you rank Chychrun, Dubois, Juolevi, and Nylander?

Would you suggest that I try to trade my 6th+ to move up to the second spot and get either Laine or Matthews? I've been thinking about it. Or should I trade down from 6 and snag whoever falls? Should I just stay put and draft best available?
    - 12 team, 40 keeper dynasty league
    - Scoring categories for skaters: G, A, PIM, HIT, BLK, STP, FOW, SOG, +/-, DEF, ATOI
    - Scoring categories for goalies: W, SV, SV%, SO, GAA
    - Start 12F, 6D, 3UTIL, 3 min goalie starts a week
    - Starters in bold

Forwards: MacKinnon, Tarasenko, Tavares, Panarin, Johansen, Ehlers, E. Kane, Lee, Huberdeau, Horvat, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Pacioretty, Meier, Fabbri, Sikura, Zacha, Burakovsky, Spooner, Jost, Roussel, Kaprizov, Cirelli, Berglund,

Defense: Pietrangelo, Parayko, Dumba, Faulk, Provorov, Muzzin, McAvoy, Carlson, Nurse, Del Zotto, Borowiecki, Russell

Goalies: Jones, Vasilevskiy, Raanta, Keumper, Remier, Demko

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: 6th Pick in Rookie Draft

I agree with your 1-4. Five and six are Dubois and Nylander for me.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm in a similar pickle with my 3rd pick, only I'm also mixing Ghost in with the three of them because of who we're allowed in our draft.

With your scoring format, I think that brings Chychruns value up a little, but his NHL draft stock seems to be sliding over the last few months.

I'd rank them Dubouis (who I'd actually have ahead of Tkachuk for your format), Joulevi, Nylander, Chychrun. Personally I'd be gunning hard for Dubois, if he turns out to have the physical presence in the show early, he will by far hold more value in your league, he's a guy I'd try to trade up to 4 for. That is if you're confident the other three will go first. Also depends where you feel you have more of a hole in your lineup. I'd say you're fine at 6 unless I've convinced you that Dubois will be a monster for you. At 6 you should promise yourself one of the defencemen which is who I'd take if Dubois is gone when you're up! Good luck!
    DobberProspects Writer: Ex-Tampa Bay Lightning Prospects, Current New York Rangers Prospects @olaf1393

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by olafson1393 View Post
    I'd rank them Dubouis (who I'd actually have ahead of Tkachuk for your format), Joulevi, Nylander, Chychrun. Personally I'd be gunning hard for Dubois, if he turns out to have the physical presence in the show early, he will by far hold more value in your league, he's a guy I'd try to trade up to 4 for. That is if you're confident the other three will go first. Also depends where you feel you have more of a hole in your lineup. I'd say you're fine at 6 unless I've convinced you that Dubois will be a monster for you. At 6 you should promise yourself one of the defencemen which is who I'd take if Dubois is gone when you're up! Good luck!
    Well said my friend.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i'd be tempted to take a D over nylander too. no idea how D are valued in your league though, if scoring wingers are more valuable then take Nylander. Dubois for sure if he's there given your league counts FOW.

don't bother moving up to 2 or 3. The hype on Laine/Puljujarvi, mostly the former, is through the roof. I'm hearing some people calling him the next Ovechkin LOL

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I agree with your 1-4. Five and six are Dubois and Nylander for me.
    I think you will end up with Nylander at 6. If Dubois is available though, he would be my pick.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The choice would definitely be between Dubois and Nylander for me. I would actually lean more towards Nylander as I think he has a higher upside offensively and, similar to his brothers draft year, could end up being the best offensive player outside of the top 3.
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMS, SOG, STP; W, SO, SV%, GAA

C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Larkin, Pavelski (RW)
    LW Panarin, Ehlers , Ovechkin, Verhaeghe (C), Beauvillier, Killorn
    RW: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Wheeler, Mangiapane (LW)
    D: Makar, Hughes, Krug; Pietrangelo, Schmidt, Andersson, Gostibehere
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd go with Dubois or Tkachuk or Nylander.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Genius

What part of the world do most of the GM in your league live? Is there an overwhelming majority that follows one team? If you can take the first round pick from that team - do it then flip it to a GM that follows that team for a more NHL ready prospect.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Icon

I think we all have to wait until we see who is drafted by what team no?

I have 5 and 6..so intrested in his thread but I am waiting to see where guys go first.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Padawan

There are a lot of questions after the big 3, that's because Edmonton could do one of three things

1) Take Dubois or Tkachuk who would provide that grit on the wing to drive possession IMO
    2) Take what they would believe could be a top pairing dman, Olli
    3) Trade back to the 6/7 spot pick up a pick or assest and then take their defenseman.

Looking at your scoring categories I'd expect 1-5 Matthews Laine Puljujarvi Tkachuk Dubois after that it's your pick and in a multi cat league do you value the playmaking RW that won't give you a lot of H+B PIM or do you want that top pair dman that could get you 40 points with H+B ATOI etc.

I lost our lottery and finished with picks 2/7/8 in a 16 team league. If one of the top 6 fall back one position I take them and a defenseman, if not I pop a 2015 who wasn't picked and a dman.
    16 Team H2H Dynasty
    G A Pt PIM SoG PPP H+B FOW DZS
    W Svs GAA Sv%

C Scheifele Tavares Dvorack Eller
    LW Domi Aho Ritchie Vrana
    RW Tarasenko J Williams Laine Sheary
    D Klefbom M Rielly Spurgeon Provorov Ellis Dahlin
    R White Kase Schmaltz Thomas Anston-Reese Lindell Theodore

G McEhlinney C Anderson
    R Kuemper

M Bjork Raddysh Kravtsov Ylonen Soderstorm Gilles Gustavsson Point Khakonen Delia Hill

Dobber Sports Wizard

I'd look at moving up for the #2 pick, or even #3. Those top 3 guys are a cut above the rest. If the price is too high for you, then look for hopefully Dubois at 6 but Nylander would be an ok choice as well.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar