Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Just finished Stephen King's latest trilogy: Mr Mercedes, Finders Keepers and End of Watch. It was a very good thriller that kept me interested all the way through.
    I just finished the last book about a month ago. Didn't realize that it was a trilogy until about halfway through the second one! lol I'm so dumb!! I really enjoyed those books though. I thought King was done as a writer after "the accident", but he's put out some decent novels since.

I'm reading The Last Dead Girl by Harry Dolan. It's been a good read so far and I'm on the home stretch!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post

I've decided to change it up a bit and try some classics that I've never got around to reading before. The first:

1984 - George Orwell

I've also ordered two more to follow:

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
    Fahrenheit 451- Ray Bradbury
    1984 - decent, interesting subject matter but found it a bit slow.

Brave New World - took a bit of time to get into, given the writing style and terminology used, but picked up and also interesting subject matter.

Fahrenheit 451 - soon after I started reading it I realised that the only book in recent memory that I couldn't finish was a Ray Bradbury one (Something Wicked This Way Comes), and I realised why that was the case. It's simply his writing style, descriptive in an artistic way (hard to describe) and not my favourite. The story was interesting but I just got through it quickly to get it done.

I bought a few more:

Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham (just started)
    The Earth Abides - George R. Stewart
    The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
    Swan Song - Robert McCammon

Dobber Sports Master

I'm in a bit of a rut right now when it comes to reading. I've struggled to find something different, exciting and still in the same genres that I've always enjoyed (mystery, horror, SF, that sort of stuff). I've even read some of my "go-to" writers like James Rollins, John Sandford and Clive Cussler but, while their books aren't horrible, I just haven't responded to any of them with a "Wow!"

Here are some authors I've heard about, but have never read, and I'm wondering what you guys think about them. Which one is most likely to be fresh and new?

Kim Stanley Robinson (SF), Mo Hayder (mystery), Stephen Cannell (mystery), Steven Saylor (historical fiction), Justin Cronin (horror) and China Mieville (???).

Don't want to hijack the thread, but thought this was as good a place to get some suggestions for what to read next.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I'm in a bit of a rut right now when it comes to reading. I've struggled to find something different, exciting and still in the same genres that I've always enjoyed (mystery, horror, SF, that sort of stuff). I've even read some of my "go-to" writers like James Rollins, John Sandford and Clive Cussler but, while their books aren't horrible, I just haven't responded to any of them with a "Wow!"

Here are some authors I've heard about, but have never read, and I'm wondering what you guys think about them. Which one is most likely to be fresh and new?

Kim Stanley Robinson (SF), Mo Hayder (mystery), Stephen Cannell (mystery), Steven Saylor (historical fiction), Justin Cronin (horror) and China Mieville (???).

Don't want to hijack the thread, but thought this was as good a place to get some suggestions for what to read next.
    Highly recommend Justin Cronin's The Passage trilogy (The Passage, The Twelve, City of Mirrors). Pengwin had originally recommended The Passage to me.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Historcal fiction I'm a huge fan of Conn Iggulden he has 3 series Emperor on Caesar, Conqueror on Ghenghis Khan War of the Roses a battle for the throne of England - Lancaster vs. York. All three are great, but I'm partial the Khan series - Wolf of the Plains is the 1st book.

Tim Dorsey will shake you out of your rut but you need to be comfortable with the protagonist being described as: "attention-deficit disorder was the first of many hyphens. Obsessive-compulsive, manic-depressive, anal-retentive, paranoid-schizophrenic. He was believed to be the only self-inflicted case of shaken-baby syndrome.”... who's also a huge Florida history buff. Meet Serge Storm.

Dorsey writes like he's on speed. You read his novels like you're going 10 000 miles an hour. He weaves several story lines together into one wild catastrophic ending. Florida Roadkill is book 1. His sidekick Coleman is just as intense just with drugs.

Dorsey is likely not what you were looking for at all but I just finished "The Big Bamboo" my 9th Serge novel. and he's back in my head.

American Gods - Neil Gaimen is a great twist on horror. it won the Bram Stoker award when it was published
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Jedi

I should add, segwaying back thread topic, I am now reading "Fear and Loathing: The Strange and Terrible Saga of Hunter S. Thompson. A biography" by Paul Perry.

The problem when you read books like this... is they tell you about other great books, which you then must seek out and read to find out why they were so influential on the author...

Such is the case with this book, I now must seek out and secure a copy of "The Ginger Man" by J.P. Dunleavy.

Dobber Sports Stud

Both great books

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Superstar

Right now I'm in the middle of Ron Chernow's biography of Alexander Hamilton. I'd recommend it if you're big into history.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Master

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I've read Iggulden and Gaiman's, and like them both a lot. Cronin has the edge right now as I know I have the first book of his trilogy around here somewhere. I also looked back at some of the authors I haven't read in awhile, and may revisit something by Neal Stephenson or Robert Ludlum. I've read most of Stephenson's early work right up to "Cryptonomicon", and have read the complete Jason Bourne trilogy and Matarese Circle duology by Ludlum, so I'll have to see what is out there. Thanks again.

Now you may proceed with the thread as it was meant to be...

F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti

Dobber Sports Jedi

I found a copy of Mein Kampf in a used bookstore a couple weeks back. I was afraid to touch it at first, afraid evil might permeate from it. I love history books, and this book influenced the world in so many ways. I've read Hitler's biography by Ian Kershaw and was left thinking he was clinically stupid. I bought it due to its historical significance. I have a hard time believing Hitler wrote this himself. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a ghost writer involved. It's eerie just talking about it on here.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I found a copy of Mein Kampf in a used bookstore a couple weeks back. I was afraid to touch it at first, afraid evil might permeate from it. I love history books, and this book influenced the world in so many ways. I've read Hitler's biography by Ian Kershaw and was left thinking he was clinically stupid. I bought it due to its historical significance. I have a hard time believing Hitler wrote this himself. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a ghost writer involved. It's eerie just talking about it on here.
    I'd be curious to hear what you think of it when you're finished reading it.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    About 8 years ago, I read a book about "the most important books" that everyone should read before they die. There were like 25 books on the list of must reads, and each selection had a short four five page explanation as to what made the tome a must read. "Mein Kampf" made the list and the man who was advocating it as being important was a Jewish Holocaust survivor. Say what??!! But, as he explained, if we ignore what Hitler wrote in his manifesto, we are destined to repeat the atrocities described within. Don't feel bad about reading it or telling people that you did. I don't, and I'm a better person for it.

Dobber Sports Titan

To go back to the mystery/history subjects that were being looked at a couple weeks ago, I would recommend Brad Meltzer and John Lescroart. I have read a couple of theirs recently and they're solid books for most occasions.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

About 8 years ago, I read a book about "the most important books" that everyone should read before they die. There were like 25 books on the list of must reads, and each selection had a short four five page explanation as to what made the tome a must read. "Mein Kampf" made the list and the man who was advocating it as being important was a Jewish Holocaust survivor. Say what??!! But, as he explained, if we ignore what Hitler wrote in his manifesto, we are destined to repeat the atrocities described within. Don't feel bad about reading it or telling people that you did. I don't, and I'm a better person for it.
    this is the exact reason I bought it - due to its historical significance.

I'm trudging through IT at the moment. I keep pushing myself to read S. King. but 100 pages in, it's still waning to grab my attention. His writing style I am finding is much slower paced than others read

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm reading a Dean Koontz book at the moment, Deeply Odd. Only one more left in this series (Saint Odd). *spoilers* With that title, I'm pretty sure he dies in the end. lol