Thread: Flyers sign undrafted G Alex Lyon

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Flyers sign undrafted G Alex Lyon

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=877273

The Philadelphia Flyers have signed 6-1, 200-lb goaltender Alex Lyon to an entry-level contract, according to general manager Ron Hextall.

Lyon, 23 (12/9/1992), recently completed his third season at Yale University. He posted a record of 19-8-4 with a 1.64 goals-against average and a .936 save percentage, along with five shutouts, to help Yale reach the 2016 NCAA East Regional after a second-place finish in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC). Lyon led the ECAC in goals-against average and save percentage for the second year in a row, while finishing third in win percentage.

Also for the second consecutive year, Lyon is a finalist for the 2016 Mike Richter Award, which honors the most outstanding goaltender in NCAA men’s hockey. The award will be presented this Friday at the Frozen Four in Tampa. Lyon was also a top-10 finalist for the Hobey Baker Award as college hockey's most outstanding player.

A native of Baudette, MN, Lyon started all but one game this season for Yale and was a three-time ECAC Goalie of the Week and two-time ECAC Goalie of the Month. His career goals-against average (1.88), save percentage (.931), wins (50) and shutouts (15) are all school records
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Flyers sign undrafted G Alex Lyon

Long term, what is Lyon's upside? A 30 Win goalie? I know it is hard to predict, but I'm just curious.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Deity

God knows.

The Flyers just invested in three goalies in last years draft too, a couple pretty good ones in the third round too in Sandstrom and Tomek.

I'd say one of them are the long expected starters but we all know how volatile and unpredictable young goalies are.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Long term, what is Lyon's upside? A 30 Win goalie? I know it is hard to predict, but I'm just curious.
    Can we even evaluate goalies that way? I would think opportunity and team quality trumps what we've seen from him. I guess the fact he has been a workhorse all three years at the college level is worth noting.

I'd rate him as a long-shot like most other goalie prospects. Worth adding in a deeper league with limited alternatives but I wouldn't go out of my way to acquire him.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    The Flyers just invested in three goalies in last years draft too, a couple pretty good ones in the third round too in Sandstrom and Tomek.

I'd say one of them are the long expected starters but we all know how volatile and unpredictable young goalies are.
    and don't forget, the flyers also have merrick madsen, who had a fantastic season in the ncaa, and who might even be closer to nhl-ready than last year's 3rd rounders.
    and btw, if I am correct, tomek had an awful season.
    i'd definitely pick up lyon. he's got just as good a chance at one day grabbing the flyers starting job as the rest of them.

Dobber Sports Expert

I don't think you can predict goaltending upsides in terms of wins solely based on the goalie. A lot depends on the team in front of him, style of play, opportunity etc.

With Sandstrom, Tomek, Fedotov & Stolarz as recent investments, there's a lot to battle with...right now his main competition is against Stolarz so if he outduels him, he'll get his shots (he'll get shots regardless). But I'm not sure what starter upside is....I'd predict more of a time share/backup goalie like a Reimer

Banned

they have way too many goalie prospects now. They will be dealing in the near future

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think you are mistaken, Tomek was hurt with a lower body injury and did not play
    Kucherov , Pastrnak , Guentzel Miller, Rantanen
    Teravainen , Cirelli, Nelson , Konecny

Ekblad, Girard, Pionk, Parayko , Graves

Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck , Korpisalo

FARM TEAM --Brannstrom, Drysdale

League Champion-2007-08,2008-09 , 2015-16, 2017-18

Scoring is, G,A,PTS, PPG, PPA, GWG, +/-, SHOTS, GOALIE, W, SAVE %, GAA, SHUTOUT
    12 TEAM H2H, TOTAL KEEPER, NO SALARY CAP.
    ROSTERS-NEED TO START- 6 FOWARDS,4 DEE,2 GOALIES
    6 BENCH PLAYERS.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by BOB SOLORIO View Post
    I think you are mistaken, Tomek was hurt with a lower body injury and did not play
    i knew there was something that went wrong this year. either way, he's now a year farther away from being ready. and with so many other of the flyers goalies having good years (stolarz, lyon, sandstorm, madsen), that moves him to the bottom of the totem pole.