Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Dobber - Ask Your Questions Now! - Easter Edition

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Dobber - Ask Your Questions Now! - Easter Edition

Your thoughts on an interesting forum discussion: How much does luck vs. skill come into play in fantasy playoffs?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Novice

Tough pill to swallow with the news that Kuch won't be playing tn .... hopefully its nothing serious and he's back next game. If not who would be a viable replacement for him rest of the week?
    FA's available are:
    Hagelin
    Couturier
    Coyle
    Pirri
    Rakell
    Ehlers
    Kunitz
    Eakin
    Granlund
    Domi
    Reinhart
    Zibanejad

Thanks for doing this Dobber
    Stats we count are G/A/PPA/PPG/SHP/SOG/GWG

Dobber Sports Star

Toews as a 55 point player. New normal or hiccup? Thank you.

Dobber Sports Monster

20 team h2h multican dynasty inaugural draft
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4F, 6D, 1G, daily locks. 20 player farm team 5 player on bench

I drafted Bobrovsky 280th overall (to some roasting) and Nail Yakupov 281st overall (to some more roasting lol)

Was nail drafted too high or is it a good spot to gamble on the former #1 overall pick? Can my team contend next year?

for reference round by round

1. Connor McDavid
    2. Andrei Vasilevsky
    3. Shayne Gostisbehere
    4. Leon Draisaitl
    5. Sam Bennett
    6. Henrik Lundqvist
    7. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
    8. Ivan Provorov
    9. Brandon Saad
    10. Jeff Skinner
    11. Rickard Rakell
    12. Scott Wedgewood
    13. Alexander Wennberg
    14. Sergei Bobrovsky
    15. Nail Yakupov

28,8 milliion in cap available with 9 players to get on main roster. (real cap hits)

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Your thoughts on an interesting forum discussion: How much does luck vs. skill come into play in fantasy playoffs?
    I think it's 50-50. If you draft right (depending on the size of the pool you'll want to limit it to two to five teams). Luck is needed in smaller pools with smaller rosters because you'll have to focus on just two or three teams. If it's a huge pool you can focus on five teams and you're bound to get it right on two of them. I tend to win these if my "bonus" team does well. That is to say - with three rounds left in the draft nobody has touched any players from Team X...well then I'll take Team X's best three players with my last three picks. Every four years or so (it seems), Team X surprises and goes to the Final 4. Then I win.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtybirdz View Post
    Tough pill to swallow with the news that Kuch won't be playing tn .... hopefully its nothing serious and he's back next game. If not who would be a viable replacement for him rest of the week?
    FA's available are:
    Hagelin
    Couturier
    Coyle
    Pirri
    Rakell
    Ehlers
    Kunitz
    Eakin
    Granlund
    Domi
    Reinhart
    Zibanejad

Thanks for doing this Dobber
    Stats we count are G/A/PPA/PPG/SHP/SOG/GWG
    Can't replace Kucherov! Tough break! Today I would feel most comfortable with Couturier (8 games left plus he's hot). Then in order: Zibanejad, Hagelin, Reinhart

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    Toews as a 55 point player. New normal or hiccup? Thank you.
    This will be the norm unless Anisimov or Kane's center in the future gets hurt. If that ever happens for the long term and Toews gets back on an elite line then he'll get back over 70 points. He's in a defensive role now and I think Coach Q is happy with him there.

Playoffs are another matter, he'll find another gear and come close to a point per game IMO

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    20 team h2h multican dynasty inaugural draft
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4F, 6D, 1G, daily locks. 20 player farm team 5 player on bench

I drafted Bobrovsky 280th overall (to some roasting) and Nail Yakupov 281st overall (to some more roasting lol)

Was nail drafted too high or is it a good spot to gamble on the former #1 overall pick? Can my team contend next year?

for reference round by round

1. Connor McDavid
    2. Andrei Vasilevsky
    3. Shayne Gostisbehere
    4. Leon Draisaitl
    5. Sam Bennett
    6. Henrik Lundqvist
    7. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
    8. Ivan Provorov
    9. Brandon Saad
    10. Jeff Skinner
    11. Rickard Rakell
    12. Scott Wedgewood
    13. Alexander Wennberg
    14. Sergei Bobrovsky
    15. Nail Yakupov

28,8 milliion in cap available with 9 players to get on main roster. (real cap hits)

This is a good spot to draft him. However, I think you drafted Wedgewood too high. And in fact, I wouldn't have drafted him at all. Rosters would need to be 32-35 players deep in your league to draft him in the bottom two rounds. Vasilevskiy was also drafted too high. I'm guessing you could have gotten Bishop there?

I think you went too high on prospects/youth who aren't ready for stardom yet, if you want to contend for next year. Vasilevskiy won't do much in 30 starts. Wedgewood won't do much in 15 starts, Provorov I think they'll wait another year for him.

Bobrovsky was your best pick of the draft, for the spot he was picked in. Even with his usual injuries (normal ones, not all year like this year) he'll get 30 wins.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    This is a good spot to draft him. However, I think you drafted Wedgewood too high. And in fact, I wouldn't have drafted him at all. Rosters would need to be 32-35 players deep in your league to draft him in the bottom two rounds. Vasilevskiy was also drafted too high. I'm guessing you could have gotten Bishop there?

I think you went too high on prospects/youth who aren't ready for stardom yet, if you want to contend for next year. Vasilevskiy won't do much in 30 starts. Wedgewood won't do much in 15 starts, Provorov I think they'll wait another year for him.

Bobrovsky was your best pick of the draft, for the spot he was picked in. Even with his usual injuries (normal ones, not all year like this year) he'll get 30 wins.
    I rushed on Vas I agree. Goalie run was on, Bishop was taken, guys like Hellebuyck and Gibson got taken just before my pick and I remember Axeman sayingn Vas is a better prospect than Helle and rushed on getting a goalie lol. There will be 40 rounds total. 20 minors deep. Perhaps I could have got Wedgewood later.

Thanks for your assessment dobber. Appreciated

Dobber Sports Recruit

With two weeks to go I'm about to win my unprecedented sixth pool championship, in a pool that is in its 21st year of operation with the same group of guys. Dobber has been my go to resource to making me the King of my Pool. (The guys hate that.) Thanks Dobber

Dobber Sports Apprentice

1) What kind of defensemen would you trade Larkin for in a standard points only league?

2) Would you drop Trouba for a different prospect (league in sig; DeAngelo/Theodore is on the wire)?

3) What would you expect out of RNH for the next couple years?

Thanks Dobber!
    12 team keeper
    Points only: G-1, A-1, W-2, SO-3; weekly rosters: 7F, 5D, 2G; keep 20 of 25

F: Tavares, McDavid, RNH, Stepan, Okposo, Brassard, Stone, Scheifele, Zibanejad, Ehlers, Larkin, Lindholm, Namestnikov
    D: OEL, Hamilton, Mo. Rielly, Parayko, Gostisbehere, Trouba, Theodore
    G: Price, Dubnyk, Lehner, Hellebuyck, Greiss

2014-15 Champ

Dobber Sports Recruit

Hey Dobber,

12 team H2H Keep 12 G,A,P,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,SOG,FW,HIT,W,GAA,SV%,SO

Keeper Question:

1. Is it too much to keep 3 goalies? I have Schneider, Dubnyk, and Allen.

2. I want to keep one of either Pastrnak or Burakovsky, would you bet on either of them having a break out season next season?

Thanks for any help!

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Animaniac View Post
    With two weeks to go I'm about to win my unprecedented sixth pool championship, in a pool that is in its 21st year of operation with the same group of guys. Dobber has been my go to resource to making me the King of my Pool. (The guys hate that.) Thanks Dobber
    This is awesome, I love it! Six in a row is pretty close to unprecedented in anything I've even heard of. May be time to tear the league down and start again so you can be challenged

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikerato View Post
    1) What kind of defensemen would you trade Larkin for in a standard points only league?

2) Would you drop Trouba for a different prospect (league in sig; DeAngelo/Theodore is on the wire)?

3) What would you expect out of RNH for the next couple years?

Thanks Dobber!
    1) It would depend on my desperation/need. But I would want a proven guy, a guy who has been in the Top 20 among defensemen before (yet not over the age of 32)
    2) Yes - for Theodore. Trouba will take several years due to WPG's abundance of offensive defensemen
    3) Besides injuries? I think he'll go to a new team and be like Jason Spezza post-Heatley (so 70 games per year, 60-65 points)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sleeves View Post
    Hey Dobber,

12 team H2H Keep 12 G,A,P,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,SOG,FW,HIT,W,GAA,SV%,SO

Keeper Question:

1. Is it too much to keep 3 goalies? I have Schneider, Dubnyk, and Allen.

2. I want to keep one of either Pastrnak or Burakovsky, would you bet on either of them having a break out season next season?

Thanks for any help!
    I'll be keeping three goalies in a Keep 12. I encourage it. They're too hard to acquire, and if one gets injured you're screwed unless you have three good ones. So I keep three goalies almost always.
    2. Burakovsky

Dobber Sports Pro

Simple, and do not know if it has been asked yet, thoughts and rough projection for JT Miller next season (standard categories but additional cats may help), thinking of making him a keeper.

thanks!
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    Simple, and do not know if it has been asked yet, thoughts and rough projection for JT Miller next season (standard categories but additional cats may help), thinking of making him a keeper.

thanks!
    I really like how Miller has been coming along and have made overtures for him in a couple of my leagues because I think he's underrated by his impatient owners. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a 65-point season within three years and I think next year he's a decent bet to hit 50. his upside isn't the greatest, but to me he's pretty surefire