Thread: Top 5 2016 vs a couple of mine

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Top 5 2016 vs a couple of mine

Not sure if this is in the right thread as it also deals with drafted prospects, but here goes.

It's for the league in my signature, so farm team players are automaticaly kept for free until I decide to move them up (whenever I want, no time/GP limit).

Another guy in my league has started asking me about W.Nylander and/or M.Rantanen. I know he has a couple of 1st round picks. Draft lottery hasn't happened yet so we still don't know where they'll end up, but odds are good that at least one will be a top 5 pick (5/36 balls in the pot for one pick and 6/36 for the other, my 1st round pick only has 1/36).

Figuring the top 5, fantasy wise, should be close to : A.Mathews, P.Laine, J.Puljujarvi, M.Tkatchuk, A.Nylander. (some posts see Dubois as a possible top 5 fantasy-wise)

Would you trade either W.Nylander or Rantanen for any of them? (if so, which for whom?)

Thanks!
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Top 5 2016 vs a couple of mine

In case this changes anything, the other guy's 1st round picks will be, worst case, top 8 picks.
    On a fantasy hockey break.

Dobber Sports Expert

I'd hold onto Willie and Mikko here (though I'm not a big fan of Willie tbh)...but these two are closer to the NHL and the picks you're trading for are no guarantee and by no means are you sure to land any one of the Matthews, the Fins, Tkachuk or Dubois...Rantanen and Nylander both had great rookie seasons in the AHL this year, no reason to sell them off for two other prospects not as far along in the development line.

Dobber Sports Deity

I'd put both Rantanen and WNylander right in the mix with the Fins and Tkachuk. I wouldnt say they are ahead of them but I wouldnt put them behind them either. Close to equal for me. Matthews is ahead of all of them.

I dont consider Dubois in that same league yet but thats just my opinion. He would be behind all of them right now.

I wouldnt trade Rantanen or WNylander for anything less than a top four pick.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I'd put both Rantanen and WNylander right in the mix with the Fins and Tkachuk. I wouldnt say they are ahead of them but I wouldnt put them behind them either. Close to equal for me. Matthews is ahead of all of them.

I dont consider Dubois in that same league yet but thats just my opinion. He would be behind all of them right now.

I wouldnt trade Rantanen or WNylander for anything less than a top four pick.
    I agree with this. I have Rantanen and W. Nylander in the same company as the two Finn's this year. Seeing as I've been impressed with Rantanen and Nylander in their first pro seasons, I think I'd give them a slight edge. I don't think Dubois has the upside of any of those guys, although he's probably a more complete two way guy.

I'd rank them:

1. Matthews
    2. W. Nylander
    3. Rantanen
    4. Laine
    5. Pujuljarvi
    6. Tkachuk
    7. A. Nylander
    8. Dubois

And if you're alo including defenceman, I'd slide Chychrun into the #7 slot. I think he's going to be very Ekblad-like.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by FinnishFlash View Post
    And if you're alo including defenceman, I'd slide Chychrun into the #7 slot. I think he's going to be very Ekblad-like.
    I have seen this before and wonder where these comparisons are coming from. If Chychrun is that good then why is he not seriously in the discussion for no. 1 overall? Was Ekblad's draft class that much weaker than this one?

Dobber Sports Expert

Moreso Ekblad-lite than Ekblad-like...he will be a very good defenseman and a franchise one at that, but he's not quite in Ekblad's class

Dobber Sports Stud

personally, i'd take both the finns over rantanen, but not nylander. I see nylander as a franchise player, future superstar. rantanen is very patric-hornqvist-esque, which is really good, but I don't think as good as the finns will be. laine is probably the best goal scorer to come out of the draft since ovechkin - let's not forget that. and puljujarvi should be just as good.

Dobber Sports Veteran

My ranking:

Matthews
    Laine
    Nylander
    Puljujarvi
    Rantanen

I would'nt do that trade.

And regarding Dubois, his upside is higher than people think.
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    My ranking:

Matthews
    Laine
    Nylander
    Puljujarvi
    Rantanen

I would'nt do that trade.

And regarding Dubois, his upside is higher than people think.
    Thank you...I'm glad somebody finally said it #norespect

Dobber Sports Giant

Since you can't guarantee that you will get a top-5 pick, I would hold on to what you have. If he lands the 1st, try trading him both your guys for Matthews; he may bite...
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    I have seen this before and wonder where these comparisons are coming from. If Chychrun is that good then why is he not seriously in the discussion for no. 1 overall? Was Ekblad's draft class that much weaker than this one?
    Short answer: yes.

Ekblad would for sure go after Matthews, and possibly the Finns as well if they were all 18 year old draftees. Chychrun is not quite on Ekblad's level, but they are similar players and prospects.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar