Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy-impacting lessons learned from 2015-16 Regular Season

The Great One

Default Fantasy-impacting lessons learned from 2015-16 Regular Season

On Wednesday, in place of my normal Cage Match column (and as a bookend to my 10 Fearless Forecasts column that was posted just before the start of the regular season - note, the key word was "fearless"......) I'm going to assemble a list of the 10 fantasy-impacting lessons learned from the 2015-16 regular season. Once the column goes live I'll put a link to it here [EDIT - it's live now: http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-h...from-2015-16/]

But I figured that as we wait for the playoffs to begin, what better time to ask forum readers to offer some of their own lessons? Although mine will all be general lessons, rather than about specific players, you should go ahead and post any lessons that you think others could benefit from hearing. But do try and make sure they're lessons that emerged from (or were underscored by) the 2015-16 regular season, rather than things like pointing out how a band-aid boy got hurt yet again.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Fantasy-impacting lessons learned from 2015-16 Regular Season

1. Elite players are elite players and patience is a must (see Crosby S. and Letang K.)

2. Don't go crazy over october's results. (see Pitsburgh and Montreal for example.)

Dobber Sports Deity

Players can still produce after 30 years of age and are not totally worthless in trades (unless you are the one trying to acquire them).

This isn't just a lesson from this past season, this is one from most seasons.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Don't be afraid to reach for the guys you are really high on. Klingberg this year and Forsberg last year. Made a huge difference in the leagues that I didn't wait too long to draft
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by BillyD. View Post
    1. Elite players are elite players and patience is a must (see Crosby S. and Letang K.)

2. Don't go crazy over october's results. (see Pitsburgh and Montreal for example.)
    These are excellent - at least as good as mine. Rep coming.
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Will you admit that Pavelski > Getzlaf?
    Or is Pavelski just still getting lucky?

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Don't be afraid to reach for the guys you are really high on. Klingberg this year and Forsberg last year. Made a huge difference in the leagues that I didn't wait too long to draft
    Actually, one of my lessons is essentially the opposite of this. Taking risk/reward gambles is fine, but if you get carried away you'll miss out on the best player available and have more misses than hits. Look for #3 on my list when it's posted and let me know if you think if I backed up this contention.

The Great One

Loading up on a team's top line can just as easily burn you as win it all for you - Johnson and Palat being a nice example

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Will you admit that Pavelski > Getzlaf?
    Or is Pavelski just still getting lucky?
    If you do a search for my posts over the past three months you'd notice that on at least 2-3 separate occasions I've copped to being proven wrong about Pavelski and OEL. But of course you probably didn't bother to notice that, just like you seem to inconveniently forget to remind me when - more often than not - I'm correct in my assessments.

But thanks so much for your thought-provoking contribution to the thread.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Loading up on a team's top line can just as easily burn you as win it all for you - Johnson and Palat being a nice example
    Bingo - this is actually along the lines of one of my lessons. Check out #1 on the list when it's published, and see the data I dug up. It was pretty eye opening, to me at least. Rep coming.

Dobber Sports Initiate

My successes and failures every season relate to how well I correctly parse October-November stats between hot/cold starts (with a market correction to come) or true sustainable production.

I was able to win this year by timing my early trades well. Other years, I waited too long to act.

Places like this help immensely in tuning out the noise and seeing your team for what it is (or isn't).
    14-team Keeper w/custom salary cap
    Keep btw 12-14, excl. Minors
    Skater cats (weight): G (1.75), A (1.75), +/- (0.75), Hits (0.75), BS (0.75)
    Goalie cats: W (0.25), GAA (1.00), SV% (1.00)

C : Colton Jenner Frost Novak ---Rossi Cooley MSavoie Fantilli Carlsson Yager
    LW: Caufield Fiala Hagel Nichushkin ---Musty
    RW: Tippett Necas Brink Kakko ---Yurov Lysell Stankoven ECowan Lekkerimaki
    D : Theodore Seider Chabot Gostisbehere Liljegren Carlo ---Edvinsson
    G : Montembault Hart ---Commesso Augustine
    Bench/IR: Zellweger Fehervary

2024 entry draft picks: 3 1sts
    2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 1 3rd
    Fantrax IHL Champion: 2018/19, 2015/16, 2011/12

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    Actually, one of my lessons is essentially the opposite of this. Taking risk/reward gambles is fine, but if you get carried away you'll miss out on the best player available and have more misses than hits. Look for #3 on my list when it's posted and let me know if you think if I backed up this contention.
    Oh I completely agree that you don't want to be jumping up too high and missing out on the top players. I'm just thinking of for example with Klingberg in 12 team drafts last year, he was being selected on average in the 13th-14th rounds, and I managed to nab him in the 11th in just about all of my one year leagues, and was heavily rewarded for it. On the other end of the spectrum, grabbing Strome in the next few rounds after in most leagues, turned out to be a big mistake.

I guess I could have phrased my lesson better, in that being flexible from your draft list is good, as is understanding who you are drafting with to be able to reach at the right times for players that you really want.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking forward to taking a gander at the list either way though!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Oh I completely agree that you don't want to be jumping up too high and missing out on the top players. I'm just thinking of for example with Klingberg in 12 team drafts last year, he was being selected on average in the 13th-14th rounds, and I managed to nab him in the 11th in just about all of my one year leagues, and was heavily rewarded for it. On the other end of the spectrum, grabbing Strome in the next few rounds after in most leagues, turned out to be a big mistake.

I guess I could have phrased my lesson better, in that being flexible from your draft list is good, as is understanding who you are drafting with to be able to reach at the right times for players that you really want.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking forward to taking a gander at the list either way though!
    I see - that definitely makes sense now that you explained it. It sounds like we agree that reaching early is bad, but when it gets late it makes sense to think a bit more outside the box.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    I see - that definitely makes sense now that you explained it. It sounds like we agree that reaching early is bad, but when it gets late it makes sense to think a bit more outside the box.
    Generally yes, that was what I was trying to get at.

Dobber Sports Stud

Great idea! Was gonna post a "lessons learned" thread myself but I guess I'll just piggy back off yours.

For me, patience is so important and my patience was pushed to my very limits this season. Between Crosby sucking at the start of the year, Johansen getting benched by Torts, Kucherov/Thornton and others all off to slow starts, the whole goaltending situation in Anaheim and many more, I learned that patience does eventually pay off.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot