Thread: Fleury..concussion..time to think about Murray?

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Fleury..concussion..time to think about Murray?

With two concussions this year..is it time to start to look at Murray as a timeshare guy next season? Or is this getting bad enough that Pitt loos to add another solid goalie should his concussion be career ending type stuff?
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Fleury..concussion..time to think about Murray?

Since Fleury still have 3 years to his contract I dont think it will be next year, maybe the year after. Unless Murray brings them far in the playoff.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by BillyD. View Post
    Since Fleury still have 3 years to his contract I dont think it will be next year, maybe the year after. Unless Murray brings them far in the playoff.
    In a normal situation sure..but concussions wait for no man or contract
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Expert

Murray is at worst the back-up next season, Zatkoff's contract expires this summer and the Pens will not resign him. They might get a younger back-up for the AHL team, but the starter there will be Jarry.

There are rumors that 2 or 3 teams already tried to trade for Murray, as a lot see him as a future top 10 goalies, who might already be NHL ready. I don't think the Pens want to trade Murray and i also don't think they will and can trade Fleury.

So no matter what happens, they will start next season with Fleury and Murray. I don't see Fleury's injury to be so serious that he has to end his career. With Crosby and Letang around, doctors in town have a lot of experience with concussions.

So for your question. Murray should allow the Penguins to give Fleury more rest during the regular season. I see 25 games for him next season.

This should be it, there is no need to rush him.

Two things could actually change the situation. First is Murray carries the Penguins deep in the playoffs and second is that Fleury struggles like he did 3 years ago.

So overall you should keep an eye on Murray, long term he is top 3 on my young goalie list, but don't treat him as a starter for the next 2 years.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Is Zatkoff going to be gone for sure?

Dobber Sports Expert

They don't even play him in back to back situations anymore. If the Pens win on thursday, he will get his start for the last game of the season and then he will be gone. Penguins will for sure go with Murray and Fleury for next season.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post
    Murray is at worst the back-up next season, Zatkoff's contract expires this summer and the Pens will not resign him. They might get a younger back-up for the AHL team, but the starter there will be Jarry.

There are rumors that 2 or 3 teams already tried to trade for Murray, as a lot see him as a future top 10 goalies, who might already be NHL ready. I don't think the Pens want to trade Murray and i also don't think they will and can trade Fleury.

So no matter what happens, they will start next season with Fleury and Murray. I don't see Fleury's injury to be so serious that he has to end his career. With Crosby and Letang around, doctors in town have a lot of experience with concussions.

So for your question. Murray should allow the Penguins to give Fleury more rest during the regular season. I see 25 games for him next season.

Two things could actually change the situation. First is Murray carries the Penguins deep in the playoffs and second is that Fleury struggles like he did 3 years ago.

So overall you should keep an eye on Murray, long term he is top 3 on my young goalie list, but don't treat him as a starter for the next 2 years.
    ^^ Spot on.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis4022 View Post

I imagine they would want him to have more playing time than that. Maybe rotate him up and down like the Lightning do to Vas

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post
    I imagine they would want him to have more playing time than that. Maybe rotate him up and down like the Lightning do to Vas
    Well i see 25 for Murray, 2 to 5 for Jarry and the rest (52-55) for Fleury. This could change should Fleury get hurt or struggle.

Just keep in mind that Fleury had 58 starts this season and that although he will have missed 14 games due injuries. So cutting him down to 55 in a healthy season is already a lot. The will not do more than that, he's still the starter and he proved that he can win a cup.

Dobber Sports Novice

I have been racking my head on Murrays future. I currently have Murray, Lundqvist, and Jones. I like Murrays future but I have 2 solid tenders. I was just offered Teravainen for him. Should I move Murray or will I kick myself?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by torpedo View Post
    I have been racking my head on Murrays future. I currently have Murray, Lundqvist, and Jones. I like Murrays future but I have 2 solid tenders. I was just offered Teravainen for him. Should I move Murray or will I kick myself?
    Depends on how close to winning you are. If you're going for it next year, I would make the move for TT, since Murray likely won't be doing too much backing up Fleury, however in any other case, I would keep Murray for every year after that.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks, not going for it. Long term build.