Thread: Keeping 3 goalies in a keep 10?

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Keeping 3 goalies in a keep 10?

Considering Elliot's level of play this year and so far in the post season, would anybody here recommend keeping all three of my goalies for next season? If I dropped Elliot I would need to pick up another goalie at some point in the draft as you need at least 3 goalies to be competitive, preferably 3 starters if you are lucky enough to acquire 3 as we have 2 goalie starts per night.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Keeping 3 goalies in a keep 10?

Tough call. Biggest thing is that it depends on how easily you think you can replace Elliott at the draft. It's tough to want to keep him knowing that he could lose 45 starts to Allen even if he doesn't get injured, which is a big if to begin with.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Monster

I get the reasoning.
    He's also hot right now.

You have to take into consideration some injury history and the fact the Blues will still ride Allen quite a bit.
    These two situations aren't favorable over the long haul of a season. I'd advise taking a gamble here, keep 2 goalies and find your 3rd one in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    Considering Elliot's level of play this year and so far in the post season, would anybody here recommend keeping all three of my goalies for next season? If I dropped Elliot I would need to pick up another goalie at some point in the draft as you need at least 3 goalies to be competitive, preferably 3 starters if you are lucky enough to acquire 3 as we have 2 goalie starts per night.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I would not keep Elliott over Wheeler.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I couldn't imagine keeping Elliot over Wheeler

Dobber Sports All-Star

Thanks for the replies. Some good advice there. I think Elliot's injury history, and his shared starts with Allen, will be the deciding factor. Otherwise, having 3 solid starters would be an incredible advantage in this league.
    As for Wheeler, yes he is my tenth keeper at this point, but by less than most would think. With this leagues scoring and face/off categories Wheeler came in 46th place in overall points (even with his career year). Both Couture and Trocheck had marginally better ppg averages due to their face/off wins, but fell behind in overall points due to their injuries.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

Thanks for the replies. Some good advice there. I think Elliot's injury history, and his shared starts with Allen, will be the deciding factor. Otherwise, having 3 solid starters would be an incredible advantage in this league.
    As for Wheeler, yes he is my tenth keeper at this point, but by less than most would think. With this leagues scoring and face/off categories Wheeler came in 46th place in overall points (even with his career year). Both Couture and Trocheck had marginally better ppg averages due to their face/off wins, but fell behind in overall points due to their injuries.
    Every center gets this. You can't discredit wingers vs. centers because they don't take faceoffs, you basically have to take that stat out of scoring. Wheeler relative to most other RW is very valuable. Couture and Trochek relative to every other center, are not.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Every center gets this. You can't discredit wingers vs. centers because they don't take faceoffs, you basically have to take that stat out of scoring. Wheeler relative to most other RW is very valuable. Couture and Trochek relative to every other center, are not.
    It actually is quite relevant. Trochek is LW/RW/C eligible and Couture is LW/C eligible. Thus in a league with face off wins their value goes up just as if they scored more goals and assists. A shrewd owner must overlook who is considered the "better overall player" and adjust his team according to the league settings.
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP

It actually is quite relevant. Trochek is LW/RW/C eligible and Couture is LW/C eligible. Thus in a league with face off wins their value goes up just as if they scored more goals and assists. A shrewd owner must overlook who is considered the "better overall player" and adjust his team according to the league settings.
    Are you guaranteed they will have those position eligibilities next season?