Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Points Only: Matthews or Laine

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Points Only: Matthews or Laine

I have the 2nd overall pick in my keeper and was ready to draft Kyle Connor with it. But after reading several threads and gauging the opinion of the masses it seems that many people see Laine as an instant contributor next season. I know al lot depends on where he ends up. Connor seems like a solid bet to stick on the Jets. Laine isn't a lock to stick is he?

My main concern is if he ends up going to a team like Toronto who is likely to send Marner back to minors. So they're probably not going to rush Laine either.

Sorry to change gears and hijack this thread a bit, but my question is... Where would be best case destination and worst case destination for the two draftees?
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3
    JT Miller $5.2
    Garland $4.9
    Kakko $.9
    Laff $.9

Defense
    Josi $9
    Burns $8
    Letang $7.2
    Nurse $5.6
    Werenski $5
    Sergachev $4.8
    Fox $.9

Goalies
    Shesterkin $5.6
    Ullmark $5
    Hart $3.9
    Blackwood $2.8

Administrator

IMO Matthews is the easy pick here.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Baby View Post
    I have the 2nd overall pick in my keeper and was ready to draft Kyle Connor with it. But after reading several threads and gauging the opinion of the masses it seems that many people see Laine as an instant contributor next season. I know al lot depends on where he ends up. Connor seems like a solid bet to stick on the Jets. Laine isn't a lock to stick is he?

My main concern is if he ends up going to a team like Toronto who is likely to send Marner back to minors. So they're probably not going to rush Laine either.

Sorry to change gears and hijack this thread a bit, but my question is... Where would be best case destination and worst case destination for the two draftees?
    Connor will be a great player, and has a solid upside, but Laine has that superstar upside look to him at the moment. Connor is still the better bet to stick next year than anyone but Matthews, so if you're looking mainly at next year, he may be your guy.

As for teams on which Matthews and Laine would be the best fit, I hate to say it, but I think Matthews would be a great fit in MTL. Based on odds though, that's not likely to happen. Columbus would be a great landing spot for him roster wise, but Torts would run him out of town before he's old enough to drink. Bottom line for Matthews though is he will be successful anywhere.

Laine on the other hand would do best being able to slot in on a top 6 wing next year if he sticks. Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Buffalo might be the best fits. If he lands on Wpg then he would be stuck behind a lot of people. No one wants to go to Vancouver right now, though learning from the Sedin's for another few years wouldn't be a bad thing. Obviously Boston or Colorado would be good too, being the better teams, but again, not very likely.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I have a gut feeling that Vancouver wins the lottery and drafts Matthews.. You just may want to wait before you make your decision..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I agree with the several posts suggesting you take who you want. if you have the #1 Pick, take Matthews unless you feel Laine is a better own in your league. If so... market that 1st overall pick because I think Matthews goes 1st overall in 80% (or more) leagues. That stat alone has marketable value. And get the guy you really want in the process.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm a big Laine fan but I think Matthews should be the #1 pick.

And Laine should go before K.Connor no doubt.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    I agree with the several posts suggesting you take who you want. if you have the #1 Pick, take Matthews unless you feel Laine is a better own in your league. If so... market that 1st overall pick because I think Matthews goes 1st overall in 80% (or more) leagues. That stat alone has marketable value. And get the guy you really want in the process.
    Great advice to be sure, and I will likely look to make that trade were I to decide that Laine was the player I coveted. That said, this is more about making the latter decision that strategy once said decision is made
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Matthews for me. Laine is second, close-second, but still second.

Dobber Sports Wizard

In fantasy leagues, I'm taking Laine. He has a better shot at 17 than Ovechkin did.... His puck handling and size allow him to totally control the play when he has the puck. He's not an elite skater, but he's above average and more than good enough for how he plays.

He and Matthews are pretty much at the same level. Matthews is the safer choice, and is all but guaranteed to be a top 6 center for years. And of course the realistic chance at being a star #1 center. He's more in the Bergeron-Toews-Kopitar mold... Maybe not the best fantasy option.

Laine has that Ovechkin-Hull-Stamkos big shot ability. There's more risk involved, but there's also a chance he becomes a 50+ goal superstar.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    In fantasy leagues, I'm taking Laine. He has a better shot at 17 than Ovechkin did.... His puck handling and size allow him to totally control the play when he has the puck. He's not an elite skater, but he's above average and more than good enough for how he plays.

He and Matthews are pretty much at the same level. Matthews is the safer choice, and is all but guaranteed to be a top 6 center for years. And of course the realistic chance at being a star #1 center. He's more in the Bergeron-Toews-Kopitar mold... Maybe not the best fantasy option.

Laine has that Ovechkin-Hull-Stamkos big shot ability. There's more risk involved, but there's also a chance he becomes a 50+ goal superstar.
    I don't disagree with any of your evaluations except I would say that Matthews looks to have much higher offensive upside than Bergeron, Toews, or Kopitar. But I agree in the sense that the qualities that make him a franchise center aren't necessarily always big payoffs in fantasy.

That said, I still would take Matthews over Laine in nearly every single format. The hype for Laine has skyrocketed since the WJC. We see this every year.... the media plays it up for pre-draft clickbait and conversation points. I think Matthews is the clear #1 in this draft-- I even think there's a bigger gap between Matthews and Laine than most are alluding to. I think Laine-Pulj are a lot closer than Matthews-Laine.

However, to play devil's advocate against myself... If Edm picks second and Laine is destined to be McDavid's winger, well, that could be fun.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post

I would not argue because I'm a big Laine fan. But I think the question you need to ask here is: would you take Laine over Eichel? Because Matthews has the same potential than Eichel (at the same age).

I think you can't go wrong with Matthews. And the risk is on Laine side.
    7 teams
    28 keepers

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    I would not argue because I'm a big Laine fan. But I think the question you need to ask here is: would you take Laine over Eichel? Because Matthews has the same potential than Eichel (at the same age).

I'd take Eichel over Laine.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post

The part bolded above says it all. Risk vs. No Risk. I'm probably going to take the No Risk guy unless the Risk guy is miles above the No Risk. That isn't the case here, so I would take Matthews.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by maya has the knife View Post
    I'd take Eichel over Laine.
    Exactly, this is why I would take Matthews over Laine even if I'm a Laine fan.

Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey 26 avr
    McKenzie: What Jack Eichel did this year in the NHL is a reasonable expectation of what a guy like Auston Matthews is going to do in '16-17.
    7 teams
    28 keepers

Dobber Sports Stud

Give me Laine and his being 7 months younger than Matthews. Its very close and the lottery tomorrow night may impact that, but for the moment I see a slightly higher points only ceiling on Laine.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.