Thread: Draft Strategy (long post, will rep)

Big Daddy

Default Draft Strategy (long post, will rep)

10 Team / 4 keeper / Yahoo H2H
    Position Players: C-1B-2B-3B-SS-LF-CF-RF-OF-UTIL
    Stats: R-H-HR-RBI-SB-TB-AVG-OPS
    Pitchers: SP x2 - RP x2 - P x3
    Stats: W-SV-K-ERA-WHIP-K/BB-K/9-QS
    Bench: x5 + DL x2

League draft is this coming Thursday and I am trying to put together some kind of plan. I should mention it is a keep 4 league with a limit of holding onto the same player for 4 years. I am just joining this league (taking over a team) and have decided to not keep any players because one of the keepers on this team was Mike Trout who reached his 4 year limit and I just so happen to have the first overall pick. Keeper picks are also picked at the beginning of the draft (rounds 1-4) so declining my keepers to get Trout and others is definitely my best option. If you are to make a trade and acquire a top 4 round draft pick in this league then you still use your original pick on a keeper but the pick you acquired in a trade from the previous season can be used to draft from the player pool. I mention because there was a trade involving a first round pick last year which will affect this year's draft. On top of that, there is another team (call them 'Team 2') who declined all 4 keeper options. I hope this all makes sense. So as it stands now the first three rounds are as follows;

ROUND 1
    1. My Pick
    2. Team 2
    3. Keeper
    4. Previous Trade - open to draft from player pool
    5-10 are keeper picks

ROUND 2
    11-18 are keeper picks
    19. Team 2
    20. My Pick

ROUND 3
    21. MY Pick
    22. Team 2
    23-28 are keeper picks
    29. Previous Trade - open to draft from player pool
    30. Keeper

From Rounds 4 on I hold picks on the wheel;
    Picks 40/41, 60/61, 80/81, 100/101 etc until the end of the draft at 220.

Big name players available for draft in the first 3 rounds are;
    Mike Trout
    Bryce Harper
    Anthony Rizzo
    Jose Bautista
    Edwin Encarnacion
    Dee Gordan
    Buster Posey
    Joey Votto
    Starling Marte
    Yoenis Cespedes
    Ryan Braun
    Carlos Gonzalez
    Adam Jones

Chris Sale
    Jake Arrieta
    Jacob deGrom
    Stephen Strasburg
    David Price
    Noah Syndegaard

So as of now, my plan going into the opening rounds of the draft is this;
    PICKS
    1. Mike Trout
    20. draft for power
    21. draft a SP

I'd like pick 20 to be Bautista but not too sure if he'll reach me. If not him, I'm very nervous to draft Encarnacion as he is currently shut down in spring training, didn't finish last season healthy and has an injury history. Of course Rizzo would be a fantastic option but I'm certain he won't be available because the team holding picks 2 and 19 is a Cubs fan. This actually gives me hope in getting Bautista considering both Rizzo and Arrieta are available for the Cubs fan to draft. Which brings me to my options for a SP at pick 21. To me it is a flip of a coin between Arrieta and Sale, with the tie going to Arrieta only because he pitches in the NL and could get those extra few K's vs. batting pitchers. But I'll be happy with either or. So ideally I get Trout at 1, Baustista at 20 and Arrieta/Sale at 21. Assuming these options don't work out in my favour, how would you approach these picks with the options given above?

My next question is for picks 60 and 61. This is usually (from what I've read) the area where RP/closers start being drafted. I definitely don't want to miss the boat on an elite closer and being on a wheel pick, if the run starts just after one of my picks I am screwed as there is always 18 picks in between my 2 picks. So here is where I'd like to start the run of closing pitchers and am even strongly considering drafter 2 elite closer at 60 and 61, depending how the draft is panning out for me. For me, I consider the closer position to have 3 elit options and I need to take one of them, if not two. Wade Davis, Kenley Jansen and Jeurys Familia. It may seem a bit over kill to use back to back picks on closers, especially in a wheel position but there is a bigger drop off in closers than field players at this point in the draft in my opinion. If I did end up using both picks on closers, it would put me in a good position to use one as trade biat during the season if need be. What would you guys do here?

My last question is in regards to drafting Marcus Stroman but I've already made a post about this earlier in the week: http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...rout-vs-Harper
    I've been convinced that I can snag Stroman at my 80/81 pick so that is pretty much how I'll approach thhat scenario unless I can be convinced otherwise.

Gimme your opinions, I'll hit the rep button for ya. Thanks guys.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Draft Strategy (long post, will rep)

Rizzo or Abreu could still be there around that time. Hard to say how your draft will go and who values who more. Those are two good options for power.

As far as Encarnacion goes, the guy plays hurt all the time and it doesnt seem to slow down his production. I just drafted him in my draft (29th overall so I was happy with that) and wasn't scared of him and his injuries.

If you are looking for closers around 60/61, again, it's hard to know how people are going to draft, but I know in my draft, our first closer didnt go off the board until 63 (Wade Davis) and the next one went at 69 (Kenley Jansen). Even into the 90's overall, guys like Mark Melancon, David Robertson, Ken Giles (all fairly highly ranked closers) were still available.

Its hard to imagine who will be there in the 40's, let alone the 60's and 80's.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

How much of a disadvantage will you be in with no keepers? I ask because of your idea of drafting possibly two closers so early. I would not take that game plan into a draft. Maybe if it was my 16 team league I could see doing something like this. But a 10 team league you should be setting up your 4 keepers. I would take Sale 100/100 over Arieta if it was my team. I wouldn't be looking at taking 4 pitchers in a row either. I would flip it around get 3 impact bats and a ace. Then look at the board and make the choice between another bat or SP if he has enough upside. I would let someone else start the closer picks. Honestly I wouldn't worry about a run on closers. Especially don't panic on those closer picks. Keep a open mind and good luck .
    14 TM Keep 30 H2H Points
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 UT, 2 G

C - S Stamkos, A Barkov, B Point, L Couture, D Strome, C Dvorak, A Turcotte, P Krebs
    LW - B Marchand, G Landeskog, P Luc Dubois, T Konecny, C Keller, J Farabee, L Raymond
    RW - M Marner, B Boeser, T Meier, J Voracek, W Nylander, K Kaprizov, V Kratsov
    D - Z Werenski, I Provorov, S Gostisbehere, A Pietrangelo, R Pulock, N Hague, L Hughes
    G - A Vasilevsky, J Gibson, I Sorokin, K Kahkonen

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Rizzo or Abreu could still be there around that time. Hard to say how your draft will go and who values who more. Those are two good options for power.
    Abreu isn't available, he is a keeper pick for another team. I'm almost certain Rizzo won't be available when the draft comes back around to me in the 2nd/3rd round for my 20th and 21st pick. There are 3 picks in between my first overall pick and my 20th overall pick with Harper, Rizzo and Bautista being the top ranked players who aren't already keepers.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    24 Man Roster
    Keepers:
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Stud

i would take Marte over Bautista then pick Sale if he is avail or any of those SPs. People are seriously undervaluing Strasburg this year. He was lights out the second half

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Titan

So, Trout, Harper, Arrieta, Rizzo available to be drafted. You pick Trout, Team 2 picks Harper (or Rizzo), “Previous Trade” picks Rizzo (or Harper), then it’s Team 2 drafting Arrieta (likely), then you.

You have the choice to choose 2 of Bautista, EE, Gordon, Sale, deGrom, Stras, and so on.

Trout, JB, Sale is my order. Sale will get the K’s and K/9 easily.

With the flop pick (30/31) you can actually start arms races if you so desire. I’ve done it before in hockey. You pick 2 of the same position and the other GMs start reaching on players of the same position, leaving you others later on. This is a bold move and doesn’t always work, but it’s helped me. So you could draft 2 RPs with one of your flop picks and hopefully other GMs start overreacting on picks.

Last yr, I had only RPs in my P slot, with no batter on my bench. And my bench was just RPs. I racked up saves, my K/9 was high, and my ERA was low. With Sale being elite in a lot of categories but Wins, you may want to turn to throwing away W’s and QS (Sale will get them tho), and just aim for the other cats. Again this is volatile approach because 1 bad game by a closer explodes your stats. A very good SP gets a k/9 of over 8.5, a typical closer is around that.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    So, Trout, Harper, Arrieta, Rizzo available to be drafted. You pick Trout, Team 2 picks Harper (or Rizzo), “Previous Trade” picks Rizzo (or Harper), then it’s Team 2 drafting Arrieta (likely), then you.

You have the choice to choose 2 of Bautista, EE, Gordon, Sale, deGrom, Stras, and so on.

Trout, JB, Sale is my order. Sale will get the K’s and K/9 easily.
    Exactly how I see the first 3 rounds playing out and exactly how I plan to approach my first 3 picks, Trout + Bautista and Sale hopefully. Thanks for the reassurance. I'll update this thread on Friday once the draft is complete.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    24 Man Roster
    Keepers:
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Big Daddy

So my draft is complete and I am pretty happy with my team. Started off the draft real strong and kind of got lost in the depth of it all. I'm familiar with all the players but didn't have the extensive knowledge for proper player comparisons in the later rounds. I'm a fantasy hockey first guy, which is why I prefer the Dobber forums obviously. So here is my draft break down by round....

1. Mike Trout
    2. Jose Bautista
    3. Chris Sale
    4. Joey Votto
    5. Buster Posey
    6. Troy Tulowitzki
    7. Noah Syndegaard
    8. Marcus Stroman
    9. Jeurys Familia
    10. Addison Russell
    11. Mike Moustakas
    12. Hector Rondon
    13. David Peralta
    14. Billy Hamilton
    15. Lance McCullers
    16. Steven Matz
    17. Mark Teixeria
    18. Kolten Wong
    19. Trevor Plouffe
    20. JT Realmuto
    21. Howie Kendrick
    22. Delino DeShields

Not bad for a beginner eh?
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    24 Man Roster
    Keepers:
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Not bad at all. But you need more starting pitching. I would consider dumping Tex, Plouffe and Realmuto for some SP depth. Favorite pick is Deshields in the 22nd round. That should be a absolute steal for you.
    14 TM Keep 30 H2H Points
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 UT, 2 G

C - S Stamkos, A Barkov, B Point, L Couture, D Strome, C Dvorak, A Turcotte, P Krebs
    LW - B Marchand, G Landeskog, P Luc Dubois, T Konecny, C Keller, J Farabee, L Raymond
    RW - M Marner, B Boeser, T Meier, J Voracek, W Nylander, K Kaprizov, V Kratsov
    D - Z Werenski, I Provorov, S Gostisbehere, A Pietrangelo, R Pulock, N Hague, L Hughes
    G - A Vasilevsky, J Gibson, I Sorokin, K Kahkonen

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by CreamTeam View Post
    Not bad at all. But you need more starting pitching. I would consider dumping Tex, Plouffe and Realmuto for some SP depth. Favorite pick is Deshields in the 22nd round. That should be a absolute steal for you.
    Funny you say that, I looked at my team this morning and thought the same thing. Came on here to post a new thread seeking help.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    24 Man Roster
    Keepers:
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Deity

Good draft. I like Matz in the 16th too (along with DeShields). I do agree that you can afford to drop a few to improve your pitching.

The only pick I dont like is Hamilton. I get it that he's fast but he doesn't get on base quite enough for my likings to use his speed. Other than that, nice draft. Hope it works out for you.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Hamilton would be a nice plug and play if you need SB. His starts need to be managed tho.

Solid draft, but never be hesitant on picking up ppl off FA. May i suggest watching Nicasio.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll