Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
For me, the guys complaining are way out of line. I'm assuming it's just points for skaters? If that's so, then they misread player value, simple as that. In this scoring system, goalies are damn valuable. Kari Lehtonen, who had an epically bad year by most standards in 2014/15, still put up 98.6 points in this setup. Price, as league MVP, put up 127.2. Simply put, a starter that sees games is worth more than virtually every skater. I'd guess more than 50% of the top-20 producers in this league last year were goalies. So the teams that are hoarding goalies are smart. Those that are short of goalies are mis-reading the setup. "Price is too high"? BS. In this setup (again, assuming skaters are just scoring points), a mediocre goalie is worth more than a star skater. So if those GMs aren't willing to deal a Jamie Benn for Lundqvist or Luongo or Bishop or Fleury or Varlamov or Rask, it's not that the price is too high, it's that those GMs are making mistakes.

There are 360 players owned, and 180 kept from year to year. I'd be floored if 30-40 goalies weren't kept.

If they weren't valuing goalies and making sure they had them, there's nobody to blame but themselves. Making any change here severely penalizes the teams that looked at the league scoring setup, crafted a strategy accordingly, and went about building their rosters.

How do you fix it from here? Either blow up the league and create a new scoring system where goalies aren't the most valuable players, or get GMs that are willing to manage to a league's scoring system, not their own perception of where value "should" be. Limiting the number of goalies kept or per roster strikes me as a band-aid, and one that penalizes the smart GMs.
I agree with what you are saying here ^^^^^

On one hand I sympathize with those who have weak goaltending. I was in the same position with only 1 starter for 7 years! I know how hard it is. However I was using valuable draft picks and watching the free agents like a hawk trying to find goalies every. single. year.

I do find it hard to sympathize with some GMs because when I look back at the history they haven't been drafting many goalies and they haven't been taking many chances on free agents either. Then there are those who do pick up a few goalies each year but to not have the patience to hang on and protect them. I waited 6-7 YEARS for Schneider and Holtby to get #1 jobs.

In a lifetime keeper like this (I didn't mention we can protect a couple prospects as well), I do not understand how some GMs can go season to season with only 2 or 3 goalies and no back-up plan for if one of the main guys loses his #1 job. When I think of it like this it seems more like a management issue rather than a rule issue.

Couple this with the fact that some of the NHL's best goalies have been acquired LATE in our drafts over the past few years. (ie. Mrazek 6th round, Bishop 6th, Holtby 7th) Free agent notables over the past few years (Dubnyk, Gibson, F. Anderson, Talbot) So it's not like there aren't goalies available if you are paying attention.

There are also GMs who have done the leg work to make significant trades and give up big assets to get their goalies. How is it fair to them to change the rules when others have not committed the same amount of effort.

Tough to make a fair decision here.....