Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 17 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

The Guy on the Left: Sports Stories from the Best Seat in the House. - James Duthie.

currently about 1/2 way through. I like his sense of humour within his writing style and he has some great stories to tell.

Definitely recommend this if you are a Canadian hockey fan that watches TSN regularly.

Dobber Sports Icon

I just finished The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease and am now reading the Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness: How to Makes Sales Forever by Jeffrey Gitomer. Once I am done that, I will probably go back to a fiction novel of some sort. I like to mix it up.

I started reading 20 minutes every night after the kids go to bed and it's been wonderful for me in so many ways.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Re-reading Stephen King's The Dark Tower series, my third time through.

Currently on The Wind Through The Keyhole (DT 4.5)
    Just about to start the last book. Even though it's my third time through it, I still love it and come across parts that I had forgotten since the last time.

Dobber Sports Titan

Just finished The Girl in the Spider's Web.
    It wasn't actually Steig Larsson who wrote this one, as he has recently passed away. David Lagercrantz has taken over the writing, and if you enjoyed the first three books, then I recommend this one (8/10).
    He is actually planning on adding two more to the series, one coming out in 2017, and the other in 2019.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I just finished Only Time Will Tell - Book 1 of Clifton Chronicles - by Jeffrey Archer.
    It's a time-piece set in war time era. I liked it. Author takes 6-7 characters and tells story from each of their view.
    It has some twists - but nothing I hadn't read before. I would say it is good, not necessarily great. [More of a chick book, IMO]

Currently reading All the Light We Cannot See - by Anthony Doerr.
    I'm about 25% in... super duper good. Another period-piece, 1939-1945 WWII set.
    There are two characters a young girl (age 6+) and a young boy (12+) set in France, Germany respectively.
    Chapters alternate from their viewpoints.
    Very easy and very captivating read.
    Won the 2014 Pulitzer for fiction, I believe. Super great, definitely recommend.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Just finished Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. He is a VERY versatile writer, crossing genres easily. Other books: The Terror (excellent if a bit long in spots), Hyperion (Hugo Award Winner). Carrion Comfort is very much like one of those Stephen King books you can't put down.

Finishing up Martin Gilbert's one volume version of his biography of Winston Churchill. Amazing all the things Churchill did in his lifetime.

Also 25% into book 4 of The Expanse series, Cibola Burn. All the books are solid space opera, not quite the scope of a Peter Hamilton, but then you don't have to work as hard to read it either. Good, engaging, fast-paced stories.

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Jedi

So I'm about 2/3 - 3/4 through Phil Esposito's autobiography... he doesn't think much of himself does he? Granted he was one of the best all time.... but geez what an arrogant... A great read though, he doesn't hold much back.

Side note... Great find at the used bookstore.. give me some solid Xmas reading 5 book box set of Douglas Adams Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
    I'm still a bit confused on how a trilogy can be a 5 book box set, but whatever... $15 and never been read.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Just finished The Girl in the Spider's Web.
    It wasn't actually Steig Larsson who wrote this one, as he has recently passed away. David Lagercrantz has taken over the writing, and if you enjoyed the first three books, then I recommend this one (8/10).
    He is actually planning on adding two more to the series, one coming out in 2017, and the other in 2019.
    It wasn't actually all that recent. All of his novels, even The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, were published posthumously. There was a big fight between his surviving family and his partner over the proceeds from the books and films because Larsson died without a will.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    It wasn't actually all that recent. All of his novels, even The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, were published posthumously. There was a big fight between his surviving family and his partner over the proceeds from the books and films because Larsson died without a will.
    I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the correction. Might have to look into it a little more.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the correction. Might have to look into it a little more.
    The circumstances of his death are suspicious as well.... that's worth looking into while you're at it.

Dobber Sports Master

As we head into Christmas, I'm hoping to add to my book collection (as always), and will certainly use this thread to help me make my decisions.

I'm fairly certain I'm getting the complete fiction of H.P. Lovecraft for Christmas, and will probably also get Michael Connelly's latest & Martin's "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" to tide me over until his Book #6 of the "Song of Ice and Fire" finally gets published (whenever that may be).

Right now, I'm really enjoying Jo Nesbo's "The Redbreast". I liked two other pieces from his Detective Hole series ("The Bat" & "Cockroaches") and this current novel is not disappointing as it alternates between 2000 (Hole's time) and World War 2 (which has something to do with the killer).

Keep on making those suggestions so I'll know what to fill my bookshelves with this Christmas.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    As we head into Christmas, I'm hoping to add to my book collection (as always), and will certainly use this thread to help me make my decisions.

I'm fairly certain I'm getting the complete fiction of H.P. Lovecraft for Christmas, and will probably also get Michael Connelly's latest & Martin's "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" to tide me over until his Book #6 of the "Song of Ice and Fire" finally gets published (whenever that may be).

Right now, I'm really enjoying Jo Nesbo's "The Redbreast". I liked two other pieces from his Detective Hole series ("The Bat" & "Cockroaches") and this current novel is not disappointing as it alternates between 2000 (Hole's time) and World War 2 (which has something to do with the killer).

Keep on making those suggestions so I'll know what to fill my bookshelves with this Christmas.
    what I loved about this book (3 short stories/novella's) is it really shows the development of Martin's writing. He wrote these prior to Song of Ice & Fire. His ability to write and description has vastly improved. Any aspiring writers. This is a great peek into the growth of a living legend.

Dobber Sports Icon

Now I'm Catching On: My Life On and Off the Air
    by Bob Cole (Author), Stephen Brunt (Author)
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Superstar

Just started Our Kind of Traitor by John LeCarre.

Haven't read enough yet to form an opinion, but this will be the nineteenth of his novels I've read to date (and a few twice), some greatness and all worth reading.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Jedi

I’m on a bit of a biography run, just finished Wendel Clark(Bleeding Bue) & Elon Musk’s biographies & am now ? way through NeilYoung’s Autobiography.

Clarky wrote this for the kids, it’s nowhere near a tell allbook and he does nothing but kiss ass and respect everyone. Musk is an amazingly interesting fellow. Really interestedto see how his SpaceX & Electric cars work with Trump’s presidency. They goagainst his oil platform, but are all American made products.

Neil Young is an interesting cat… this book is all over theplace, shameless plugs to his other business interests, model trains & pureTone. When his chapters focus on his musicalhistory it’s a solid read.

I’ve got John Kerourac’s On The Road burning a hole on mycoffee table to read next. I’ve passedon 30 copies of this book to finally purchase one that wasn’t all beat to crap.I had mixed feelings on Dharma Bums but thisbook is too much of a classic to pass up diving into and finding out what allthe hoopla has been about for decades.