Thread: Gostisbehere

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Gostisbehere

League in sig. Ghost will be a re-up for me, which means I can keep him next year only for a $5 increase in salary. I am considering trading him, because I think he has to regress at least a little. Is he a 60-point D-man? Pushing it, but he is a solid 50, more than likely.

There's one owner in the league with contract issues, so my thought is to offer him Ghost + Brett Ritchie for Scheifele (2 yrs) and one of Mikko Rantanen or Kyle Connor, or for Rantanen+Connor (I saw Rantanen a lot here in San Antonio, very high on him). I'm down to Ritchie, Kapanen & Gillies, so this replenishes my prospects and helps build my future a little. If I do this, I'll be down to Dumba on D, but there will be lots of D-men available in the auction, and D prospects such as Honka, Matheson, Werenski, Theodore are available.

What do you think? Move forward? Is that a good price or should I get more? Or just keep him?

Thanks!

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Default Re: Gostisbehere

Hold. A pittance of an increase for a minimal risk with big potential. A lot of questionsmarks with all the players mentioned. However, you know (a tiny bit more) what you got in Ghost at the NHL-level vs Rantanen/Connor

I...am your father.

I actually like your deal. Scheifele locked in for two years, plus an elite prospect like Rantanen or Connor. Ghost will be a 60-point D, but not next year. I agree with you that he regresses a little to the low 50s. Still awesome, but I really like your return here.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ace

If I had an offer of Rantanen and Connor for Ghost, it would be very hard to say no. Scheifele is a very good player, but given a choice of him at 2 years or the youngsters at 5 years, I'd have to say that I'd prefer the latter of the two.

Imagine what Kyle Connor and Rantanen would do at age 23. If you can manage to include one of your prospects in the deal to sweeten your side a bit - this would make a very good deal even better.

Dobber Sports Titan

I do not think Ghost-Bear will be a top scoring D-man; he’ll be a 40pt guy the second he’s treated like a D-man by the coach. You can’t keep giving this guy 62% O-Zone starts and have guys like Provorov, Morin, and Sanheim getting ice-time too. I think he’s a flash in the pan at the pace he was at this yr.

Re-draft, he’s too rich for my blood, and I’d be selling him this offseason for sure if I had him.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

With the demand he's in, I wouldn't drop him to the pool as I know he would go for more than the $6 I would pay next year. Hard to come by even 40 point guys for that. But I'm definitely thinking of selling. However, I managed to get Rantanen by trading him Tyson Barrie, who is a very marginal keep at $22 and mixing in some draft picks.

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I like Ghost to be a consistent 45-50pt D man.
    [I do believe many are overhyping his rookie year... we did this with Fowler & Doughty... took their rookie/2nd year seasons... and called them 50-60pt D-men forever).

Ghost's not going to log the even-strength ice time to garner 50+ consistently. (ala Karlsson, Subban, Burns, Klingberg).
    He'll soak a lot of PP1 time on a very dynamic PHI PP.
    More of a 25 ESP / 25 PPP split type of guy.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    [I do believe many are overhyping his rookie year... we did this with Fowler & Doughty... took their rookie/2nd year seasons... and called them 50-60pt D-men forever).

Ghost's not going to log the even-strength ice time to garner 50+ consistently. (ala Karlsson, Subban, Burns, Klingberg).
    I agree with this analysis. It is possible Ghost exceeds these expectations in the years to come by increasing his defensive acumen and getting more minutes, but I think somewhere around 50 points a year is a safe projection. This type of production makes him a very valuable asset, but I think at the moment he is overvalued and it is worth putting him out there if you own him to see what you might get in return.

I think the deal that you are looking at finminer is definitely worth strong consideration.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by finminer View Post
    With the demand he's in, I wouldn't drop him to the pool as I know he would go for more than the $6 I would pay next year. Hard to come by even 40 point guys for that. But I'm definitely thinking of selling. However, I managed to get Rantanen by trading him Tyson Barrie, who is a very marginal keep at $22 and mixing in some draft picks.
    That's a very good deal.

Regarding your original deal, it really depends on what cost Scheifele is at for those two years versus your ability to re-up Gostisbehere going forward. If you can keep him at $6, $11, $16 for the next 3 years, then I would Scheifele on a contract in the high teens or very low twenties to make that worthwhile.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

This. Add in Philly's other defencemen who play a more well rounded game and he won't hit the even strength time to get to the Karlsson/Burns etc. level. I too think his rookie year has been overhyped, we've seen excellent rookie seasons in the past only to wither away to more reasonable production in subsequent years when they are asked to take on a bigger role that is out of their realm.

Also the return of Scheifele+ is great. Scheifele is pretty underrated and I think often overlooked. He hit 61 points on a fairly poor Jets squad. When Little went down, he really stepped up and I think has taken that leap forward. Injuries aside, I'd say Scheifele's floor is 55 points here on out. Add in Rantanen/Connor, that's a hell of a return on Ghost.