Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 22 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Another fantastic series for people into Fantasy is the Legend of Drizzt series by R. A. Salvatore. 33 books so far. I am on book 5 now, started a few weeks ago. Listening on audiobook during long drives and on my commute to work. It is fantastic. The titular character is a Dark Elf ranger, and it is set in the universe of Dungeons and Dragons, so there are heaps of races and monsters and such. I am a big fan of things like LOTR, Game of Thrones, etc. and if you are too then this is definitely worth a try.
    I read the first 13 of these. solid, although I started to get a bit bored with Salvatore's writing style and noticed I could and would skip 1/2 pages without missing anything. Overall it's a great series, 1st couple books by far the best. A couple great one's later as well. Possibly my favorite character in the 14 books was Jarlaxle - not sure if you're there yet, but when you get there, you'll love him.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I read the first 13 of these. solid, although I started to get a bit bored with Salvatore's writing style and noticed I could and would skip 1/2 pages without missing anything. Overall it's a great series, 1st couple books by far the best. A couple great one's later as well. Possibly my favorite character in the 14 books was Jarlaxle - not sure if you're there yet, but when you get there, you'll love him.
    Maybe it is one of those that is better on audiobook than in print. I really enjoy the way Victor Bevine reads it. I don't often have much time to sit with a physical book, but I can knock out at least 2 hours of listening per day between my commute and while I am doing chores at home. Jarlaxle was in Sojourn (3rd book chronologically, but 6th by release date I believe) briefly as a more minor character, definitely would enjoy "reading" a book with a more central role for him.

Dobber Sports Deity

I prefer biographies. Since I have been sailing a lot lately, I find that's the only time I have to read. My current read is Clint Eastwood's autobiography. I am only about 25% into it but always love learning about these people and what they grew up doing.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Maybe it is one of those that is better on audiobook than in print. I really enjoy the way Victor Bevine reads it. I don't often have much time to sit with a physical book, but I can knock out at least 2 hours of listening per day between my commute and while I am doing chores at home. Jarlaxle was in Sojourn (3rd book chronologically, but 6th by release date I believe) briefly as a more minor character, definitely would enjoy "reading" a book with a more central role for him.
    I've often thought about audiobooks... part of the reason I don't is I primarily buy books from used book stores, hard to find there. I suppose I could just stream audio books from youtube at work and listen away.

Dobber Sports Pro

I've often thought about audiobooks... part of the reason I don't is I primarily buy books from used book stores, hard to find there. I suppose I could just stream audio books from youtube at work and listen away.
    Get the Audible app on your phone. First audiobook is free. If you cancel your free trial they will offer you two more free ones and only $7 bucks per month for 2 months or something like that. Then you pay $22 per month for 2 books of your choice and like $17 per book after that. Very reasonable IMO. Only problem is that I can crush a Drizzt book in 5 days without dedicating any time exclusively to reading... it is all driving and chore time. So it could get expensive at this rate lol

It can also sync with multiple devices so you can start a book on your phone, then get home and resume it on your Amazon Echo or similar, etc. I have nothing but good things to say about audiobooks. (I do still read regular books when I have the time it takes to devote solely to reading vs multi-tasking)

Interesting article about audiobooks vs regular books, for the heck of it: https://www.forbes.com/sites/olgakha.../#534d1a67167a

Dobber Sports Immortal

I have 3 books on the go. I know...terrible action plan.

The 5th Gunslinger book
    The Sinner ...although I watched the show so probably won't finish it
    Breaking Bad Redux book. Goes through every single episode and is fascinating.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I have 3 books on the go. I know...terrible action plan.

The 5th Gunslinger book
    The Sinner ...although I watched the show so probably won't finish it
    Breaking Bad Redux book. Goes through every single episode and is fascinating.
    Not completely terrible plan... I mean I've got a Leonard Cohen poetry book in the can for long visits

Dobber Sports Icon

Reading Alice in Wonderland right now. Classic, but I?ve never actually read the original by Lewis Carroll.

Just finished Bucky F**king Dent by David Duchovny. Great read actually. If you?re a fan of Californication or any of duchovny?s acting, you?ll probably enjoy this book.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Reading Alice in Wonderland right now. Classic, but I?ve never actually read the original by Lewis Carroll.

Just finished Bucky F**king Dent by David Duchovny. Great read actually. If you?re a fan of Californication or any of duchovny?s acting, you?ll probably enjoy this book.
    I will def. hunt for this... I've gotten distracted this past year, but I was on a real hunt for "Hank Moody's" God hate us all novel... yes they did in fact write the book he became famous for in the show.

Dobber Sports Icon

I will def. hunt for this... I've gotten distracted this past year, but I was on a real hunt for "Hank Moody's" God hate us all novel... yes they did in fact write the book he became famous for in the show.
    Really? Well now I have to hunt for that too!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Really? Well now I have to hunt for that too!
    https://www.amazon.com/God-Hates-All.../dp/1416598235

Dobber Sports Ninja

Recently finished:

American Gods by Neil Gaiman - Interesting read. A little outside what I normally read, but I did enjoy the book. I don't know that I would go out and get another Gaiman book based on this one even though I did like what I read. If I'm not mistaken, there will be a TV series (HBO or similar?) based on this book, so I will definitely watch for that to see how it translates from the book. Odds are bad that movies/TV turn out better than the books though.

Saint Odd by Dean Koontz - Loved the series, such a quirky, likeable character. Just in case anyone is wondering, he dies in the end. Haha, if you didn't know this, then you haven't been reading this series or paid attention to the title of this final book...although I did read that there is another book, a prequel I guess, entitled "You are Destined to be Together Forever", which I will definitely get.

Home by Harlan Coben - One of my favourite authors. Contrary to what the author states himself, I definitely do NOT recommend reading this book as the first Myron Bolitar novel. Read several others first and then you will appreciate the characters MUCH more. This was the first one in the series that gave another characters perspective other than Bolitar's. The book was decent, but the ending was seriously awesome AND unexpected.

Day Four by Sarah Lotz - I had read The Three and liked her writing enough to try this book. I probably shouldn't have read it a week before going on a 10 day cruise! It was a very interesting idea for a book, but it fell short for me with the ending. I mean, it was okay, but I probably won't be seeking out any more of her books. That said, if I like the subject matter, I'll probably relent and give it a go.

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins - I have yet to see the movie. The book was enjoyable and kept you guessing right up until the end.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by GoNucks View Post
    Where do you buy your books?

Just heard about bookbub, anyone ever used that service?

- - - Updated - - -

Where do you buy your books?

Just heard about bookbub, anyone ever used that service?
    I've been using Bookbub for a few months now - it's great! You get to pick the type of authors you enjoy (crime/horror/etc.) and you can select between Apple or from the Amazon page. You can also get daily emails with really good deals (usually free or $0.99 - $1.29 per book) and have discovered a number of excellent authors using their site. I highly recommend using Bookbub!!
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

Dobber Sports Guru

Just finished Ready Player One -- anybody read this one?

Interesting sci-fi book (America is a wreck, characters escaping to virtual world) filled with 80s references (movies, music, video games, TV). Writing isn't brilliant, but I still couldn't put it down--very quick read. Lots of fun if you're old enough to connect with some of the allusions.

And the film is coming out next year. It's one where I could see the movie being a lot of fun (if they can secure the rights to use all the 80s references).
    Spielberg is gonna direct.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    Home by Harlan Coben - One of my favourite authors. Contrary to what the author states himself, I definitely do NOT recommend reading this book as the first Myron Bolitar novel. Read several others first and then you will appreciate the characters MUCH more. This was the first one in the series that gave another characters perspective other than Bolitar's. The book was decent, but the ending was seriously awesome AND unexpected.
    Glad to see another Coben fan. I have him as one of my top three authors of all time (with Earl Emerson and Lee Child). I just finished his latest book, Don't Let Go. One of my favourite aspects of his books is that he's now created a little world of fiction in his writing. So you see different characters from his books cross paths here and there.

I would recommend anyone who reads the Myron Bolitar books to do it in order. His books aren't stand-alones. What happens in one book affects what happens in the next few. If you read them out of order, it won't feel right. It's be like watching a TV show out of order.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid