Thread: Goalie Trade Question - Need Help

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Goalie Trade Question - Need Help

Hey guys,

So my league details are in my signature below along with my roster.

We are expanding our league after the 2016-17 NHL season to two more teams. With that being said we are voting on dropping our goalie roster spots from 3 to 2.

As of now I have Quick, Rask, and Talbot. If we end up going to 2 goalies Talbot is the obvious man out. However wanted some thoughts on Rask?

I was considering offering a trade of Rask for Mrazek + a young top 6 player or defensemen (not sure who yet). Do you think Rask's best years are behind him, especially playing behind the current Bruins team? Is Mrazek an upgrade? Being a red wings fan watching pretty much every game the kid was lights out last years playoffs vs Tampa Bay and majority of this season until he fell off in March. With his poor play I may have a better chance at getting him for cheaper.

So basically should I keep Rask or try to move him for Mrazek + extras? Thoughts?
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague
    16 team H2H Full Keeper w/ 20man prospects
    G,GWG,OG,ShG,A,PPP,SHP,HT,FOW,Hits,BLK,PIM,+/-,SOG | W,SHO,SV,OL,GA,ShL (2.5x for defensive points)
    SBFHL Champion: 2013-14, 2017-18

Main Roster
    F:Tavares/Malkin/Benn/Pavelski/Tarasenko
    /Granlund/Parise/Dubois/DeBrincat/Ritchie/Chiasson/Marleau/
    D:Hedman/Subban/Doughty/Rielly/Oleksiak/C. Miller
    G:Rask/Quick

Prospect Roster
    F​: Frederic/Foo/Heponiemi/Mantha/Ho-Sang/Groulx/Safin/Hawryluk/Goldobin/Roslovic/Korshkov/Cj. Smith/Bokk/McBain/Greer/Marody
    D: Jokiharju/Perunovich/M. Phiillips/Weegar
    G: Gillies/Brossoit/Wedgewood/Eriksson EK

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Goalie Trade Question - Need Help

Rask is still a top goalie. Mrazek can become a top goalie as he has shown with his great performances for most of the year. However, I would hold back unless that player coming back has more to him than just potential.

What kind of player are we talking about excactly?
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Expert

I would shop Talbot. See if you can snag a good deal for a guy who only has one legit/starting goaltender

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Rask is still a top goalie. Mrazek can become a top goalie as he has shown with his great performances for most of the year. However, I would hold back unless that player coming back has more to him than just potential.

What kind of player are we talking about excactly?
    Well the players on his roster along with Mrazek that I'd be interested in are Filip Forsberg, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Max Domi, Sam Bennett, Travis Harmonic, and a few other guys who are considerably far out from seeing NHL time.

Now if its not worth it, I would just not even propose the deal. I have one of the stronger more competitive teams in the league so I am not looking to take a step backward, but more so to future proof my team, and transgress some of the pieces who my suddenly start to decline sooner than later... if that makes sense.
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague
    G,GWG,OG,ShG,A,PPP,SHP,HT,FOW,Hits,BLK,PIM,+/-,SOG | W,SHO,SV,OL,GA,ShL (2.5x for defensive points)

Main Roster

Prospect Roster
    F​: Frederic/Foo/Heponiemi/Mantha/Ho-Sang/Groulx/Safin/Hawryluk/Goldobin/Roslovic/Korshkov/Cj. Smith/Bokk/McBain/Greer/Marody

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    I would shop Talbot. See if you can snag a good deal for a guy who only has one legit/starting goaltender
    I can shop Talbot for sure, however we still have a full season to run with three goalies, so the only option there really would be to trade him and receive a lesser valued goalie back + a roster player. And run with two goalies (Rask & Quick) and a sub-par extra.
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague

Main Roster

Prospect Roster

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey13Playa View Post
    Well the players on his roster along with Mrazek that I'd be interested in are Filip Forsberg, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Max Domi, Sam Bennett
    If you can get 1x or 2y along with Mrazek, I would make the deal:

X (one of these): Forsberg, Kuznetsov
    Y (2 of these*): Domi, Bennett

*Note, if he only wants to deal one of these guys, I may be inclined to say yes, but would deffinitely try to get both nonetheless...
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    If you can get 1x or 2y along with Mrazek, I would make the deal:

X (one of these): Forsberg, Kuznetsov
    Y (2 of these*): Domi, Bennett

*Note, if he only wants to deal one of these guys, I may be inclined to say yes, but would deffinitely try to get both nonetheless...
    I agree with this, except for the note. Wouldn't do it for just one of Domi/Bennett + Mrazek
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey13Playa View Post
    I can shop Talbot for sure, however we still have a full season to run with three goalies, so the only option there really would be to trade him and receive a lesser valued goalie back + a roster player. And run with two goalies (Rask & Quick) and a sub-par extra.
    If you have another full season with these guys I would stand pat. Rasks value is not where it should be so trading him would be a mistake.

And with talbot, I see Edmonton obtaining a few defenceman in the off season and Talbot's value being higher next year.

Any idea of what the sub par goalies available would be?
    Head to head. Keeper league. PTS ONLY. 12 team

8F: Stamkos, Giroux, Kopitar, P. Kane, Eberle, Kucherov, Tarasenko, Sharp
    Bench: Gaborik, Spezza, Boedker, Little, Maroon

4D: Letang, Shattenkirk, Hedman, Doughty

Bench: Sekera, Schultz

2G: Rask, F. Andersen

Bench: Miller, Raanta

The Great One

I think with this deal the other GMs team seems young - would they even have interest in Rask?

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I agree with this, except for the note. Wouldn't do it for just one of Domi/Bennett + Mrazek
    Ya, I agree. The value on paper is not up to par with what Rask can bring in, but as of next year, Domi and Bennett may fall in the same category that Forsberg and Kuznetsov are currently in. It's a calculated risk that I may take if that situation was presented to me, but I doubt many would go for it (as you pointed out).

Minors:

Thanks for the replies guys. The other GM has a very young team for the most part. It's a full blown rebuild. I thought I could maybe entice him with a prime goalie like Rask and secure a younger elite goalie for myself for more of the long term while adding another significant skater to the mix. I know sometimes GM's want to speed along the rebuild :P

However it kind of looks like the consensus of this thread is to keep Rask. To answer the sub-par question above the goalies that would fall in that category would a back up, or someone who splits a time share who's not the undisputed starter as well as maybe a few fringe starters that do not put up good numbers.
    SBFHL | Halifax Plague

Main Roster

Prospect Roster