Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 21 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: What book are you reading now? and Fav. Author(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I've been on this thread a few times, but not sure if I've mentioned Henning Mankell and his engrossing Kurt Wallander series. Currently reading book #7 in the series (One Step Behind), and loving it 100 pages in.

My favorite crime fiction writers are: Michael Connelly, Henning Mankell and Jo Nesbo. All great authors. Curious to know if there are any Dobber members who agree or have other fave crime writers.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been on this thread a few times, but not sure if I've mentioned Henning Mankell and his engrossing Kurt Wallander series. Currently reading book #7 in the series (One Step Behind), and loving it 100 pages in.

My favorite crime fiction writers are: Michael Connelly, Henning Mankell and Jo Nesbo. All great authors. Curious to know if there are any Dobber members who agree or have other fave crime writers.
    Nesbo is great. I highly recommend you check out Greg Iles
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Sage

- - - Updated - - -

Nesbo is great. I highly recommend you check out Greg Iles
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Pro

Where do you buy your books?

Just heard about bookbub, anyone ever used that service?

- - - Updated - - -

WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H) Est. 2015

Vancouver Voodoo
    C: Scheifele, Sedin, Stastny, Zetterberg
    LW: Panarin, Landeskog,
    RW: P. Kane, , Meier, Mantha, Anderson, Coyle, Hansen
    D: Carlson, Faulk, Hamilton, Trouba, Goligoski, Matheson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    Minors: Demko, Virtanen, Walman, Benson, Gourde, Boqvist, Glass, Foote, Claesson, Gaudette

12 team, keep 15 H2H Weekly
    Crosby, Malkin, Seguin, Kessel, Kucherov, Byfuglien, OEL, Klingberg, Holtby, Quick, Scheifele, Hellebuyck, Simmonds, Arvidsson, Schenn

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by GoNucks View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Buying books is for rich people. For the rest of us, books are free at places called libraries.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by GoNucks View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Most of the time, 90% of the time I buy in used book stores. I'm addicted to that stale, mothball smell. The books are also a fraction of the price. Usually the non profit literacy store here in town, offer free services to anyone to help them learn to read. When I get to Victoria, there is this amazing place, Russell's Books.. two stories. Sydney, just outside of Victoria has like 10 used book stores. I usually go alone and with cash, no cards, or I'll spend too much.

when push comes to shove or I'm hunting for a very specific book, I'll hit amazon and still buy used copies
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Jedi

Currently reading Rawi Hage - Carnival. What an amazing Canadian writer. I've already read his other two novels De Niro's Game and Cockroach. The main character was born into the circus, as an adult became cab driver. It's not just a book or novel. This is literature. There's a beauty to his writing and descriptions that are void in so much of what is published these days

I just picked up Charles Bukowski's "Women" -- this will be next up on my reading list. Two of my fav authors right here.

(I could really use a new Rawi book published)

Dobber Sports Jedi

I have an annual Remembrance Day tradition. I always read a non-fiction book based on a Canadian conflict leading up to Remembrance Day. I find it's a great way to put
    back into perspective every year the sacrifice the men & women of our Armed Forces and their families make for our country and for every single one of us.

This year... "Fifteen Days - Stories of Bravery, Friendship, Life and Death from Inside the New Canadian Army": By Christie Blatchford

My facebook is 'filled' with Afghanistan veterans. These are men and women I went to school with, played sports with, drank with, have been friends with for decades. Brings 11/11 into a whole new perspective when it's peers I am recognizing and thanking as well as those from years past.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Not sure if it has been mentioned or not but for anyone who has not read Ken Follett he is a fantastic author. Started with Pillars of the Earth & World Without End (epic!) and then read his Century trilogy. I own them all and can't recommend them enough.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by kgray View Post
    Not sure if it has been mentioned or not but for anyone who has not read Ken Follett he is a fantastic author. Started with Pillars of the Earth & World Without End (epic!) and then read his Century trilogy. I own them all and can't recommend them enough.
    I've got the world without end series, haven't started it yet. Thought about it, but "For Whom the Bell Tolls" - Hemmingway called to me from the bookshelf so I went there this time.

Just finished "The Rum Diaries" - Hunter Thompson. Great little reckless read. And I just picked up "The Jokes Over" Steadman - memoires - he was the cartoon illustrator for HST over the past 30 years of his writings.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Currently reading Patrick Rothfuss' "The Wise Man's Fear"; second book of a trilogy even though book three has yet to be published. Great mix of magic, fantasy and humanity.

My favorite authors include:
    Michael Connelly: Detective Harry Bosch series of books
    Philip Kerr : Detective Bernie Gunther series of books; set in and around Nazi Germay in the 1940s.
    J.R.R. Tolkien: Lord of the Rings
    G.r.r. Martin: A song of Ice and Fire

Highly recommend joining Goodreads.com for anyone who likes books. People from all over the world share reviews, opinions and thoughts on their favorite books and authors. My handle there is Darth Indurate if you want to see what I have read and enjoyed as I review everything I read.

I've read through most of the Star Wars books starting with Darth Bane trilogy, and particularly enjoyed the Heir to the Empire series and the Rogue Squadron series. There are some stinkers but Star Wars fans will enjoy most of the books in the series. Sadly, Disney no longer recognizes any of these books as part of the the Star Wars universes which makes me feel like " why did I brother. Oh yeah, it. Is Star Wars.
    I stumbled across The Name of the Wind by accident back in 2009. Immediately became my favourite book and with the sequel (Wise Man's Fear) my favourite series! Just cannot wait for the 3rd installment. Will be rereading the first two to set the tone for it's release.

Dobber Sports Padawan

For anyone into Fantasy who likes a series with detail and continuity, I highly recommend The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. The audiobook series is fantastic as well; care and consideration was given to keep the readers, voices, pronunciations, etc, consistent for the entire series. Series is around 13 novels.

One of the interesting parts about this series, is that Robert Jordan passed away around 10-11 books in. Brandon Sanderson, who grew up reading the series, finished the series after the stories intent was passed on to him via notes from Robert Jordan. Creating the ultimate authentic fan-fiction finale to a series.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post
    For anyone into Fantasy who likes a series with detail and continuity, I highly recommend The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. The audiobook series is fantastic as well; care and consideration was given to keep the readers, voices, pronunciations, etc, consistent for the entire series. Series is around 13 novels.

One of the interesting parts about this series, is that Robert Jordan passed away around 10-11 books in. Brandon Sanderson, who grew up reading the series, finished the series after the stories intent was passed on to him via notes from Robert Jordan. Creating the ultimate authentic fan-fiction finale to a series.
    I feel like this is how Game of Thrones - A song of Fire and Ice Series is going to finish (side note... rumour 2018 for next book and Martin dropped a comment - "don't be shocked if there's two"

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by MasterByte View Post
    Another fantastic series for people into Fantasy is the Legend of Drizzt series by R. A. Salvatore. 33 books so far. I am on book 5 now, started a few weeks ago. Listening on audiobook during long drives and on my commute to work. It is fantastic. The titular character is a Dark Elf ranger, and it is set in the universe of Dungeons and Dragons, so there are heaps of races and monsters and such. I am a big fan of things like LOTR, Game of Thrones, etc. and if you are too then this is definitely worth a try.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I read the 1st 13 Drizzt books in succession & by the end I had burned myself out of Salvatore. It may be time to dive back in.
    Yes, you should! (just noticed Legend of Drizzt had already been mentioned by Dobber on page 1 lol)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I am finally on the 5th Harry Potter book. Started this summer and have been slowly getting through them. Not as much time to read as there was before kids. haha.