Thread: Seth Jones or Rasmus Ristolainen

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Seth Jones or Rasmus Ristolainen

League in sig, who is the better own going forward? Risto really slowed down as the season wore on, while Jones saw a decent uptick in scoring after the trade. Jones strikes me as the more dynamic of the two, while Risto is a little more steady eddy. Being a salary league, if Risto gets paid like a #1 d-man but only gives me 45 points or so per year that could hurt.

I originally though having hits and blocks would help Risto, but after the trade Jones paced for 106 hits and 152 blocks (thanks Torts!). Leaning towards keeping Jones, but there's still the element of unknown with him, while Risto has already broken 40 points.

Looking to include one of these guys in a deal for the 1st overall pick. I might add my team is in salary hell next season, which is a big reason I'm looking into a deal like this.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Seth Jones or Rasmus Ristolainen

For a deal for the first pick, he is probably going to want the sexier name guy in Jones. I suppose I would offer Risto then maybe "concede" Jones to get the deal done. I would not feel bad about trading either of them for the top pick.

However, you are moving one of your 3 legit studs at the D position for another forward, which is your strongest and deepest position. I would not be comfortable with my goaltending situation if that was my team, and would be addressing that need before trading for the top pick.

Dobber Sports Titan

I agree that you offer up the name that has more value to the owner you are dealing with. The top pick is a great thing to have, however, your D and goaltending should be the bigger priority than forwards. If you do get the pick and have Matthews/Laine coming in, then it opens up the options to deal Giroux/Kane.
    Risto and Jones have very similar cats, teams, and outlooks, so flip a coin there, as long as you can put the deal through.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Thanks guys.... Right now the offer is Voracek, Risto/Jones, picks and prospects for the #1 pick. Like I said, salary is an issue and this deal alone could pretty much solve the salary issue with Voracek going up to 10 mil next season.

I also won the league by 6,000 points this season, that's.... Huge. Normally the standings are close but I was able to wrap it up by early November or so. I was originally planning to rebuild but after seeing just how much I won by, I should be able to move a few pieces and still be in contention. What I'm saying here is I'm willing to overpay to get what I want if I need to, and I should be able to weather that overpayment.

Colton Parayko could also be an option, but I don't think he quite has the value needed.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Expert

I might be in the minority but i see Risto quite a step above Jones. Maybe i got a mancrush but the RR looks like the real deal to me. Buffalo is on the rise with possibly a high octance offense going through Eichel sooner than later. And i still love Jones..
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Deity

I think Seth Jones has the same problem in Columbus that he had in Nashville. Others are still being used in front of him for offensive opportunities. I don't think the competition is as stiff as it was in Nashville, but for some reason, Torts likes to use Ryan Murray and Jack Johnson in front of Jones. At least that's the short term issue for Jones.

Ristolainen pretty much has Zach Bogosian to worry about and he's hurt too much to stand in Risto's way.

As far as overall talent goes, I think Jones is a small step ahead of Ristolainen, but considering the way both are used, I would go with Ristolainen here. The difference in the talent isn't great enough to offset the difference in opportunity for me.

Risto would be my choice.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

I've always been pretty high on both players but Jones especially. Still believe the Blue Jackets D is his command as early as next season.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by keytolife View Post
    I might be in the minority but i see Risto quite a step above Jones. Maybe i got a mancrush but the RR looks like the real deal to me. Buffalo is on the rise with possibly a high octance offense going through Eichel sooner than later. And i still love Jones..
    I agree with this.

Dobber Sports Wizard

So I got the deal, ended up being for 2nd overall as the GM with 1st wouldn't go for it. Deal ended up being Jones instead of Risto.

Thanks for the help guys, in two months I will have either Matthews or Laine and can probably afford to cycle out another high priced forward. Hopefully Risto can build off this season and push for 50+ going forward.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I like Risto as the better fantasy D between the two. Axeman pretty much nailed the reasons why IMO.

Dobber Sports Stud

I love em both, and I own em both, and i'd take risto over jones.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I think Risto has more fantasy upside. Darn close though.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I like Ristolainen more... better emerging situation in Buffalo.
    It's going to be a PLUS team quicker than we think and if Risto can hold the point on PP1, it could be a very dynamic PP with 30 PPP available for the key weapons: ROR, Eichel... maybe even a full-season PP1 D-man (Risto?).
    I like Seth Jones a lot, but CBJ just doesn't have the firepower to score a ton.
    They were lucky that NickFo and Ry-Jo had that big PP year two seasons ago... but that was a one-time sort of thing... just a magical year that won't come back for CBJ any time soon.

Risto, for me.

Administrator

I'm in the Ristolainen camp as well.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust