Thread: Need insight on some AHL players

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Need insight on some AHL players

I did quite well in recent years to add free agents in 2 of my league which are not so deep. So i was able to grab players like Kucherov, Murray or Gostisbehere before they made it to the NHL.

I'm looking for 1 or 2 players to add this summer who will turn out to be steals, so i'd love to read some opinions about some player who are on my watch list.

TJ Brennan - He is dominating the AHL. His shot is lethal and he's a good skater. Will his poor defensive game make him a AHL player for the rest of his career and will the Leafs even resign him?

Brendon Montour - I think he has all the tools to make it to the NHL and succeed, but will it be anytime soon? Could he replace Vatanen as soon as next season?

Seth Griffith - After 3 seasons in the AHL, will he be in the NHL next season? Is he strong enough to make an impact, or is he a long term project ?

Alexander Khokhlachev - I read some reports about him and some attitude problems. Will he be able to shift to the next gear and make the Bruins next season? Will it be him or Griffith or could it be both?

Juuse Saros - Is he going to be back-up in Nashville or will he get 1 or 2 more season in the AHL ?

Anthony DeAngelo - Is he ready and will he make the team this summer ?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Need insight on some AHL players

DeAngelo's name sticks out like a sore thumb on this list. He has the potential to be for Tbay next year what Ghost was this year.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

If deangelo available the. That's who I would grab out of this list. Any other notables?
    14 team h/h dynasty
    Stats, G A PTS PIM +/- PPP SHP GWG shts TOI hts/blks W sv% gaa SO
    $89 mill salary cap, cap hits
    minors- players under 60 gms, goalies under 30 gms
    3c 3lw 3rw 4d 2util 1goal
    max 23 plyr rstr, 15 minors

CENTERS Kuznetsov, Necas, Petterson, Hughes, D.Strome, Seguin, Hayes, Scheifele
    LEFTWING Gaudreau, Mantha, Forsberg, Keller
    RIGHTWING Kakko , Debrincat, Thomas, Konecny
    D-MEN Girard, Provorov, McCavoy, Dobson, Makar
    GOALIES Gibson, Shesterkin, Sorokin
    IR
    MINORS Brannstrom, Kostin, Dennisenko, Kaprizov, Tippett, Cozens, Tolvanen, Zegras, Byfield , Vessalainen, K.Miller, Kyrou, Janik, Bokk, Lundell, Heinola, Hoglander, Lundkvist

Dobber Sports Initiate

I'd stay away from TJ Brennan. The man can play point on a PP, sure. But his defensive play is so atrocious that no NHL coach'll let him play. In the small sample of games played with the Leafs, Babcock has stapled his ass to the bench for the most part.

I've been following Brennan for most of his career as I drafted him in a keeper pool that allows defensemen four years to graduate. After four years without a hint of NHL play, I had to let him go. But I've been watching ever since and what I've seen is all bad.

Steer clear.
    14-team Keeper w/custom salary cap
    Keep btw 12-14, excl. Minors
    Skater cats (weight): G (1.75), A (1.75), +/- (0.75), Hits (0.75), BS (0.75)
    Goalie cats: W (0.25), GAA (1.00), SV% (1.00)

C : Colton Kuznetsov Frost WKarlsson ---MBourque Rossi MSavoie Fantilli Carlsson
    LW: Caufield Hagel Nichushkin EKane---Musty
    RW: Tippett Necas Brown Kakko---Yurov Lysell Stankoven ECowan
    D : Theodore Seider Addison Klingberg Gostisbehere Fehervary---Edvinsson
    G : Talbot Korpisalo ---Commesso Augustine
    Bench/IR: Chabot Hart Novak Andersen

2024 entry draft picks: 3 1sts, 1 2nd
    2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd
    Fantrax IHL Champion: 2018/19, 2015/16, 2011/12

Dobber Sports Expert

DeAngelo
    Khokhlachev
    Saros
    Montour
    Griffith
    Brennan

Saros is the wild card here depending on your scoring setting, value of goalies, and availability of tendys. I think he sees regular action in the NHL next year as a backup. If goalies are valuable, I'd bump him to the top...given that you say your league is not very dee, you can drop him to the bottom (but stil above Brennan).

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Sherpa View Post
    I'd stay away from TJ Brennan. The man can play point on a PP, sure. But his defensive play is so atrocious that no NHL coach'll let him play. In the small sample of games played with the Leafs, Babcock has stapled his ass to the bench for the most part.

I've been following Brennan for most of his career as I drafted him in a keeper pool that allows defensemen four years to graduate. After four years without a hint of NHL play, I had to let him go. But I've been watching ever since and what I've seen is all bad.

Steer clear.
    ^Seconded. He's a career AHLer
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Veteran

DeAngelo and Montour for me. I think they will be in the NHL somewhere next year.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    DeAngelo and Montour for me. I think they will be in the NHL somewhere next year.
    Those two for me as well. All the others have way too big questionsmarks to really pick them up. Both Montour and DeAngelo will become NHLérs.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Deity

Honestly, with the exception of Brennan, I think all have NHL upside and potential.

Both of the Bruins forwards are on the cusp of finding their way to full time duty, much like Spooner was for a few seasons before finally getting his break this season.

I like Montour but he's going to have a harder time becoming fantasy relevant with that deep, young, Ducks blue line. If Vatanen leaves this summer, that opening is Theodore's, not Montours.

It's hard to say what happens this summer with Nashville's goalies, moreso Carter Hutton. He's a UFA at the end of this year and Saros has been outstanding in the AHL this past year and is only one year into his three year ELC. Depending on how much Hutton wants, he could price himself right out of a backup job and it could be Saros' to win. Personally, I think he needs another year in the AHL, but that's just my opinion. Either way, Rinne still has three more years on his current contract. Saros won't be stealing that from him anytime soon.

DeAngelo is still a couple seasons away from full time duty as well. He had some issues in the organization this season that saw him getting scratched a few games but he definitely has the highest upside from your list IMO.

If I only had to pick two from this list, I'd probably grab DeAngelo and Saros but expect to wait on both for a couple seasons. I can see some of the others on your list making the NHL sooner, but I like the upside of DeAngelo and Saros more, assuming you don't mind the wait.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."