Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jose says NO!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Jose says NO!

To a hometown discount

Alex Seixeiro ‏@alexfan590

Jose Bautista: 'I don't believe in hometown discounts. I've given this organization a 5-year hometown discount already. #BlueJays
    Can't fault the guy. I never have an issue with players squeezing every last dollar out of a contract that they can. I have an issue with teams overpaying players, but no issues with players trying to get overpaid.

That sentiment rings even more true for me in baseball, with no salary cap. Teams are hamstrung by the amount of money they choose to spend, not by a leaguewide cap that they are allowed to spend.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Jose says NO!

I dont think he gave them a hometown discount. He had his big season and then signed his five year deal. The following three years, his numbers declined each year before turning it around the last two seasons and bouncing back. He got paid pretty well considering the didn't know what to expect going forward with him. It was a bit of a gamble for the Jays signing him long term off that one big year.

Dont get me wrong, I think overall he was well worth the money they paid him, but its not like all five years they paid him were "hometown discount" caliber. If all five seasons where anything like the year before he signed his latest contract, then sure, he was a discount but they weren't.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I dont think he gave them a hometown discount. He had his big season and then signed his five year deal. The following three years, his numbers declined each year before turning it around the last two seasons and bouncing back. He got paid pretty well considering the didn't know what to expect going forward with him. It was a bit of a gamble for the Jays signing him long term off that one big year.

Dont get me wrong, I think overall he was well worth the money they paid him, but its not like all five years they paid him were "hometown discount" caliber. If all five seasons where anything like the year before he signed his latest contract, then sure, he was a discount but they weren't.
    I don't think he did either. I was more referring to the fact that he's not planning to give them a hometown discount now. Generally I don't think players who give hometown discounts end up seeing any benefits (see Curtis Glencross). They just get paid less and get discarded just as easily as any other player.

Banned

What a cancer that guy is. Stupid thing to say even if true

Dobber Sports Deity

I dont think I'd call him a cancer for speaking his mind. His teammates know the true Jose better than we do. We see him portrayed through the media and we all know how much you can trust them at times, especially the Toronto media.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Go watch the interview. He's an arrogant prick. With that attitude people shouldn't bother even thinking he'll re-sign. He's gone

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Go watch the interview. He's an arrogant prick. With that attitude people shouldn't bother even thinking he'll re-sign. He's gone
    And who was he a prick to? I'll tell you, the media. That has nothing to do with his portrayal in the clubhouse. To call him a cancer means he doesn't fit in with the rest of the team or how his teammates feel about him. His interview today says nothing about his place on that team, only that he has already informed management his number as to what it will take for him to stay. I guess we will find out soon enough if they agree with his evaluation of his self-worth.

You're opinion of him is your opinion. We already know you hate the Jays. blah blah blah......

Dobber Sports Titan

He’s not friendly with the media. That’s about it. He’s absolutely adored in the dressing room. He speaks, you listen. Now the biggest thing he’s said is he hates the nickel and diming by teams, and players. To me, he’s saying he just doesn’t want to play that game and I don’t blame him. “here’s what I’m signing for, now balls in your court”. I’d do the same, I hate that game we all play when dealing a trade. You undersell, he oversells, you eventually settle where you both wanted/comfortable with. He’s going in and just saying flat out what he wants, and it’ll at least be 5yrs/100mill. AT LEAST.

He said something about 5yrs down the road, or a 5yr plan or something during the interview, so it’s safe to say he wants to be signed for 5yrs. Also goes with Rogers 5yr “FA” rule.

2 thoughts came into my head here. 1 was, the team didn’t win with JB and EE. They needed the other pieces (Martin, JD, Tulo to an extent, Colly, and the other pieces) to win anything. Baseball is a depth sport and needs everyone working together. This isn’t basketball where you pay big bucks for a few players, you need that depth. 20mill for an older guy whose defensive abilities are deteriorating is a lot. He’ll have to be moved to 1st, or DH soon.

2nd thought was, very ironic that this Jay Bruce talk came out 5 hrs after. RF/LF same difference almost when you play defensively. It’s close enough where the trade that was being laid out made sense for the RF Bruce to play LF. But, you get 1yr extra contract wise from Bruce, and he can switch to RF after this season, and Pompey play LF that yr as well.

I never saw anything wrong with what Bautista said. He never insulted the team or the GM, he just said he told them what he thinks he’s worth.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports All-Star

Good for him. His consistency should be rewarded. Worse guys get rewarded for 1 good year, then take a dive.

Dobber Sports Titan

Atkins is talking to the media at 9;30am today….

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Atkins is talking to the media at 9;30am today….
    Let me recap the interview/press conference Atkins just had….

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    And who was he a prick to? I'll tell you, the media. That has nothing to do with his portrayal in the clubhouse. To call him a cancer means he doesn't fit in with the rest of the team or how his teammates feel about him. His interview today says nothing about his place on that team, only that he has already informed management his number as to what it will take for him to stay. I guess we will find out soon enough if they agree with his evaluation of his self-worth.

You're opinion of him is your opinion. We already know you hate the Jays. blah blah blah......
    I don't hate the Jays. Bautista is acting holier than thou. He's gonna be bad soon anyway so it doesn't make sense to lock him up

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I don't hate the Jays. Bautista is acting holier than thou. He's gonna be bad soon anyway so it doesn't make sense to lock him up
    I agree with the last part of your statement, but you did show your Anti-Jays colors last year during the playoff run. I'm old but my memory isn't going yet.

He is going to get worse sooner than we'd like but he does still have a few good years left in him. I have no issues re-signing him if it's short term. He does still have something left in his bat.

Dobber Sports Pro

They need top sign Jose to either 3 years $81 million or 5 years $125. That is what is fair and what is right.

Bautista is greatly respected in the dressing room. He is also deserving of a large contract based on what he has done for the franchise. The "arrogance" and ego that people may not like when dealing with the media allow him to hit 40+ home runs a year because he comes to the plate with an attitude. The only complaints we have ever seen are from other teams (see.."bat flip").

He has been great for this franchise, this team, this city and has essentially been the face of the franchise sins Halladay left. He actually deserves to get paid by the Jays.

What you need to consider is that he is also heavily involved with the MLBPA and a big part of his statement is showing that support. He is no more obligated to give the team a hometown discount than they are to give him a hometown bonus. His goal is to set the benchmark for one of the top sluggers in the game, while securing a contract for a player in great health into his 40s. "A rising tide lifts all boats"......

If Jose will give the Blue Jays 3 more years at this level of play and then declines in the last 2, they should be prepared to consider it the cost of doing business. They have other players who were brought here under the guise of being competitive (Martin, Tulo) and they have a young pitching staff that could mature into their projected potential. Losing Jose could be the return to mediocrity and making baseball an afterthought again.

Bautista holds all the cards. He is supporting his union. The fans love him.

"Alex would have had him signed by now"--> is all Shap-EYE-row will hear if this does not get done.

They cannot let Jose and EE walk, or they might as well accept being irrelevant or the Cleveland Indians......

Maybe i just discovered the real "contract issue".
    Last edited by Chuk; February 23, 2016 at 12:45 PM. Reason: bad math

Dobber Sports Deity

If this is truly his number, all I can say is "thanks for the memories. It's been a slice".

https://mobile.twitter.com/BNHarring...1627748352?p=v

TSN saying Bautista's numbers are 5/150? Holy moly. No way I'm doing that at that age if I'm #Bluejays. Even 4 him. tsn.ca/sources-bautis…