Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Which player would you pick FIRST OVERALL in playoff pool draft??

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Which player would you pick FIRST OVERALL in playoff pool draft??

We have first pick in an 18 Franchise draft. And don't have a clue who to take. So would really enjoy and appreciate hearing your thoughts on which 1 or 2 players would be your first pick. Each franchise gets 11 picks so we go pretty deep and it takes hours. We get 1st then 36th picks then the last 9 rounds are random. Points only. Skaters 1 point each for G/A. Goalies 1 pt for win plus 1 for shut out. The way the first round match ups are now looks like Dallas might have the easiest vs Minny???

Historically, goalies who get lots of wins and a shut out or 2 are usually amongst the leading point getters in this format but never get the most points.

Really appreciate your taking the time to help and give your thoughts on this.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Which player would you pick FIRST OVERALL in playoff pool draft??

I'd probably take Ovechkin first overall. I think they have as good a chance as anyone coming out of the East to go to the Finals.

If you are looking for a goalie, I'd go with Holtby for the same reason as above.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Agree with axe here. OV has to be the first overall...even over Kane imo. WSH looks to be an absolute juggernaut.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Titan

Agree with the above. The West is way too cloudy to be using first pick on anyone there
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Pick which team you think will be in the finals and pick the best available player. Make sure you calculate your goalie points. 2pts per win = 32 pts for a goalies that goes all the way.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Superstar

Top goalie will get 16 W, 3-4 SO = 19-20 points.

Last year 6 skaters had 20+ playoff points. Given that I'd pick the team you like to go the deepest and the guy who you think scores the most. For me that's Ovechkin, I like the Capitals thru the East more than any team out West.

If the league was smaller I would give some thought to who might be available in rounds 2-3 and try and load up on one team but trying to figure out who you'll get at 36 is impossible so don't bother.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Superstar

Drew Doughty
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Guentzel,Sv ech,Thomas,Rust,Jenner,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault,Sc hwartz,Arvidsson
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Harley,Pettersson
    G:Jarry,Kotchetkov,Stolarz
    IR:Gudas,Vilardi

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Kempe,Vilardi
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Nyquist
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Demi-God

With 18 GMs... there's actually more strategy that comes into play here then one would think.

I think first guy off the board is either OV or Holtby.
    Either way, the CAPS seem primed to be odds-on fave to get to Cup.

That means that several Capitals will be selected in 1st round, exp. OV/Holtby/Backstrom/Kuz/Carlson... and the teams that invest in these guys are probably doubling up on their investment on the way back.
    Does that leave YOU with a 2nd Capital to select???

It's a tough situation.
    My proposed quandry is that can you even WIN this playoff pool if you have just OV in the final when some other team may have Holtby/Carlson or Backstrom/J.Williams or Kuznetsov/Oshie???

All that typed out... ah, I'd probably go with Ovechkin as well.
    Just be sure that you go with a Western-team player on the way back.
    You'll need your top three picks to probably go through to Conference Finals to have any shot to win.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

whatever you do make sure you load up on 2-4 teams, pretty much whoever you think will go to the conference finals. an average player on a good team that plays 3-4 series will likely outscore a good player on a weaker team that only plays 1-2.

ex. if you think Anaheim will go to round 3/4 but Tampa only 1/2, take someone like Rakell over Kucherov. Seems kind of obvious but I always see noobs selecting top players on teams that likely won't go far. Rarely works out for them unless they hit a homerun where you see a 7/8 seed make it to the final

Banned

i don't agree with Ovechkin. If you like the Caps to go deep, Kuznetsov and Backstrom are better for points.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    i don't agree with Ovechkin. If you like the Caps to go deep, Kuznetsov and Backstrom are better for points.
    ...which is why I'd probably go Holtby here.

I wouldn't take Kuz or Backs because I could possibly get one or the other with my next pick.

EDIT: Misssedthat it was 18 (wow) franchises, so disregard the second part of my remark.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks for all the replies guys. Very thoughtful and informative. Appreciate you taking the time. So far, looks like the Caps are the favourites to go a long way in the playoffs. Please keep your thoughts and opinions coming...need all the help we can get.

Dobber Sports Giant

I would go with a player no doubt over a goalie with the 1st pick. If it wasn't for Fleury's concussion (although Murray is playing great), I would be inclined to go with Crosby as I think the Pens could surprise many if they have their 2 goalies going forward. As others have said, the West is wayyy too difficult to gauge this year so I would stick with an Eastern team that you think will go far. Ovie seems like the easy pick, but if you want a bold pick, Crosby is not a bad one.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Very thoughtful and informative. Appreciate you taking the time. So far, looks like the Caps are the favourites to go a long way in the playoffs. Please keep your thoughts and opinions coming...need all the help we can get.
    Frankly I expect it's that most of us think that the Caps are less likely to be upset and an early exit with their having home ice and being in the East, whereas the West is a lot more of a crapshoot.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    Top goalie will get 16 W, 3-4 SO = 19-20 points.

Last year 6 skaters had 20+ playoff points. Given that I'd pick the team you like to go the deepest and the guy who you think scores the most. For me that's Ovechkin, I like the Capitals thru the East more than any team out West.

If the league was smaller I would give some thought to who might be available in rounds 2-3 and try and load up on one team but trying to figure out who you'll get at 36 is impossible so don't bother.
    Agree with you re goalie points...and we have to pick A goalie...can't just pick THE goalies from a team. One guy has to be in the nets for all wins, no tandems...or you get split points. So goalies, especially these days, are kind of risky. Holtby, Quick and a few others are probably exceptions. And yea, we will will just have to wait and see who is available for our 2nd, the 36th pick overall, you never know. Thanks for taking the time.