Thread: New equipment effects

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default New equipment effects

I have an open ended question about what the proposed goalie equipment changes will do to skew existing goalie value in the coming years. So I guess the question is, who are the goalies who rely on equipment cheats the most? Which goalies are going to be affected the least with contoured equipment?
    I'm no goalie expert, so any input from you borderline goalie scouts would be mucho appreciato.
    Thanks!
    H2H 12-team Full Keeper - G, A, +/-, PIM, Hits, PPP, SHP, GWG, Shootout Goals, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    24 roster, 6 Farm (<25gp - adjusted only in the offseason)

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: New equipment effects

In general tall butterfly style goalies will have the biggest problems with smaller pads / gear. That means i expect Bishop, Dubnyk and Rinne to be affected.

Smaller hybrid and atheltic goalies should be able to compensate it a little bit better, so goalies like Price and Lundqvist should still be top goalies. That is mainly because they are very flexible. The don't stick to one still, they adapt there game.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    In general tall butterfly style goalies will have the biggest problems with smaller pads / gear. That means i expect Bishop, Dubnyk and Rinne to be affected.

Smaller hybrid and atheltic goalies should be able to compensate it a little bit better, so goalies like Price and Lundqvist should still be top goalies. That is mainly because they are very flexible. The don't stick to one still, they adapt there game.
    I disagree with some of this. I dont think the taller goalies will have as many problems as you think. The bigger they are, the more net they fill by covering the angles better. The bigger equipment helps, but when you are naturally big, you fill more of the net than the smaller goalies simply by your size.

A lot will depend on the actual changes they make. The butterfly goalies like Price could have issues because they use pads that are longer than they need to be; this is to fill the five-hole when they butterfly.

To say who will be affected, early on I'd say most NHL goalies will be affected until they get used to the new size. Goalies that I think will adjust quicker would be the athletic goalies who not only cut down the angles due to the bigger gear, but the ones who tend to scramble too; the more active goalies who don't just drop in the butterfly and let the puck him them. I'd say guys like Hotlby and MAF should adjust quickly.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

The biggest problem is probably that the typical stand up vs. butterfly doesn't work any more. I think we haven't seen a pure stand-up goalies in the last 15 years. But we also haven't seen pure butterfly goalies for quite a while. The game changed a lot and so did the goalie styles. A lot of them are mixed nowadays.

For me taller goalies are usually less athleltic, i know there are exceptions, but the three i mentioned are not.

I agree that Holtby and Fleury should be fine. They are really quick and mobile.

Dobber Sports Deity

When you are six-foot-six +, I dont care if you are standing or on your knees, when they come out to cut down the angle, they fill a lot of the net, especially today with the bigger equipment. The changes they are proposing will make them smaller, but I think they will only be minimally smaller. It's all about what the shooter can see and what they can hit.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Of course you cover more net if you are taller, but let's take Dubynk as an example. He drops down to his knees quite early and his pads are going from post to post. So he covers 2,4 and 5 hole almost completely with just that one move.

If you cut his pads, there will be more space and he's not quick enough to move post to post to cover it.

If you rely on speed and agility it will affect you less.

Dobber Sports Deity

The only place you will find more space on Doobie (when he drops to butterfly) if you shrink the pads will be at the five hole. It's not like his legs are going to get shorter. If he's dropping and covering 2 and 4, that's because his legs are that long to do that; that has nothing to do with the equipment. The stick can cover the five hole if need be. Sure, the pads will apparently be a little thinner so they shooters wont have to get the puck off the ice as high, but that's the difference there.

I'm a five-foot-eight goalie and I only wish I could drop and cover the 2 and four with my legs. LOL!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago
    http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...alie-equipment

I don't think a particular "style" will be affected. It will be more about how adaptable the goalie is. Age could play a factor as well - "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"

We have to wait and see what comes of this whole controversy. Last time they reduced equipment, they barely touched it.

Standard Yahoo 12 team
    G A +/- PPP SOG HIT | W SV% GAA SO

C: Johansen, Duchene, Marchessault
    LW: Ovechkin, B Tkachuk, Parise
    RW: Wheeler, Hoffman, Tuch
    D: Rielly, Edler, Montour, Theodore
    G: Bobrovsky, Hellebuyck, Raanta
    IR: Subban

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    The only place you will find more space on Doobie (when he drops to butterfly) if you shrink the pads will be at the five hole.
    I'm not a goalie expert, but as far as i know 2 and 4 hole are not only low shots but the whole bottom part of the net. So if you shrink the pads, you will have to lift the puck less to score. That makes it easier to score from short ranges.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    I'm not a goalie expert, but as far as i know 2 and 4 hole are not only low shots but the whole bottom part of the net. So if you shrink the pads, you will have to lift the puck less to score. That makes it easier to score from short ranges.
    You are kinda right that the bottom half of the net, on either side of the goalie, are known as the two and four holes. The top half of each side of the goalie is known as the one and three holes. The five hole is the bottom middle part of the net, between the goalies legs. So technically, you cant say the whole bottom part of the net is known as the two and four holes; just the holes on either side of the goalie when he stands straight up.

And yes, if the pads are narrower (which is part of the discussion) then it "should" be easier to score just above them on either side of the net and I said that in the post you quoted in the last line. The part you quoted was me referring to the fact that he's so tall that his legs will still cover the bottom two and four holes along the ice when he goes down into a butterfly. His pads dont extend past his toes.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Obviously goalies will have to adjust when / how quickly they drop into butterfly. The ones that can overcome the reflex/habbit will adapt well. And of course, the athletic 'high movement' goalies should be effected the least: Quick, Holtby...Fleury

Initially, I think the large guys will show the least impact as players and teams all figure out how to adjust their style and strategy.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I have no idea which "style" of goalie is going to be hurt the most. Some solid arguments above as to why bigger goalies will hurt the most and the least. With no precedent it's hard to predict what will happen and the unexpected will occur.

For that reason I am downgrading my confidence level in all goalies going forward, the less proven the more I'm concerned. I predict at least one top-10 goalie will be hurt much more by the new equipment than the rest, due to style, non adapting, mental confidence. In my one year league next year I'm pushing all goalies further down the charts and if I'm in a keeper I'm not giving as much value for any goalie until I see how they play under the new gear.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR