Thread: Newbie needs some help

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Newbie needs some help

Hey guys, just took over a dynasty team with 40-man rosters (minor leaguers occupying a roster spot). We play 12-team, H2H categories (AB, H, R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS; IP, K, ERA, WHIP, QS, W, Sv). Roster as follows:

C - Wieters (BAL)
    1B - Duda (NYM), Myers (CF, LAD), Cron (LAA)
    2B - Spangenberg (SD), Travis (IR, TOR)
    3B - Wright (NYM), Moustakas (KC), Duffy (SF)
    SS - Story (COL), Bogaerts (BOS), Marte (SEA)
    LF - Upton (DET), Tucker (HOU)
    CF - Pederson (LAD), Coghlan (LF/RF, OAK)
    RF - Harper (WAS), Mazara (TEX)
    P - Bumgarner (SF), Perez (TEX), Ross (WAS), Salazar (CLE), Nola (PHI), Gerrit (PIT), Cashner (SD), Bauer (CLE), Siegrist (STL), McCullers (HOU, IR), Norris (DET, IR)

Minors: Pentecost (C, TOR), Walker (1B, COL), Moncada (2B, BOS), Robertson (SS, TB), Swanson (SS, ATL), Torres (SS, CHC), Margot (CF, SD), Phillips (CF, MIL), Pompey (CF, TOR), Judge (RF, NYY); Adams (P, CHW), Hoffman (P, COL), Mells (P, CIN), Snell (P, TB)

I know its a lot of names to take in. But first analysis of the roster is that I am very weak on the mound, especially without having a closer (every closer is taken). I do have about 3 pitchers I would like to add but not sure who to drop to pick them up. Any other roster insights would be a great help

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Newbie needs some help

You seem to be in a good spot with the batters. Two great young SS. So maybe you can use one of them to fill your hole at RP. That would be your biggest concern. SPs look decent as well, I wouldn't be too worried about that. Trevor Bauer is tough to know what to do with. Just seems like he can't take that next step.
    As for who to drop, Maraza seems expendable with Coghlan having the multi-position ability. Not sure how many SP slots you have, and if it makes sense to carry that many extra SPs or not, but that, and 3B would be the next places I would look to try and cut down, whether in a deal or on the WW.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Closer is an issue for sure, but your starting pitching is pretty decent. A rotation of Bumgarner, Cole, Salazar, Ross, Nola/McCullers is nothing to sneeze at especially in a dynasty.

Wieters is a find catcher, because catcher is least valuable position overall unless you have Posey

Duda and Myers are a nice tandem at first with some upside in Myers for a 20/20 guy if his spring training talk is to be believed

Spangenberg is a stop gap at 2nd, but I think Travis is legit when he comes back

Moustakas and Duffy again nice tandem with David Wright a possible trade option

Story Bogaerts and marte are an excellent crop of SS with Bogaerts being the 1 but Storey looking like a 1A and Marte a cheap source of steals

Upton is fine in the OF but he is the one I would be looking to move because with Pederson and harper and Now Mazara I think you can fill your OF slots and benefit from moving Upton for a large Haul.

Minor system is strong as well, especially like Snell Margot Swanson and Moncada as some good options for future.

I would look to trade Wright - Upton and maybe even Storey since you have Xander and could demand a HUGE return based on his start to get a CP x2 - and an Outfilder or two with the ability to fill multiple stat categories like a Kevin Pillar for example on the low end.

Just a quick look but that's my first impression
    12 Team Roto Keeper
    G A +/- SOG PPP FOW HITS BLKS PIM
    W GA GAA SV SA SV% SHO
    10 Keepers
    F- Kopitar Kesler Thornton Benn Draisital Pacioretty Kuznetsov Backes D.Sedin Ryan Burakovsky
    D- Subban Faulk Byfuglien DeHann Martinez Trouba
    G- Halak Dubnyk Talbot
    BN- Bjugstad Dubinsky Ryan Gudas Tanev Hanzal Marleau

12 Team H2H
    B- H/AB R H HR RBI SB K TB AVG OBP
    P - IP W HLD SV K ERA WHIP K/9

B: Hosmer Donaldson Correa Trout Harper Heyward Sano Weiters Duffy Pillar Incarte Hernandez Realmuto Peraza Alvarez Span
    P: Cole Sale Fernandez Cueto Hamels Robertson Giles Wilson Colome Watson Samardzija Bauer Knebel
    F: Turner Travis Margot Stephenson Gouirrel Jr

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dingy View Post
    I would look to trade Wright - Upton and maybe even Storey since you have Xander and could demand a HUGE return based on his start to get a CP x2 - and an Outfilder or two with the ability to fill multiple stat categories like a Kevin Pillar for example on the low end.
    I would definitely second this bit
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Expert

Thanks for the help with further understanding the roster. So focusing on the pitching end...we have 10 slots and its not designated by SP/RP so we can play as many of whatever we want there. Right now I have 9 active pitchers in the majors and the 4 in the minors (Snell, Adams, Hoffman & Mella).

Lots of love I see for Snell, the others are claimed to be tops in their organizations as well. Would it be smart to drop Adams, Hoffman & Mella and grab 3 pitchers I can actually use? It seems like these guys may be options to pick back up later if they starting pushing to the show.

Dobber Sports Titan

I can't say I know Adams or Mella very well, but Hoffman has impressed me from what I have seen, and he's going to get a better opportunity to shine with Colorado since he was the biggest part of the Tulo deal.
    I could definitely see it making a lot more sense to fill the roster spots you have available with guys who are active, meaning dropping one of Mella or Adams for a P on the wire.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I can't say I know Adams or Mella very well, but Hoffman has impressed me from what I have seen, and he's going to get a better opportunity to shine with Colorado since he was the biggest part of the Tulo deal.
    I could definitely see it making a lot more sense to fill the roster spots you have available with guys who are active, meaning dropping one of Mella or Adams for a P on the wire.
    You fail to forget Hoffman is pitching in Coors. I’m not saying he’s going to be bad, but…I do not invest in pitching that’s getting paid by Colorado. The last good pitcher for the Rockies was Jimenez, and he had 1 really good yr, then meh yrs.

I’m not trading for Hoffman, but I won’t drop him for just anyone.

Mazara needs to have an upswing on his swing to be dangerous in the MLB. He has a level swing meaning a lot of hard line drives. A real MLB hitting coach may get him to have that upward swing a bit and watch out. He’s already hitting for a high average for a rookie, and he can hit offspeed pitches unlike most rookies. Curveballs aren’t buckling him.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Thanks for the help with further understanding the roster. So focusing on the pitching end...we have 10 slots and its not designated by SP/RP so we can play as many of whatever we want there. Right now I have 9 active pitchers in the majors and the 4 in the minors (Snell, Adams, Hoffman & Mella).

Lots of love I see for Snell, the others are claimed to be tops in their organizations as well. Would it be smart to drop Adams, Hoffman & Mella and grab 3 pitchers I can actually use? It seems like these guys may be options to pick back up later if they starting pushing to the show.
    All depends if you wanna win now or later. Kershaw, the best pitcher prospect coming into the league at such a young age, wasn’t hitting his potential till his 3rd yr (albeit at 22yrs old). When it comes to pitching, you could/will be waiting a long time till they do well. 3yrs is a typical waiting period for a pitcher to become a starter, which is where you expect any pitcher being drafted into the MLB to be. But Kershaw started as a SP, but hit that great/good yr 3 yrs later.

For what it’s worth, there’s a guy in highschool who’s going to go 1st overall this draft named Jason Groome who could be the next Kershaw. Already he throws 93-96mph (topped off at 98mph today), curve (1 to 7 orbit) and a change. He boasts like a 2ks/ip, and is built like your prototypical pitcher (6’6”, 190lbs). Oh, and he’s a LHP. HE is the pitcher you want to hold onto.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll