Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Playoffs 2016 Pool

Administrator

Default Playoffs 2016 Pool

The Dobbernomics 2016 Playoff Pool is now accepting registrations. If you wish to register a team, please visit www.dobbernomics.com

Any and all feedback is much appreciated!
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Playoffs 2016 Pool

1) It really needs a way to browse the current market value of players without having to drop a player first.

2) For the rosters, if a transaction takes place that won't take effect until the following game week, the roster should still reflect the current state until the transaction takes effect.

But, the roster still needs to show the new players that were just purchased as well, since they are the ones a team currently "owns".

For example, last night I traded out Jagr, Roussel, Demers, and Howard for Panarin, Kilhorn, Johns, and Holtby.

So, Holtby & Co. took the place of Howard & Co. on my roster, even though by my understanding last night, tonight (and tomorrow, maybe?) Howard & Co. will still be earning points on my team.

I think the sold players should still exist on the roster, in a non-sellable but active state, and the bought players should appear in a sellable but non-active state until the game week changes over.

A lot of work there, I know.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Superstar

Also, even though last night Barkov's stat line was three hits, 1 blk, and 6 SOG, I got zero pts from him. What's up with that?

RETIRED

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    Also, even though last night Barkov's stat line was three hits, 1 blk, and 6 SOG, I got zero pts from him. What's up with that?
    That's because those were negated by his -2 +/- rating... Incidentally, this isn't currently being shown on the roster statistics pane, but will be shortly.

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Administrator

1) It really needs a way to browse the current market value of players without having to drop a player first.
    We're working on it right now actually. Stay tuned...

2) For the rosters, if a transaction takes place that won't take effect until the following game week, the roster should still reflect the current state until the transaction takes effect.
    We'll try to assess an appropriate way to address this.

But, the roster still needs to show the new players that were just purchased as well, since they are the ones a team currently "owns".

For example, last night I traded out Jagr, Roussel, Demers, and Howard for Panarin, Kilhorn, Johns, and Holtby.

So, Holtby & Co. took the place of Howard & Co. on my roster, even though by my understanding last night, tonight (and tomorrow, maybe?) Howard & Co. will still be earning points on my team.

I think the sold players should still exist on the roster, in a non-sellable but active state, and the bought players should appear in a sellable but non-active state until the game week changes over.

A lot of work there, I know.
    Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated!

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbernomics View Post
    That's because those were negated by his -2 +/- rating... Incidentally, this isn't currently being shown on the roster statistics pane, but will be shortly.
    Which begs the question, isn't 10 pts a bit excessive for +/-, considering goals are 2.5? Who thinks +/- is the most important stat in hockey?

EDIT: Nevermind. I see that this was apparently a typo which has since been corrected.

RETIRED

Administrator

EDIT: Nevermind. I see that this was apparently a typo which has since been corrected.
    Correct - it was a typo in the FAQ..

Dobber Sports Superstar

I've noticed that my stats did not update overnight, which wouldn't be such a big deal except that I'm falling back in the standings, which would indicate that at least some of my competitor's stats did update overnight.

RETIRED

Administrator

I've noticed that my stats did not update overnight, which wouldn't be such a big deal except that I'm falling back in the standings, which would indicate that at least some of my competitor's stats did update overnight.

[Edit] Found the issue. The stats will corrected early this evening

Dobber Sports Star

I really love the concept of this dobbernomics thing, but the interface is really preventing me from getting into it.

First and foremost, all the junk on the right side of the page should be replaced by something useful, like maybe a list of players so you can add/drop without having to constantly go from one page to another. It's just too much work to make moves, and making moves is the whole point. Why do I have to drop a player before I can see a list of potential players to replace him? Very strange.

There are a number of little glitches and weird design things that I assume are still being worked out, so I won't mention those

This is something I could get extremely addicted to, but it's not quite there yet if you ask me.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    First and foremost, all the junk on the right side of the page should be replaced by something useful, like maybe a list of players so you can add/drop without having to constantly go from one page to another.
    We'll think about optimizing that side of the page for better usability.

Why do I have to drop a player before I can see a list of potential players to replace him?
    I'm in the finishing stages of getting this ready for public release. Look for this functionality to be released very very shortly.

There are a number of little glitches and weird design things that I assume are still being worked out, so I won't mention those
    Actually, please do mention these! (even if they seem weird or minor). It would be much appreciated.

Dobber Sports Star

Cool, thanks for replying!

As for the little nitpicky design things, here are a couple:

- The hover states make the page jump. When you hover over the menu (Home | Playoff Rankings | How it works | Support), the text expands which makes everything jump and shift. I think the color change would be sufficient. This also makes the black boxes of the text extend beyond the black menu bar, which is a little unsightly. The league rank expansion is also a bit weird, and the font seems to change. Again, I think just a color change on hover would be better here.

- Maybe this is chrome specific, but the player data (under the Summary/Statistics tabs) requires a tiny bit of side scroll to see the Fpts/$ column. This could easily be tightened up to eliminate the need to scroll such a minuscule amount.

- The text in the little boxes (basically the whole top section) has less padding above the text than it does below it, so it's kind of riding high in the box.

- I understand the need to plug the twitter feed and the mailing list and all that stuff, but I wonder if there isn't a better place for it. It's taking up 1/3 of the main page, which is pretty critical real estate. I'd love to see a list of some kind at the top here. Either the master list of players to select from, or maybe even just hot/cold players or something like that. I think you could look into some stock sites to see what they do here. Maybe links to news snippets or player profiles? You could have a list of the top 20 players in terms of daily trading activity, then link to their frozen pool pages, as one example. The twitter/mailing list BS can go below the fold.

- There are some minor alignment issues, with the footer getting the worst the deal. It looks like the main black chunk in the footer needs to be a bit wider to line up with everything else.

These are pretty minor and very nitpicky, but you're right - probably worth mentioning to help you guys out. If I was building a site these are the types of oversights I would like to get out of the way asap. The biggest thing for me is really to try to get a better way of adding/dropping players. If you could do it all on one page (a la Draft Kings) that would be ideal, but even a 2 step process might work (like Yahoo) - where you could access a sort-able list of all players without having to first drop somebody.

Hope some of that helps!

Administrator

A lot of this is already on my todo list, but thanks for the mention. Rest assured I'll be looking into all these suggestions & concerns.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I should also report that as I was browsing players the other night in Safari on my iPad, the page kept crashing and reloading. This occurred at least three different times.

I haven't seen this anywhere else, but at least 95% of the time I'm messing with the site it's on my iPad.

There is also the weird quirk that the roster grid seems to be set at a fixed width, but which is not quite wide enough. So it always requires a horizontal scrollbar to view the last column of the grid even though there's a ton of unused horizontal space available. I believe it's because of the space allocated to the vertical scroll isn't being accounted for.

RETIRED

Administrator

Thanks - I'll look into this.