Thread: 3rd overall pick - trade down?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default 3rd overall pick - trade down?

We've just had our year end draft lottery, and I won! I know that sounds somewhat Leaf-esque, but I actually didn't finish last, nor did I move to first. I finished fifth from last, so the highest I was able to move up to was 3rd in the draft. Now I'm torn, I was happy with my 5th pick because I knew I would get one of Laine, Puljujarvi, Gostisbehre, or Trochek, but now I'm not sure.

I have them ranked in the following order: Ghost, Laine, Trochek, Puljujarvi.

After this pick, I pick next at 17, 21, and 24, so also some top prospects in there, after that down to 35, 45(or 57 conditional), and 56, so not so much assurance down there.

What I'm wondering, is if it makes sense to trade down with my first pick to get back into the 5-6 spot, and potentially move up from 17 to maybe 10ish. I think I'd prefer one of the established guys, but what I really want to know before I make that call is - are Laine and Puljujarvi sure shots to exceed what Trochek is looking like? If I can grab Parayko or Werenski or even Chychrun is it worth taking one of the young guys 3rd and leaving Ghost on the board to grab a defenseman anywhere between 17 and 24?

Again, my picks are 3, 17, 21, 24, 35 45(57), 56.

I think most short term (1-2 yr) assurance drops off around the 25 spot in my rankings - starts getting into the Buchnevich's, Jost's, Hyman's, Weal's, Sheary's, Bean's of the prospect world. Thoughts?
    DobberProspects Writer: Ex-Tampa Bay Lightning Prospects, Current New York Rangers Prospects @olaf1393

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: 3rd overall pick - trade down?

I think it really depends on what you can get in the trade down. I think at three you should be looking at Ghost if you keep the pick.
    Past that, Tro/Jesse P is a tough call for me, and I may just take Tro based on the fact he is producing now, and that you won't have to wait 2-3 years to see the development path.

There isn't a big drop off down to 5th though, and if you can get Parayko/Werenski + 5th for 3rd, I would be running with that, since I would have those two young D in your category of possible picks at 3 anyways.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would keep the pick and go with Laine or Ghost.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    I would keep the pick and go with Laine or Ghost.
    This.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Trocheck doesn't compare at all to the other three. I'd rank them

Laine
    Puljujarvi
    Ghost

Trochek

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Trocheck doesn't compare at all to the other three. I'd rank them

Laine
    Puljujarvi
    Ghost

Trochek
    I agree. I like Trocheck, but I don't see much more than 60 from him. Ghost might get you that from the backend at some point and Laine/JP have high ceilings.

I'd keep the pick and take Laine
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Nothing wrong with seeing what trade options are out there, looks like a pretty good crop of draft eligible players so a couple extra picks would be nice. Is Kyle Connor available - would have him in top 5 or 6.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I would definitely look into what you can get for moving down. 5th pick looks like it will grab you some decent talent and an other piece as well. Never hurts to get some feelers.
    Keeper League 12 Teams; Weekly/H2H; G&A=1pt/Wins=2pts/SO=2pt; Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G; 25 max roster, positions based on Fantrax

Starting Roster
    LW=J. Jokinen, J. Pavelski, C. Soderberg
    C=V. Rask, D. Stepan, N. Kadri
    RW=C. Perry, V. Nichushkin, J. Eberle
    D=A. Ekblad, M. Streit, K. Yandle, M. Vlasic
    G=J. Quick, J. Allen
    Bench=M. Beleskey, J. Drouin, T. Teravainen, R. Strome, D. Perron, C. Ceci, D. Orlov, D. Pouliot
    Minors=J. Blandisi, N. Ritchie, M.Subban, I. Provorov

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    Nothing wrong with seeing what trade options are out there, looks like a pretty good crop of draft eligible players so a couple extra picks would be nice. Is Kyle Connor available - would have him in top 5 or 6.
    Connor got snagged in last years draft at 28 by our expansion franchise - he took a lot of the newly drafted and highly criticized guys - Crouse, Connor, Kylington, Sprong. After JP I'm ranking Parayko, Tkachuck, Boeser, Vesey, Aho, Rackell, Dubouis, Blandisi, Griffith, Konecny, Nylander

I guess for the most part my question about risking it on Laine has been answered, most guys see him a tad more valuable than Ghost - I'm still having trouble going all in that direction, then again, one might get taken in the 2nd spot. If it was between Ghost and JP, who're you taking?
    DobberProspects Writer: Ex-Tampa Bay Lightning Prospects, Current New York Rangers Prospects @olaf1393

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by olafson1393 View Post
    If it was between Ghost and JP, who're you taking?
    At this point, give me Ghost. Possible 60pt D over 70pt forward.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

JP.

Ghost had a phenomenal season.

And rode a lot of really high percentages that are likely to regress.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Who are you expecting to go 1 and 2? Matthews and?

I would stay at 3 and take Laine. I would take Pulju over Ghost as well, although that ones closer.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    Who are you expecting to go 1 and 2? Matthews and?

I would stay at 3 and take Laine. I would take Pulju over Ghost as well, although that ones closer.
    I cant see anyone BUT Matthews going at 1, unless his draft stock somehow plummets at the world championships and he ends up being devalued as an NHL prospect... I don't see anything that drastic occurring though. At 2 I can see it being any of those three - unless an NHL team goes off the board with Dubouis or Chychrun which can sometimes influence guys in fantasy to think that way as well. I should have either Laine or Ghost available at 2, but have been leaning to the latter all year, now its sounding like that may be the wrong course to take