Thread: Tyson Jost

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Tyson Jost

This guy caught my attention and I wonder why he is so far down the ISS list. BCHL factor? I think so. Because, if you look at him and see him play, I think he has NHL written all over him and I think a NHL team will surely have him much higher than his current ranking. I saw some clips of him and a couple of reports but I wonder if some of you BC guys have seen him play live this year?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Tyson Jost

I'm curious to hear what others have to say as well. Have a feeling he could drop in my draft.
    14 team h/h dynasty
    Stats, G A PTS PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG shts TOI hts/blks W sv% gaa SO
    $89 mill salary cap, cap hits
    minors- players under 60 gms, goalies under 30 gms
    3c 3lw 3rw 4d 2util 1goal
    max 23 plyr rstr, 15 minors

CENTERS Kuznetsov, Necas, Petterson, Hughes, D.Strome, Seguin, Hayes, Scheifele
    LEFTWING Gaudreau, Mantha, Forsberg, Keller
    RIGHTWING Kakko , Debrincat, Thomas, Konecny
    D-MEN Girard, Provorov, McCavoy, Dobson, Makar
    GOALIES Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin
    IR
    MINORS Brannstrom, Kostin, Dennisenko, Kaprizov, Tippett, Cozens, Tolvanen, Zegras, Byfield , Vessalainen, K.Miller, Kyrou, Janik, Bokk, Lundell, Heinola, Hoglander, Lundkvist

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

In my league, several of the top ten for 2016 are already taken. Jost piqued my interest because the ranking I was reading was highly favorable on his talent level. Here's one bit from http://www.draftutopia.com/2016nhlmockdraft.html

The BCHL may be a pee wee league compared to the CHL where the OHL, QMJHL, and WHL all exist. One player from the BCHL that is not a pee wee player is Tyson Jost. At 6-0 194 lbs, Jost has the versatility to play left wing, center, or right wing at the next level. In 46 regular season games, Jost posted 23 goals, 22 assists, and 45 points. In 21 playoff games with the Penticon Vees, Jost posted 10 goals, 4 assists, and 14 points. This season Jost has 42 goals, 62 assists, and 104 points in 48 regular season games. Jost also has 3 goals, 3 assists, and 6 points through 4 games in the BCHL Playoffs. Jost is averaging 2 points per game, and has really blossomed as a playmaker as well as a sniper. His excellent offensive awareness and blazing speed on tape make him a top 10 pick after maintaining this consistency for such a long period.

Jost got voted team captain by the Penticon Vees for the upcoming 2015-2016 season. Jost is too talented to slip out of the top 10 even if he's not playing in the CHL and projects as a top 6 forward on a first or second line in the NHL. Realistically you are looking at a guy with upside to be a line 2 center or a line 1 winger in the NHL.

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Sophomore

He does have pretty glowing scouting reports but the problem is quality of competition. He's clearly too good for the BCHL. However the BCHL is a significantly inferior league when compared to the CHL and probably even inferior to USHL so the problem is that lack of competition makes it difficult to know where he's at compared to the rest of his peers in that age group and that's all the draft ranking system is. A number compared to your peers.

The same thing happens a lot with players who develop faster physically than their peers. They start out looking light years ahead of everyone because they can dominate easily, until everyone catches up to them physically and then their weaknesses become pretty evident. If he played in the CHL and put up respectable numbers he would be much more highly rated because we'd be able to use a consistent measuring stick.

Not saying he won't be a good player but if you threw an adult on the ice against a bunch of 8 year olds without considering they are playing against 8 year olds, they'd look like superstars in the making too. So the risk and reason he's not more highly rated right now is there's a chance he just looks better than he really is because he's not being challenged.
    Last edited by Jabroni Slayr; April 9, 2016 at 2:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Dobber Sports Expert

Only reason he is in the BCHL is because he has already committed to North Dakota. His only other options would have been to play in the USHL, AJHL, OJHL etc...but he's a BC boy so he stayed close to home...playing the CHL would have voided his NCAA eligibility. Same goes for Dante Fabbro. There is the scare that he could spend 3-4 years in college, but that's not the end of the world. Don't get too worked up on him playing the BCHL, still a top end prospect that will go in the top 20 of the draft.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The speed that Jost plays and processes the game will translate to any level and any league in my opinion.

There are players that can lug the puck quickly up the ice, but playing, distributing, stickhandling, etc all at top speed is a special skill. Jost has exhbited that the few times I've watched. Also, the puck leaps off his stick and changes angles with the body and stick very well, making it harder for goalies to pick up the shot. Skating is a plus, decent size, can be selfish at times but hard to argue that point with the skill he plays with.

I think he'll do very well at UND and might be there for a year. Agree 100% with Goldenlicious that he should be gone by 20.

Dobber Sports Stud

his low ranking is definitely due to the BCHL factor. he'll go top 15 and will be awesome. i wouldn't expect him to stay 3-4 years in college. 2 at most, maybe only one, since he's that good.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by forsbergfan View Post
    his low ranking is definitely due to the BCHL factor. he'll go top 15 and will be awesome. i wouldn't expect him to stay 3-4 years in college. 2 at most, maybe only one, since he's that good.
    If he has a good showing at the U18 I think he will go top 15. It's the perfect time for him show what he can do.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Stud

Kid is a fantastic player and has the skills to become a number one centre in the NHL if everything falls right - something this 2016 draft is light on. He's committed to UND which has a spectacular track record of developing pros, and thinks the game a step ahead of most players.

He'll go top 15, but he's got top 10 talent and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see a team in that 8-12 range take a chance on him.

Few years away from being NHL-ready and fantasy relevant, but he'll be a fun player to watch and (hopefully) one day own.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I know it's only one tournament, but I could see a team going with Jost over McLeod.
    7 teams
    28 keepers

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    I know it's only one tournament, but I could see a team going with Jost over McLeod.
    Absolutely some team could. I haven't watched any of it but heard he's been dominating out there. When I talk about how good McLeod is, its that he's more like guys like Toews, Bergeron, etc. where he plays an exceptional 2-way game for his age (I am not equating him to those two, just in terms of playing style) but also has the offensive ability to put up 60-70 points in the NHL. I honestly don't know much about Jost except what I've read and figured he's more of an offensive centerman. So I guess it'll boil down to more dynamic offense vs. a strong 2-way game.

I think most would prefer McLeod in that sense but at the same time, I'm sure some teams would prefer Jost there.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Absolutely some team could. I haven't watched any of it but heard he's been dominating out there. When I talk about how good McLeod is, its that he's more like guys like Toews, Bergeron, etc. where he plays an exceptional 2-way game for his age (I am not equating him to those two, just in terms of playing style) but also has the offensive ability to put up 60-70 points in the NHL. I honestly don't know much about Jost except what I've read and figured he's more of an offensive centerman. So I guess it'll boil down to more dynamic offense vs. a strong 2-way game.

I think most would prefer McLeod in that sense but at the same time, I'm sure some teams would prefer Jost there.
    Jost is very responsible defensively. And a very good leader. He wears the C for Team Canada.

TSN HockeyCompte certifié ‏@TSNHockey
    WORLD U-18s: @CraigJButton compares 2016 #NHLDraft prospect Tyson Jost's style to Toews http://fw.to/a1ihojR
    7 teams
    28 keepers

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    I think most teams should. Jost is a very well rounded prospect, creates, dangerous shot, speed, decent size, could be a very dangerous offensive player in the NHL with a bit of seasoning. Mike McLeod is a sure-fire NHL player, elite skater, but I worry about his ceiling.