Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Addictions

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Re: Addictions

Today I will be purchasing a back pack and bear mace to help protect me when Im on my hikes since 9 times out of 10 ill have to go by myself. Some people have told me to just go to the gym that it is safer, but to me it is not as much fun. I would much rather be outdoors and breathing fresh air. When I went on a hike with a buddy of mine and we went about 4 miles in the forest time just FLEW by. When Im in the gym or at the track time seems to stand still. I will check out the new hiking trail tomorrow morning, Id go today but I cant go until the late afternoon and dont want to be around there when it gets dark. Depending how I feel I might go on 2 hikes. Nothing else to do on a weekend.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Today I will be purchasing a back pack and bear mace to help protect me when Im on my hikes since 9 times out of 10 ill have to go by myself. Some people have told me to just go to the gym that it is safer, but to me it is not as much fun. I would much rather be outdoors and breathing fresh air. When I went on a hike with a buddy of mine and we went about 4 miles in the forest time just FLEW by. When Im in the gym or at the track time seems to stand still. I will check out the new hiking trail tomorrow morning, Id go today but I cant go until the late afternoon and dont want to be around there when it gets dark. Depending how I feel I might go on 2 hikes. Nothing else to do on a weekend.
    To hell with the gym man, good for you for getting out there! If somebody told me to stop going hiking because the gym is safer I'm not sure whether I would laugh or cry. I suppose instead of going camping I should just sleep on the floor in my crawl space because it's safer. I could roast hot dogs on the stove and piss in my wife's plants. Much safer and just as good as the real thing.

One thing that helps me enjoy hiking more is to attach some other kind of goal or purpose to it. Hiking to a fishing spot or a campsite for example. Another thing I've paired hiking with is Geocaching (free app, check it out). Some people just love to hike for the sake of it, but I like it a lot better if it's paired with something. Just a suggestion.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    To hell with the gym man, good for you for getting out there! If somebody told me to stop going hiking because the gym is safer I'm not sure whether I would laugh or cry. I suppose instead of going camping I should just sleep on the floor in my crawl space because it's safer. I could roast hot dogs on the stove and piss in my wife's plants. Much safer and just as good as the real thing.

One thing that helps me enjoy hiking more is to attach some other kind of goal or purpose to it. Hiking to a fishing spot or a campsite for example. Another thing I've paired hiking with is Geocaching (free app, check it out). Some people just love to hike for the sake of it, but I like it a lot better if it's paired with something. Just a suggestion.
    The trail I go on there is some wild life, there was a cougar spotted a couple weeks ago but I cant live in a bubble wrap in my room my whole life. The trail I plan on walking daily is 7 miles long total...I think its manageable for myself. Another reason I would rather hike and walk is its a heck of a lot cheaper than going to the gym. What does it cost to hike? well $30 for the bear mace I will be buying, compared to $40 a month at my local gym. Plus it can be intimidating at the gym since most of the equipment I dont know how to use. The weather is getting very nice over here as well...no sense in staying in doors.

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Bass56 View Post
    Ya those are like the equivalent of 2-3 cans! I love how they say on the smaller cans that comsumption should be limited to 1 CAN per day yet the same info is on the big cans (it doesn't break it down in portions)

Either way, good for you for stepping away from the diet pills, the energy drinks and the smoking!
    Ive quit smoking for over 3 years now. Ive already had one energy drink today. One good thing about when I have an active day I normally get scared to have too much caffeine because I keep thinking Ima get a heart attack so I steer clear of it those days. Im going to go on a hike tomorrow morning, probably 8 or 9 in the am then check out the nephs final game of the year. Probably enjoy my only coffee of the day during the game

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Ive quit smoking for over 3 years now. Ive already had one energy drink today. One good thing about when I have an active day I normally get scared to have too much caffeine because I keep thinking Ima get a heart attack so I steer clear of it those days. Im going to go on a hike tomorrow morning, probably 8 or 9 in the am then check out the nephs final game of the year. Probably enjoy my only coffee of the day during the game
    Out of curiosity, how old is the StuntMan?

Banned

Nobody actually needs coffee. I like espresso but that's about it. Coffee is one big moneygrab

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Nobody actually needs coffee. I like espresso but that's about it. Coffee is one big moneygrab
    That's the thing about these drugs (nicotine, caffeine, etc). They don't actually give you the high you think they do. They might at first, but eventually they only get you back to what used to be normal.

Say a non coffee drinker has an energy level of 5. A coffee might boost them up to a 7 for a while (which is awesome), but at some point they crash and require more coffee. After doing that enough, eventually their stable state becomes a 3 instead of a 5, and they need the coffee just to get back up to the original 5. At this point they are getting no advantage.

Regular coffee drinkers aren't much different from smokers, who aren't much different from heroin addicts. Of course coffee isn't as bad for you as the others, so it's less likely to **** up your life in any noticeable way...

Dobber Sports Monster

Out of curiosity, how old is the StuntMan?
    27 years old. 2006 Draft

Dobber Sports Giant

Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Sage

Thgular coffee drinkers aren't much different from smokers, who aren't much different from heroin addicts. Of course coffee isn't as bad for you as the others, so it's less likely to **** up your life in any noticeable way...
    The benefits of drinking coffee outweigh the negatives.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    The benefits of drinking coffee outweigh the negatives.
    And what are the benefits?

Dobber Sports Sage

And what are the benefits?
    Seriously? Do a Google search.
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Star

Seriously? Do a Google search.
    I did, and I found plenty of clickbait articles on the benefits of coffee. Shockingly, there are even more similar clickbait articles proclaiming the negative effects of coffee. It seems to me that the positive effects can be found quite easily from other sources. B vitamins, increased energy - you don't need to sock down a ****load of caffeine to accomplish those things. Eating some almonds also wont make you crash a couple hours later and leave you more susceptible to a whole bunch of health conditions.

Try looking more closely at these things and focus on the quantities. Sure, a cup of coffee now and then isn't a problem, but 2 pots a day is absolutely not good for you.

Dobber Sports Sage

I did, and I found plenty of clickbait articles on the benefits of coffee. Shockingly, there are even more similar clickbait articles proclaiming the negative effects of coffee. It seems to me that the positive effects can be found quite easily from other sources. B vitamins, increased energy - you don't need to sock down a ****load of caffeine to accomplish those things. Eating some almonds also wont make you crash a couple hours later and leave you more susceptible to a whole bunch of health conditions.

Try looking more closely at these things and focus on the quantities. Sure, a cup of coffee now and then isn't a problem, but 2 pots a day is absolutely not good for you.
    So you go from asking about the benefits of drinking coffee (apparently you didn't know them) to scanning some articles to telling us what is absolutely not good for us all in the span of less than 15 minutes. Think I'll stick to the studies I've read over the years. This isn't my introduction to the topic.

Dobber Sports Star

So you go from asking about the benefits of drinking coffee (apparently you didn't know them) to scanning some articles to telling us what is absolutely not good for us all in the span of less than 15 minutes. Think I'll stick to the studies I've read over the years. This isn't my introduction to the topic.
    I was hoping to get your perspective, then I did what you suggested. That doesn't mean I didn't have any knowledge of it before hand. You go ahead with your pot a day though - enjoy.

There are a number of studies showing the health benefits of red wine. Guess I'll start drinking 2 bottles a day.