Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Couture, Marner & 1st for Giroux

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Couture, Marner & 1st for Giroux

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    This exactly, that's a very reasonable move to make for one of the top 10 players in the league. Balls to the wall going for it, nothing wrong with that. It of course could still make you wince every time you look at a Leafs boxscsore in 3-4 years.
    Top 10? Even in that format, not a chance. Paid for a name, not production, just like people keep doing with Tavares. Especially if your pick ends up being Matthews, Laine, or Puljarvi. I could seethe OP regretting this deal as soon as next season if its one of those 3.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think you will regret this one pretty fast honestly. The gap between G and Logan is very small going forward and to give up Marner and a top 4 yikes! Best of luck though and you are sorely missed in FNHL my man!
    16 Team Dynasty Weekly H2H Fantrax (starters in bold)

G A P +/- PIM SOG PPP H+B FOW --- W SV SV% GAA SO

(C) Krejci, Spezza, Koivo, Statsny Faksa
    (LW) Zetterberg, Duclair, Ehlers, M Domi Belesky, M Martin
    (RW) Pastrnak, Oshie, Larkin, Toffoli S Reinhart, Brouwer
    (D) J Honka, Seabrook, Goligoski, D DeKeyser, Vatanen, Parayko L Schenn, S Johns
    (G) Ward, Lack

Prospects- W Nylander, C Dvorak, I Barbashev, C White, T Rattie, M Dal Colle, A Mantha, R Barber, L Crouse, M Barzal, C Keller, L Brown, C Fischer, B Point, J Forsbacka-Karlsson

Dobber Sports Guru

Flags fly forever, so winning a title or two will make this a win, but yeesh...it feels like an overpay.
    The bigger question is whether or not you could've done better chasing another player besides Giroux.
    Did you toss this offer at other big names (Bennguin, Tarasenko, etc.) to see if you could get some bargaining power?
    I always think it's dangerous to chase ONE guy. I always try to find 2-3 of similar value and get a discussion going on all -- then you get to take the best deal, rather than being stuck trying to finish the only deal.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by STLblues View Post
    I think you will regret this one pretty fast honestly. The gap between G and Logan is very small going forward and to give up Marner and a top 4 yikes! Best of luck though and you are sorely missed in FNHL my man!
    Was a hard decision to leave....but I just couldn't manage the team they way I felt was necessary

You guys were a great bunch of GM's and I will miss the league for sure, I'm routing for you STL!
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Giant

Evans, I don't want to rub it in, but in all honesty, I think the price was a bit too steep, even for Giroux.

Couture is no G but he is still good for 70 and maybe a tad more optimally. Giroux will outpoint Couture in your format so that's a win for you. Then you add Marner. He's a prospect, but he is very likely to develop into a good scorer for the Leafs and I believe it will happen sooner than later. Still no problem here as you have the upper hand in this deal until now. My issue is the next piece that you are moving; the 1st rounder. From your bracket, you have a 62.5% chance of landing Matthews. That's 62.5% on paper statistically speaking which are GREAT odds. The problem is that your 5 out of 8 teams are legit contenders with 2-4 of them being the overall front runners to winning it all (Washington, St-Louis, maybe Tampa and Pittsburgh becomes very interesting if they find a way to knock the Caps out). That means that your odds of getting the 1st are greater than 62.5%...

I think the only way I would be able to stomach it if I were in that position is if that pick didn't end up being the 1st and fell on the 3rd or 4th pick; otherwise, I'd be kicking myself for years to come.

In the end, you made a bold trade that got you the current best player. This is the type of trade that I look for in most of my own moves (give up quantity, get quality). I just hope for you that the ''quality of the quantity'' that you gave up doesn't outweight the return quality that you received early on...

Just my 2 cents buddy
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    You guys were a great bunch of GM's and I will miss the league for sure, I'm routing for you STL!
    I assume you are speaking about the DobberSports member named STL and not the actual NHL team... That would be masochistic considering your playoff bracket
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay