Thread: SJ goalie controversy?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default SJ goalie controversy?

Why has Reimer started 3 of the last 4 games? Who is the #1? I'm not sure it's a good idea to start the playoffs with a cold #1 goalie.

Yes, he did well. But, the opposition was also weaker compared to what Jones faced.

Leave it to coaches to screw goaltending situations. Just before the playoffs, no less. It doesn't look like a smart move. Actually, it looks like something Boudreau would do.
    12-Team One-Year League Rotisserie
    G A +/- PPP SOG HIT W GAA SV% SHO
    Daily Start 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2G
    The Maroons
    The Wanderers

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: SJ goalie controversy?

Jones has played 63 games so far this season. They have a playoff berth locked up and even going back a few games, were unlikely to catch LA anyways. This is good coaching move to get their starter some rest before a tough first round series. I don't see any controversy here. Jones has never played more than 15 games at the NHL level, he's past the burnout stage but I think its smart to rest him and then play him in the final game before the post season.

Dobber Sports Superstar

There was much speculation at the trade deadline that Reimer was being brought in in order to get Jones some rest, and that's what happened.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Padawan

The job is Jones', at least to start. SJ is resting him up and Reimer is enjoying the new environment and playing behind a solid stingy team. If Jones drops the ball, Reimer will see some playtime for sure.

Long term, the west will figure out to start shooting top glove side on Reimer, and his stats will level out.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    There was much speculation at the trade deadline that Reimer was being brought in in order to get Jones some rest, and that's what happened.
    Will he not have enough rest once the first round is over ?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    Will he not have enough rest once the first round is over ?
    They drew the short straw, no argument there. But that should still be a good series which I expect to go at least six and likely seven.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    They drew the short straw, no argument there. But that should still be a good series which I expect to go at least six and likely seven.
    I would actually give them a chance, if they weren't the Sharks and it wasn't the play-offs.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Kinda hard to bet against the Kings for the same reason.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Jones is suffering from the first season as a starter playing 60+ games. He was significantly better in the first half of the season in my opinion. Reimer has come in and is fresh as daisies and it shows. Jones will get the start at the beginning of the playoffs and lose his job to Reimer once SJ goes down in the series. It won't matter though, because the Sharks won't defeat the Kings or Ducks in round 1. SJ should start Reimer in round 1 and hope for the best. I feel bad for Jones, but he is set up for failure.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
    Jones is suffering from the first season as a starter playing 60+ games. He was significantly better in the first half of the season in my opinion. Reimer has come in and is fresh as daisies and it shows. Jones will get the start at the beginning of the playoffs and lose his job to Reimer once SJ goes down in the series. It won't matter though, because the Sharks won't defeat the Kings or Ducks in round 1. SJ should start Reimer in round 1 and hope for the best. I feel bad for Jones, but he is set up for failure.
    Put down the crack-pipe. Jones isn't going anywhere, he's their guy. He's 3rd in the league in Ws and 5th in the league in starts.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, Reimer is having a nice honeymoon but the law of averages will eventually catch up with him. They acquired him to be an upgrade at back-up over Stalock and that is what he is.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Titan

Completely agree Jones is the guy. I think SJ was hoping to quash any controversy with the nice start for Jones against the Jets tonight. That didn't really happen…
    Jones will be starting the playoff series, but if they go down by two games, do we see Reimer?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

I bet Reimer gets the last game, and I bet he wins that one too just to make this "controversy" a bit more interesting, haha!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
    Let's not forget that the Sharks always (at least lately) come out of the gate with an awesome streak and then fade as the year goes on. From there, we all know what happens in the playoffs. Was it Jones who had a great start, or was it just what SJ always does to start a season, and Jones is simply better than Niemi was.