Thread: Why You Have To Deal Kris Russell Now - Yahoo Article

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Why You Have To Deal Kris Russell Now - Yahoo Article

I own Kris Russell in at least one salary cap league and when I read the Ryan Lambert's article in Yahoo, it really hit home that I won't carry his upcoming cap hit on my team next year. Lambert makes some good points about why Russell isn't going to be a good value player for us fantasy hockey guys...and he can chew gum WHILE skating backwards, definitely something NHL teams look for when they sign UFA defensemen.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nh...170235706.html
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Why You Have To Deal Kris Russell Now - Yahoo Article

I read that article too. I own Kris Russell in a cap league. I know there are future cap issues (asset management) but I am not letting him go this season. He single handedly puts me over the top each week in blocks (and to an extent TOI). I am going to ride his Calgary ice time and $2.8M salary as long as I can. He is worth more to me now (in my specific league settings) than he is worth in trade.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Veteran

I was thinking the same thing Moses. He's not such a household name that you want to get a wicked return while you can knowing he'll soon become way overpaid. Rather you just accept he may be droppable in the offseason and keep him in the meantime to help you finish the season strong.
    If you aren't going for it this year, then you try to trade him for futures.

A guy on SN960 Calgary thinks he'll get about 4mil on the open market as teams will/should be hesitant to pay a guy too much who struggles to generate strong possession stats because he isn't offensively elite enough to be used as an offense-first dman but his size makes it tough for him to win puck battles and create turnovers in the defensive zone.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

just look at tanev, how much trade value does he have in your league? russell will make similar if not more, so if you aren't competing you should definitely look into dealing him.

reminds me of andy mac...was such at steal prior to his massive 5M extension, i think he was making close to league minimum at the time and an absolute stud for blocks.