Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which player would you pick FIRST OVERALL in playoff pool draft??

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Which player would you pick FIRST OVERALL in playoff pool draft??

Since I'm going with Washington to go all the way this year I would go

Holtby (32 points)
    Kuznetsov
    Backstrom
    Ovechkin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    With 18 GMs... there's actually more strategy that comes into play here then one would think.

I think first guy off the board is either OV or Holtby.
    Either way, the CAPS seem primed to be odds-on fave to get to Cup.

That means that several Capitals will be selected in 1st round, exp. OV/Holtby/Backstrom/Kuz/Carlson... and the teams that invest in these guys are probably doubling up on their investment on the way back.
    Does that leave YOU with a 2nd Capital to select???

It's a tough situation.
    My proposed quandry is that can you even WIN this playoff pool if you have just OV in the final when some other team may have Holtby/Carlson or Backstrom/J.Williams or Kuznetsov/Oshie???

All that typed out... ah, I'd probably go with Ovechkin as well.
    Just be sure that you go with a Western-team player on the way back.
    You'll need your top three picks to probably go through to Conference Finals to have any shot to win.
    Thanks Pengwin7. Agree there probably won't be a lot of big name Caps left by the time we make our 2nd (36th overall) pick. But you never know with these guys as a lot of the franchises seem to be stuck on Household names and others favour certain teams regardless of the odds. so there could still be some good 2nd tier Caps available maybe as late as our 2nd pick. We got lucky last year. Someone took Getzlaf then we Got Perry with our first pick. Then everyone quit taking Ducks except us...we got Kesler, Silfberg, Vatenen, Cogliano and a few others. Even though Ducks didn't make it to the Finals we racked up enough points to take 2nd easily. Don't think that will happen with the Caps this year. Some other years we decided on 2 teams from the east OR 2 from the west and loaded up ...hoping both or one or the other of the 2 would go deep into the playoffs. To me this is a more Conservative play than one from the east and one from the west.

SO THE QUESTION of course...which team from the West or and a 2nd from the east would you and others consider.

Thanks for taking the time Pengwin7 and all the others who replied. Appreciate your help.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Since I'm going with Washington to go all the way this year I would go

Holtby (32 points)
    Kuznetsov
    Backstrom
    Ovechkin
    Thanks. You are optomistic. Holtby would have to get 16 shutouts to get 32 points with our goalie points set up... 1 point for win and a second point for a shut out. So probably 18 or so points with 16 wins and a couple of shut outs. I suspect we will only be able to get one of these 4 by the time our 2nd pick (36th overall) rolls around. You're not very excited about Ovi...any reason why?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    ...which is why I'd probably go Holtby here.

I wouldn't take Kuz or Backs because I could possibly get one or the other with my next pick.
    Thanks for taking the time. We pick 1st and then 36th so highly likely we would be able to get more than one of Ovi, Backs, Kuz or Holtby. Of these, Holtby would be the likeliest candidate to be available as the 36th pick because for some reason the franchises in this draft have a bit of an aversion to goalies. That being said, I think all 4 will be gone by the time we pick 36th.

Dobber Sports Icon

Don't forget Williams or even Oshie at 36. Either way this is 1st overall. Don't over think it and take 8.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    Drew Doughty
    You like the Kings from the West eh? Just read that Doughty usually has better ppg in playoffs than reg season and he is having a good year. West is a cripeshoot though this year. So going to go with someone from the east. Thanks for posting, appreciate you taking the time.

Banned

I wouldn't go with the caps just based on their history.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I would take Getzlaf.. The ducks are still pissed about last year and they are primed to make their mark..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Thanks for replying BigEv. If not the Caps...which team do you suggest?

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    You can't base what they are capable of doing this year based on their history. They are an improved team this year and after bringing in guys like like Justin Williams and TJ Oshie and even Kuznetsov taking the next step this season, they are a different, more balanced team. I like them to go deep into the playoffs.

I don't see too many teams in the East giving them much difficulties. The Rangers will be tough again this year, but the only other team that MAY have given them a run has now been hit hard with injuries (Lightning). The Penguins need Fleury back to give teams fits as well. I dont trust Murray to carry them in the playoffs.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

I have a hard time not seeing Pittsburgh come out of the East...therefore I would pick Crosby....I figure PIT/WAS battle round 2 and the winner easily takes out the Atlantic division winner.

The west is such a crapshoot that I really can't figure out who is going to be in the finals to pick one player.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The Caps are the team to go with in the East.
    People that say not to go with them because of their history are... (insert word of choice).

This is not the same team as 2-3 seasons ago.
    There's no Mike Green or Alex Semin on this team.
    And you've got a very solid new coach in Trotz - who has NEVER had talent on a team like this one.

The Caps are a 33% Vegas (top) team to win the Cup.
    The Caps are almost a 50% (top) team to win the East.
    http://www.vegasinsider.com/nhl/odds/futures/
    When in doubt, the Vegas odds are smarter than any of us.
    If Vegas overwhelmingly supports a candidate... you go with them.
    It's actually very, very rare for an NHL team to be as favored as the Caps are at this point.

Banned

You guys laugh but Caps fans will understand why you should never say they are a sure thing to do anything. If they play Pittsburgh they will lose. They always have. They can't get over the hump. Ovechkin is also rumored to be playing with an injury.

The Caps haven't been as good over the last month or so and Holtby's numbers have declined. They are not exactly hot at the right time. IIRC they have given up a ton of first period goals in the laast few months compared to the other teams, and are rallying back in games. That's not a recipe for playoff success if that continues.

Vegas odds mean nothing when the puck hits the ice (and I am a gambler, a very good gambler). Hockey is too much a crap shoot with randomness. This isn't basketball where you know the Cavs and Warriors or Spurs are the only teams that have a chance. I actually do have money on the Caps to win the Cup along with some other teams, but I can't fully trust the Caps or Barry Trotz (who has proven nothing in the playoffs) to go to the Final. I'm a Sens fan who lived through the days when the Sens were always the East or Cup favourite in the early 2000's. We always lost to the Leafs.

I'm not saying the Caps shouldn't be the favourite, but I just can't trust them to do anything. That's just me, I just wouldn't rely on Caps in a playoff pool. On paper they are the best team, but head to head in 7 games under pressure, I'm taking the Rangers and Penguins over them. I also would might pick the Flyers if they play eachother in Round 1, or at least for the series to go 7 games. The Flyers are red hot and have firepower and good goaltending. The Caps always find a way to let their city down, and I always find a way to make money off it as I bet Montreal to beat them in 2010, Pittsburgh in 2009, etc. It is a different team, but like I said I just can't shake the negative vibes that always come from the Caps in the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

the only team in the east that can beat the caps in a 7 game series is the pens.

given the caps might be the team a lot of people load up on, if you can grab the penguins core that could be enough to win you the pool assuming your other picks dont bomb

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    the only team in the east that can beat the caps in a 7 game series is the pens.

given the caps might be the team a lot of people load up on, if you can grab the penguins core that could be enough to win you the pool assuming your other picks dont bomb
    Based on what?