Thread: Justin Smoak's strange 2016 numbers

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Justin Smoak's strange 2016 numbers

Piece by Sportsnet today that covers Justin Smoak's very unusual numbers to date this season. Not sure I have ever seen anything like it, in any of the major sports I watch. Really goes to show you that if you only look at a few numbers, you can get a very warped picture of someone's performance. Here's an excerpt:

"In 13 games heading into Wednesday night’s action, the Toronto Blue Jays first baseman is batting .143 with an on-base percentage of .455; he’s 2-for-14 with 12 strikeouts, leaving him with a BABIP of 1.000; his walk rate is 31.8 per cent with seven bases on balls in 22 plate appearances; and for good measure, he’s even got a stolen base, his first since 2012.You can look at his stat-line and argue that he’s off to a rough start, or that he’s made steady contributions, and be right either way."

And here is the full link: http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/justin-smoak-off-unusual-start-blue-jays/
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Justin Smoak's strange 2016 numbers

His timing is off. Once he gets that he’ll be taking less borderline calls (balls that = walks) and up his average. The worse thing for him and Colli is they platoon, so they aren’t getting enough bats to figure out their timing.

And once one of them gets a good game, the other one comes in to throw off the timing again.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    His timing is off. Once he gets that he’ll be taking less borderline calls (balls that = walks) and up his average. The worse thing for him and Colli is they platoon, so they aren’t getting enough bats to figure out their timing.

And once one of them gets a good game, the other one comes in to throw off the timing again.
    I completely agree it will level off once he gets his timing going, however I don't know if that will be soon at all. With Collabello there, he gets ~50% of the starts. And then earlier this season, with Donaldson DH-ing, EE was on first base.

I just really appreciated the crazy splits he has going so far.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Neither Smoak or Collabello have looked good this year. Both are swinging the bat like crap.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

For fun, here's a table/list that shows that shows "Results from Plate Appearances" for Justin Smoak:

Strikeout - 54.5%
    Walk - 31.8%
    Actually putting the ball in play - 9.1%

So there you have it. And he hat a hit in one appearance since the article, so he's now batting a scorching .200
    10-Team, Custom Keeper. In this league GMs sign their own contracts at an auction for a specified price and term up to 4 years.

G(3) A(2.5) +/- (0.5) SOG(0.1) FOW/FOL (0.05) HTS(0.1) BKS (0.1)

2C - McDavid, Pettersson, Barkov, Kopitar,
    2RW - Lindholm, Perron, Reinhart, Killorn
    2LW - Draisaitl, Svechnikov, Schenn
    3FWD From above FWDs
    6D - Karlsson, Dahlin, Gustafsson, Theodore, Edler
    2G - Varlamov, Greisss, Murray, Mrazek

IR - Hamilton

6FARM - Kakko, Mittelstadt, Francouz, Borgstrom