Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    Just noticed that some of you have read Dan Simmons. "The Terror" was fantastic, and despite having read it a few years ago now, the vivid imagery and intense scenes of survival against both nature and ...something else, still haunt me. One of my favorites.
    Yes I read it last year and I thought it was awesome. It's a big book but it didn't feel like one. The last 100 pages were terrific.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Guru

I just finished Patrick O'Sullivan's book about the abuse his father gave him when it came to hockey. The first half of the book is gripping. And the impact of the abuse left a big toll on his family. He hasn't spoken to his grandmother in years. Also, when he told his mom he couldn't keep sending her money non-stop, she stopped speaking to him as well, and won't return calls or letters. She even returned his wedding invitation unopened.

Anyways, the last half I felt was a bit of a letdown. He glosses over his NHL career. I'd be interested in knowing more details there. Did he have trouble fitting in? Did anyone ever say anything to him? Did opponents ever say anything? He does talk about Marc Crawford and his exit interview with the Oilers, but that's about it.

There were also some style things that bugged me, such as repeating sentences a new paragraphs apart.

But overall, a solid read.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by finminer View Post
    Only 40????? I have many more than that unread on my shelf, but fortunately my wife is a heavy reader too. She just doesn't hold on to as many, manages her flow better. Just remember, "it's not hoarding if it's books!" (I like to apply that to music as well, but that rarely works with her.
    I've had most of my stuff in storage for the past year, so there's at least a full box of unread greats in there. In between homes as we wait possession of the new one. My wife is always trying to get rid of things. When it comes to books it's a point of contention. She does not respect them. I no longer let her read anything I value as they come back with broken spines or worse. It's pure abuse!
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by iwinthings View Post
    Well, Cronin's 3rd book is out now so I am going to queue up his first two on audiobook for a re-read and then finish it all off. Would love to hear how it is from anyone else who reads it.
    I just started this one too, was waiting for the whole trilogy to come out before I began and just finished the second book, I really like the series so far, it's fun. Would make a great big budget tv series.

Some of my current favourite authors (mostly sci-fi and fantasy):

George RR Martin (of course)
    William Gibson
    Richard K Morgan
    Ian McDonald
    Haruki Murakami
    Charlie Huston
    Richard Kadrey

also love all the old pulp mag fantasy writers like Howard, Lovecraft, Smith, Vance, Leiber etc.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I'm on John La Carre right now, amazing author. I can't help but to read it as though Michael Kane (Alfred - Batman Begins) is narrating the entire novel.

Anyone else ever read a novel and have a voice enter as the narrator throughout?

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I'm on John La Carre right now, amazing author. I can't help but to read it as though Michael Kane (Alfred - Batman Begins) is narrating the entire novel.

Anyone else ever read a novel and have a voice enter as the narrator throughout?
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a great one for this. His jerky voice/speech pattern is too perfect to not include in your head.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is a great one for this. His jerky voice/speech pattern is too perfect to not include in your head.
    TOTALLY AGREE... It felt like the Quaaludes were seeping through the pages while you read it... heh... HST at his best

Dobber Sports Titan

Can't say I read a book with voices unless I have seen the movie before reading the book.

Just finished The Fifth Assassin by Brad Meltzer. Interesting read. Fun use of time jumping, and some cool details about the four successful assassinations of the past American presidents.
    7.5/10 - It was a nice beach read. Kept you wanting to read the next chapter, but I was a little underwhelmed with the last quarter of the book.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Icon

Right now I'm reading An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth by Chris Hadfield... it is amazing. Definitely offers a unique perspective on life in general and I find myself incredibly motivated after every chance I get to sit down with it for awhile.

Queued up is Cornered by Ron Maclean. Should be pretty interesting to hear what Don Cherry is like to work with.

Favorite author of all time is easily Douglas Adams. I actually have full calf sleeve dedicated to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. A close second would be Chuck Palahniuk (author of Fight Club of course which isn't even one of his top 5 books).
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Right now I'm reading An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth by Chris Hadfield... it is amazing. Definitely offers a unique perspective on life in general and I find myself incredibly motivated after every chance I get to sit down with it for awhile.
    That's actually the one I just started, and I would agree. I'm a few chapters in now, and it's a great read!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Can't say I read a book with voices unless I have seen the movie before reading the book.

Just finished The Fifth Assassin by Brad Meltzer. Interesting read. Fun use of time jumping, and some cool details about the four successful assassinations of the past American presidents.
    7.5/10 - It was a nice beach read. Kept you wanting to read the next chapter, but I was a little underwhelmed with the last quarter of the book.
    Sometimes a novel just has a flow to it that fits a specific narrative. I don't set out to put a voice to the novel. It just ended up with Michael Kane in my head on this one. It's the Tailor of Panama, who is also British, and with Kane having played a butler for three movies influences it. It's a subconscious thing that happens rarely and randomly

Dobber Sports Titan

Sometimes a novel just has a flow to it that fits a specific narrative. I don't set out to put a voice to the novel. It just ended up with Michael Kane in my head on this one. It's the Tailor of Panama, who is also British, and with Kane having played a butler for three movies influences it. It's a subconscious thing that happens rarely and randomly
    Completely understandable. Especially once it gets in there, it doesn't go away.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Currently reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. My brother warned me of this but holy is it slow to start. Im only reading it on his recommendation that it is FANTASTIC.....but ya the first 150 pages are a snooze and tough to get through

Dobber Sports Superstar

I just re-read The Spy Who Came In from the Cold last month.

I'm glad that I did, I think that I was too young to appreciate it the first time.

RETIRED

The Wolverine

Re-reading Stephen King's The Dark Tower series, my third time through.

Currently on The Wind Through The Keyhole (DT 4.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    He came over to Edinburgh to do a talk/presentation a few months ago and it was really interesting. Of course, he sang Space Oddity at the end.