Thread: Dubnyk broke his index finger in Game 1 of first rnd series

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Dubnyk broke his index finger in Game 1 of first rnd series

Devan Dubnyk was dealing with a broken index finger since Game 1 of the Wild's first round series.

Dubnyk finished the series with a 3.34 GAA and .877 save percentage in six start. We can't know how much the injury impacted his play, but obviously another factor was the Stars' offensive prowess.

Source: Michael Russo on Twitter

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Dubnyk broke his index finger in Game 1 of first rnd series

Quote Originally Posted by blackaces View Post
    Devan Dubnyk was dealing with a broken index finger since Game 1 of the Wild's first round series.

Dubnyk finished the series with a 3.34 GAA and .877 save percentage in six start. We can't know how much the injury impacted his play, but obviously another factor was the Stars' offensive prowess.

Source: Michael Russo on Twitter
    Do we know if this was his right hand or left? I could see it affecting his play less on the catching hand, as that would be much more easily managed by splinting it to the middle finger.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Can't find anywhere that says which index finger. I know that the stick hand index finger is very important in controlling the stick and I would think if it's the catching hand it would be pain management.

Dobber Sports Titan

Can't find anywhere that says which index finger. I know that the stick hand index finger is very important in controlling the stick and I would think if it's the catching hand it would be pain management.
    That was my thought too. Some magic spray on the left hand and he's playing fine. Right hand however would be really tough for a goalie to deal with.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Novice

I read that it was his blocker hand.
    16 Team Yahoo H2H - Dynasty, 25 Players
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i think he broke it after the series. took one look at his save percentage and had to make a good excuse

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by TRazzy66 View Post
    I read that it was his blocker hand.
    Mind posting a link if you can find it again?

Dobber Sports Titan

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comm..._index_finger/

This is the best I could find. Would be the blocker side in that case.

Dobber Sports Titan

I read blocker side as well. I’ve had a broken finger and played hockey with it. Depends where he broke it, but it’s pretty easy to deal with I think. With the amount of stuff they have in the locker rooms, ever period he could get it numbed again.

He doesn’t even need to grip tightly with his fingers if it’s blocker hand, just needs to curl them to a natural position to avoid forearm crapping/tiring.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I read blocker side as well. I’ve had a broken finger and played hockey with it. Depends where he broke it, but it’s pretty easy to deal with I think. With the amount of stuff they have in the locker rooms, ever period he could get it numbed again.

He doesn’t even need to grip tightly with his fingers if it’s blocker hand, just needs to curl them to a natural position to avoid forearm crapping/tiring.
    I'm going to guess you aren't a goalie olympic. The index finger on your blocker/stick hand is very important. It guides and controls your stick. Never mind the pain issue you just can't play well with any kind of substantial break in it. Sure you can freeze it but then you lose the "feel" you need to control the stick.

While my son was playing NCAA hockey,he had an undefeated season going when he took a puck in warmup before a game and it broke his index finger. It finished his season.

Dobber Sports Genius

Crazy how some guys play through injuries like that. Have to wonder if a healthy Kuemper could have done a better job

Dobber Sports Titan

I'm going to guess you aren't a goalie olympic. The index finger on your blocker/stick hand is very important. It guides and controls your stick. Never mind the pain issue you just can't play well with any kind of substantial break in it. Sure you can freeze it but then you lose the "feel" you need to control the stick.

While my son was playing NCAA hockey,he had an undefeated season going when he took a puck in warmup before a game and it broke his index finger. It finished his season.
    Depends on the break, but most NHL doctors will say, “If you can handle the pain, it won’t make it worse”.

Howard was doing it in the regular season back in 2012, I do think he missed a couple of games, but the doctor told him he’s able to go play when he was ready. It’s the same with anything in the hand or foot, if you can handle the pain, you can play in an NHL game. It’s not like a muscle tear, or a major bone break (leg, arm).
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Minnesota was forced to play the way the Stars wanted to play.. And without Parise, the Wild just couldn't do it.. I think with Parise there is atleast a game 7 and maybe even a 2nd round match against the Blues..

I wouldn't blame the series loss on Dubnyk, especially because he was playing injured..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..