Thread: Kayaking Question

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Kayaking Question

I’m curious on if anyone Kayak’s on the regular and if they could give me some tips on buying one.

I’m looking for something to do through the summer, and I live like a 5minute drive to Lake Ontario, so that’s where I’d be kayaking often. It’s for exercise and to be outside more. My family friends have a cottage, so I would be bringing it up there maybe twice a summer.

So my questions on this:
    What do I legally need to have on/in the kayak when on Lake Ontario or any other lake?
    What SHOULD I have, but not necessarily legal to have?
    How much should I be spending on a kayak?
    I’m 6’7”, what size should I be buying? I know length is more if you want speed or maneuverability, but at my height, a longer kayak would be needed to a point is my assumption.

I found this Kayak which looks pretty solid. But I’m heading to my doctor about my shoulder after work today, so this may all be moot depending on what he says lol. http://www.sail.ca/en/seasonal/kayak...ick-120-265852

Thanks
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Kayaking Question

I think as an introductory kayak, the one you pegged out is a great choice (good deal too). They have some at Costco at different times in the summer as well. I'm 5'11 and I have plenty of room in mine, but at 6'7 you may be a tad limited when choosing one so look for 10'+ ones; especially if you want to be comfortable. Mine was on sale for $199 at the end of the summer at a local outdoors store (reg. $399), but anything from $200-$500 should be good. Just make sure that the Kayak is closed since the leisure ones tend to be open and offer a less comfortable experience IMO (they are less expensive though). As for the paddles, ask the salesperson as you do not need high end stuff but you will want one that is solid yet lightweight.

I usually have a life jacket, rope and a whistle when I go out here in Quebec. I stick to calm water and bring my fishing rod from time to time; it's very relaxing. PS: You do not need any type of license to use your kayak but here in Quebec, you need a fishing permit should you want to fish.

Here is a list from MEC that can help you with basic regulations and below some extra info from Transport Canada:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ContentPrimary...ddlingGear.jsp

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...owered-308.htm
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Titan

When you talk about a Kayak that is open vs closed, is that like the “Step in ones” when there’s nothing over your legs vs the type where you can/will wear the skirt?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Genius

lots on youtube as far as how to buy and what to look for - i just looked. you should have no problem finding answers. my mom has a "rec" one for the lake north of Kingston - not easy to get into or out of and I always find them a little tipsy on rougher waters - i haven't mastered the technique by any means - and i always swear by a life jacket ...great to take out along the shore line late in evening or early am when water is crystal clear. think my mom spent 3-400 dollars - home hardware - holds her and me at 5'11 and 230 pds....for lake ontario, i'd want something sturdy and that comes with a lifeguard......good luck OG.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    When you talk about a Kayak that is open vs closed, is that like the “Step in ones” when there’s nothing over your legs vs the type where you can/will wear the skirt?
    Exactly. The ones with nothing over your legs are usually built more like a peddle boat. You will get a better ''kayak'' feel with the closed, longer/sleeker versions IMO
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Since you are not fishing, a SIK (sit-in) is ideal over SOT (sit on top). Granted, if you plan to be getting in and out a lot, the SOT might be preferred. I'd definitely buy used since you will save a lot and can a lot more yak for the same $. I would look at a 12'-14' SIK that is sleek. Buying a kayak is always a compromise- long, sleek, less nimble, less stable and FAST or short, nimble, more stable and SLOW. Short, stable, and slow is ideal for people fishing small rivers. Since you are planning on kayakying a big body of water and will cover some distance, I'd look for something on the longer, sleeker range. A Wilderness System Pungo 14 with its big cockpit would be ideal. You can find them used. Good luck.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Since you are not fishing, a SIK (sit-in) is ideal over SOT (sit on top). Granted, if you plan to be getting in and out a lot, the SOT might be preferred. I'd definitely buy used since you will save a lot and can a lot more yak for the same $. I would look at a 12'-14' SIK that is sleek. Buying a kayak is always a compromise- long, sleek, less nimble, less stable and FAST or short, nimble, more stable and SLOW. Short, stable, and slow is ideal for people fishing small rivers. Since you are planning on kayakying a big body of water and will cover some distance, I'd look for something on the longer, sleeker range. A Wilderness System Pungo 14 with its big cockpit would be ideal. You can find them used. Good luck.
    Excellent analysis Daydream. I own one of each ( both Pelican ). I found my longer, sleeker one was not nimble enough for navigating the rapids in the river I run. So I got my shorter one for that purpose. BTW I paid $399 for my longer Pelican at Costco and $299 for my shorter one on sale at Canadian Tire. I am a casual kayaker and very happy with both.