Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Firefox and Stop Scripts

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Firefox and Stop Scripts

Does anyone use Firefox here and have Dobber’s site completely hang on you? It’s crazy annoying because there’s a script running in the background and it’s trying to load all these ads I think at the same time. I use a script blocker, then I can’t have “enter spaces” on my posts, it just posts them as 1 big paragraph.

It’s Dobber for sure because this is the only site it happens on. It seems to happen in phases for me. Like this is the first time it’s happened to me where every page I load, it hangs and prompts me to stop the script in about 2 months.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Firefox and Stop Scripts

Yes. All the time. Lately much worse than usual

Dobber Sports Stud

Same here, I'm sure someone is looking into this.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

It tries to launch audio or video as well - little speaker icon in the tab. Feels like the website has been compromised If it helps, download the firefox add-on, 'no-scripts' and run when browsing..

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yes - I use Firefox at work and get the script-message quite a bit.
    It's frustrating... some days it happens a lot.
    And I used to get the pop-up videos for a month or two last year (2015)... but can't recall having it happen this calendar year (2016).

Dobber Sports Titan

I use “YesScript” which I guess does the same thing. But when I post when it’s armed, I can’t post multiple paragraphs. It’ll lump them all into 1 big paragraph. Pretty sure the audio/video ads at the bottom of the screen is what’s the cause of all this.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I used to see it happen all the time. Several months back I set Flash on "Ask to Activate" and now it doesn't happen any more.

EDIT: I should add that I didn't reset my Flash plugin because of this site. I did it because media sites such as CNN and ESPN changed their sites to auto-play their Flash content on page load, which I didn't like or need.

That these periodic lock-ups seem to have gone away as a result is a happy coincidence.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Titan

I think I got it going well, unistalled Flash, reinstalled it, when prompted to block something or allow it, I just blocked it.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

someone posted a similar thread a while back where i think some of my advice worked for a few people, you may want to check it out.

off the top of my head you can click on firefox settings in the browser and go to add ons and click on "never activate" for some of the stuff you likely don't care about which should increase performance when visiting the site. firefox uses a shit tonne of memory so it does lag at times for me at work especially if i have multiple tabs open.

and since i mainly use firefox for personal browsing (mainly reading the ramblings, forum etc) i disable the flash stuff and it runs a lot smoother.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Dikoi View Post
    Same here, I'm sure someone is looking into this.
    No, nobody is. I didn't know, I haven't used FF in years. What is the issue? Just hanging? DobberHockey, or in the forum? After the page loads it hangs, or it hangs in mid-load?
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Happens constantly. Makes Dobberhockey nearly unusable from Firefox.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    No, nobody is. I didn't know, I haven't used FF in years. What is the issue? Just hanging? DobberHockey, or in the forum? After the page loads it hangs, or it hangs in mid-load?
    Page is loaded, and it hangs up when ads are loaded I think. It’s to do with the flashplayer loading which makes me think it’s the video ads. I’ve notice the “Archer” one seems to hang up the site.

Usually it’s a simple fix of closing the browser and opening it back up, thus clearing and flash items hanging the load up. But earlier today before I reinstalled flash and blocked something it was terrible.

The “stop script” prompt comes up when it takes too long to load.

I...am your father.

Video ads are the way of the world now, there's not avoiding it. But that being said, I'm not sure why companies can't figure out that they're crashing computers of a third of the users and they can't adjust their ads accordingly. Not just the media companies, but Firefox development team, etc.
    But I'll try to get the video ads off. Pro Mix is bothering me right now in the forum, so we blocked that one (have to do it one at a time)

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Video ads are the way of the world now, there's not avoiding it. But that being said, I'm not sure why companies can't figure out that they're crashing computers of a third of the users and they can't adjust their ads accordingly. Not just the media companies, but Firefox development team, etc.
    But I'll try to get the video ads off. Pro Mix is bothering me right now in the forum, so we blocked that one (have to do it one at a time)
    I get the video ad, makes sense when even “pictures” are videos now (iPhone 6s with the gif recording). I was just curious if someone else had the issues as of recent. I seem to have figured it out with uninstalling all plugins I have for firefox and reinstalling an ad/script blocker.

It annoys me that firefox hasn’t figured out how to dial back their CPU usage. It’s FireFox, Chrome, and Safari pretty much for internet software or whatever. But Safari is only Mac used (who’d use it for a Windows computer:-S).

I...am your father.

It's crashing for me non-stop and I can't figure out why. I'll get it though...

It only crashes after the page has been loaded for a couple of minutes. Then shockwave errors.