Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Corey Perry for Kyle Connor

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Corey Perry for Kyle Connor

I'm looking for some people to talk me off the edge here.. or maybe high-five me for my stubbornness.

I've got a GM in my league that has been drooling all over Connor for months. He sees what I see, a potential breakout candidate right off the hop of his NHL career. A real blue chip prospect.

The offer:

Corey Perry

for

Kyle Connor and 3rd round pick (#25-30) in a 12 man, keep 17 league

I've resisted for some time, even going as far as flat out rejecting before he comes back and dangles in front of me again. My issue with Perry is the declining PPG, age and him and Getzlaf having been apart for the better part of a half season.

I'm in a win-always mode, and 60/65 points from Perry is useful but not necessarily a ton better than the 50-60 point vet that could be had with any of my first three picks (All before pick #30).

Anyone think I'm right to want to hold on to Connor or is this just me completely over-thinking/valuing a young player over a proven 60-65 point veteran?
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Corey Perry for Kyle Connor

I'm high-fiving your stubbornness. Your team doesn't look like it needs Perry to compete, however having Connor right there coming up rounds out your lineup quite nicely.
    I'm not saying this will be Perry specifically, but power forwards tend to tail off a few years before other skaters might. So all in all, I would keep Connor, and I think you will be thanking yourself for the next ten years.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Initiate

+1 to stubbornness. Perry seems to be winding down into Eric Staal territory and is north of 30. Your team's average age is already hovering around that prime area of 28-30. It's best to keep a few young pieces around to maintain your momentum. Plus the Kyle Connor hype-train has hit another gear around these parts...perhaps there's a reason for it.
    14-team Keeper w/custom salary cap
    Keep btw 12-14, excl. Minors
    Skater cats (weight): G (1.75), A (1.75), +/- (0.75), Hits (0.75), BS (0.75)
    Goalie cats: W (0.25), GAA (1.00), SV% (1.00)

C : Colton Kuznetsov Frost WKarlsson ---MBourque Rossi MSavoie Fantilli Carlsson
    LW: Caufield Hagel Nichushkin EKane---Musty
    RW: Tippett Necas Brown Kakko---Yurov Lysell Stankoven ECowan
    D : Theodore Seider Addison Klingberg Gostisbehere Fehervary---Edvinsson
    G : Talbot Korpisalo ---Commesso Augustine
    Bench/IR: Chabot Hart Novak Andersen

2024 entry draft picks: 3 1sts, 1 2nd
    2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd
    Fantrax IHL Champion: 2018/19, 2015/16, 2011/12

Dobber Sports Expert

I don't see the benefit of adding Perry with the forwards you have in place.

I'd have trouble moving Connor right now. He's one of those guys that you pick up and hang onto just waiting for him to get his chance. And that's coming this next season, I wouldn't want to trade that away.

Dobber Sports Ace

Your recalcitrance should benefit you since eventually you will need to be adding some youth to your team in order to have a good mix of veterans and younger players. Connor is the player I would rather have in this instance, being a keeper league.

Dobber Sports Stud

I am loving all this support! I had spoken to a few other hockey minds and they were shouting at me to add Perry.. "Filipovich says 60 point players are great!.. yakitity yak.."

I told the guy he can give me Getzlaf straight up for Connor if he wants him badly enough. Otherwise, I'll either wait for the kid to marinate and burst out, or sell when his value gets even higher.

High-fives (rep) in return.
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Titan

It wouldn't surprise me if this guy does come back with Getz for Connor. At that point, I still say keep Connor. Same arguments made in the posts above for Connor over Perry. Getz may have a slightly slower decline, but he is still the same age and hasn't put up the same kind of production recently that people expect out of him.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    It wouldn't surprise me if this guy does come back with Getz for Connor. At that point, I still say keep Connor. Same arguments made in the posts above for Connor over Perry. Getz may have a slightly slower decline, but he is still the same age and hasn't put up the same kind of production recently that people expect out of him.
    Its true, I definitely have more faith in the centre Getzlaf maintaining (and improving on recent totals). But you raise a great point. I should probably just sit on the kid and draft a vet who can produce adequate numbers for me in a depth role.. ie. Justin Williams, Palmieri, Koivu, Plekanec..

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Titan

It is really tough to be declining the proven player, but you're probably sacrificing 10-15 points for one year (that you don't exceptionally need) to be gaining it back ever year after.

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm different from everyone here, sure Connor looks good but he also has never played an NHL game, Perry has and still produces (proven vs unproven). I do not see him declining like E.Staal/Heatley, guy still gets #1PP time, rarely gets hurt, and is paid too much to not get ~20 mins per game.

I understand your reasoning though and looking at your team you can easily wait on Connor, but if you need Perry to win next year I would do that trade (minus the pick since he wants Connor so bad)
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Genius

Corey Perry has finished in the top 10 in GOALS for the last 3 seasons. Just sayin'.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Corey Perry has finished in the top 10 in GOALS for the last 3 seasons. Just sayin'.
    Its true, he can still bury the biscuit. I just see the decline point-per-game averages and a guy who is pushing 31. Four of the last five seasons he's been a 60-65 point player. Useful, no doubt.. but my struggle is the ceiling on Connor. At the very least, I can probably wait a year and sell him for a much younger and better piece.

Not to say Perry couldn't go off for 70+ next year, its just probably more likely he hangs around the 62 mark where he finished this season.

Even with Anaheim having such a deadly PP this year, his overall numbers stayed down. His 5v5 scoring has taken a real hit this past year. Lots of red flags

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Stud

Another vote for the Perry camp, I don't get this whole decline talk right now. He (and the whole Ducks team) has a very slow start and he basically didn't get any points the first 10 games if I recall. I don't know a lot about this Connor kid, but I'd go for the proven guy who can still put up the same amount of points for at least the next 3 years.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Perry and not even close

Dobber Sports Ace

If this was last year and the names were Rick Nash for Dylan Larkin, most would be saying, duh...Nash all the way. In keeper leagues it about knowing when to hold and when to fold (sell high) and also take chances on young players. I, for one, am all over Kyle Connor. I think this guy will have a Larkin/Eichel type season right out the hop.
    6 Team no limit Keeper. Cap league $100m
    Points only G/A=1, Hattrick = +3, Wins = 2, SO = +3, OTL/SOL = +1
    12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies, 6 Reserve (any position)

Forwards
    Crosby $8.7
    Stone $9.5
    Svechnikov $7.7
    Debrincat $6.4
    Hall $6
    Meier $6
    Guentzel $6
    Ehlers $6
    Hertl $5.6
    Konecny $5.5
    Palat $5.3