Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eric Staal, really?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Eric Staal, really?

Just having a Saturday evening beverage, looking at the boxscores, etc. Can someone shed some light, I mean, how can this guy have fallen so far. If he didn't shoot the puck, I'd have no use for him whatsoever (and really should just waive him).
    Full Dynasty Keeper, 25 Teams, Salary Cap (Salaries, not Cap Hit)

Max Active = 20; Total = 27
    F: Min Active = 11; Max Active = 13; Total Max = 19
    D: = 5; 7; 9
    G: = 2; 2; 3

F: G(4), A(4), +/-(2), GWG(1), PPP(1), SHP(1), ShG(1)
    D: G(8), A(5), +/-(4), GWG(1), PPP(1), SHP(1), ShG(1)
    G: GP(1), W(8), SHO(4), OL(4), ShL(4), G(8), A(4)

F: Schenn B, Sharp, Hartnell, Jagr, Kunitz, Perreault M, Karlsson W, Meier, Sanford, O'Regan, Marchessault, Barbashev, Compher, Bjork
    D: Yandle, Markov, Streit, Muzzin, Gostisbehere, LaDue, Pesce, Butcher W, Olofsson G
    G: Lundqvist, Mason, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Eric Staal, really?

It's really unbelievable to watch E.Staal these days..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

At our trading deadline last season I gave up a 3rd round pick for Staal thinking he'd be a decent depth addition to my team's lineup.

I had to cut the bastard before the season was over. He was that useless.

I'll be shocked if he's offered more than $3 million per next season.
    WINNER! WINNER! CHICKEN DINNER! (2006, 2011, 2015)
    Yahoo! Limited Keeper (Keep 1C, 1LW, 1RW, 1D, 1G annually; no player is permitted to be protected as a keeper for a period longer than three consecutive years) 10-team H2H League/Daily Starts (# in brackets)
    Centre (2): Scheifele, Seguin, Toews
    Right Wing (2): Laine (LW/RW) Lindholm (C/RW), Gallagher
    Left Wing (2): Tkachuk, Mantha (LW/RW), Lee, Gusev
    Defense (4): Ristolainen, Doughty, Gustafsson, Gostisbehere, Byfuglien
    Utility (1): Haula (C/LW)
    Goalie (2): Andersen, Dubnyk, Raanta
    IR:
    Skater Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PPP, PIMS, SOG, FOW, Hits, BKS
    Goalie Stats: W, SV%, GAA, SO

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    It's really unbelievable to watch E.Staal these days..
    The next Vincent Lecavalier...
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

I cut ties with him months ago... never looked back

The Great One

Im looking at trading for him by years end in my keeper.

Should be able to get him real cheap and he might do something outside of Carolina next year. Either way, I love the risk/reward here.

Dobber Sports Initiate

What has happened to him. Jordan is outpointing him. I picked him up hoping for his usual second half production, but he could not even get a shot on net.
    Points only, 26 team keeper league. keep 8 + 4 prospects. 2 LW,2 RW, 2C, 4 D and G. 1 point goal,1 point assist
    Goalies. 2 points win, 1 for O/T or Shoot out loss, 3 for SO, 2 for assist, 10 for goal. Minus 1 for a loss
    Draft 8 more through draft. Need to have 11 on main team, 9 on reserve. Once roster set, can add 1 injured reserve spot.

Roster:
    LW JVR, Steen, Hagelin
    C Malkin, E. Staal, Nelson
    RW Okposo, Wheeler, Donskoi
    D Demers, Pulock, Savard, Vlasic
    G Holtby

prospects: Frost, Sprong, Andersson, Bear, Niku, Katchouk

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    It's starting to look that way.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Im looking at trading for him by years end in my keeper.

Should be able to get him real cheap and he might do something outside of Carolina next year. Either way, I love the risk/reward here.
    Hopes he does something so I can fool someone into giving something in return for him. Did it with Phaneuf, Koivu and Marleau so I still believe I can do it with Staal, Callahan and Pominville.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I did a little research on Eric Staal. After his 31 point rookie season, here are Staal's point totals in order: 100, 70, 82, 75, 70, 76, 70, 53 (in 48 gp/90 pt pace), 61, 54 and is on pace for 44 points this season.

He's 31 years old, so age is likely a contributing factor to his decline, but there were two significant injuries that cumulatively may have hurt his output. During the 2013 World Championship, Alex Edler delivered a knee-on-knee hit (and was suspended for it by the IIHF). That was in May of 2013. He didn't require surgery, however, he did spend 3 months rehabbing the injury instead of off-season training. Still, he scored a respectable 61 points that season. Then in July of 2014 while training, he needed surgery for a core muscle injury (?whatever that means - abs? midsection?). Again, another off-season setback. He did manage to record 54 points last year.

Now he's on pace for only 44 points this season and he'll be UFA this summer. To me, it doesn't seem like his decline is solely age related. If he can get a good summer of off-season training in without injuring himself, I wonder if he might not be able to see a resurgence back to the 60 point range...obviously if he lands in the right situation this summer. If I were an NHL GM, would I want to sign Eric Staal? I certainly wouldn't give longer than a 2-3 year deal at a reasonable cap hit. Could be a bit of a sleeper pick in salary cap leagues that are used to ignoring a 45 point guy with a $8.25M cap hit. Something to watch for next season.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Yup. That's what I've thought of Staal for the last long while now.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I did a little research on Eric Staal. After his 31 point rookie season, here are Staal's point totals in order: 100, 70, 82, 75, 70, 76, 70, 53 (in 48 gp/90 pt pace), 61, 54 and is on pace for 44 points this season.

He's 31 years old, so age is likely a contributing factor to his decline, but there were two significant injuries that cumulatively may have hurt his output. During the 2013 World Championship, Alex Edler delivered a knee-on-knee hit (and was suspended for it by the IIHF). That was in May of 2013. He didn't require surgery, however, he did spend 3 months rehabbing the injury instead of off-season training. Still, he scored a respectable 61 points that season. Then in July of 2014 while training, he needed surgery for a core muscle injury (?whatever that means - abs? midsection?). Again, another off-season setback. He did manage to record 54 points last year.

Now he's on pace for only 44 points this season and he'll be UFA this summer. To me, it doesn't seem like his decline is solely age related. If he can get a good summer of off-season training in without injuring himself, I wonder if he might not be able to see a resurgence back to the 60 point range...obviously if he lands in the right situation this summer. If I were an NHL GM, would I want to sign Eric Staal? I certainly wouldn't give longer than a 2-3 year deal at a reasonable cap hit. Could be a bit of a sleeper pick in salary cap leagues that are used to ignoring a 45 point guy with a $8.25M cap hit. Something to watch for next season.
    Nice work...I agree. Interested in where you found the injury history.
    Full Keeper: 10 Team (300 drafted), H2H, Daily, Y!
    Roster: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 10Reserve, 1IR
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW
              W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backes, Toews, Couture, Scheifele, Horvat, Fabbri
    LW: Landeskog, Galchenyuk, Lucic, Palat
    RW: Kucherov, MacKinnon, Carter, Coyle, Kassian
    D: Karlsson, Klingberg, Josi, Shattenkirk, Ekman-Larsson, Phaneuf, Nurse, Ceci
    G: Holtby, Allen, Lack, Greiss, Enroth, Kuemper

2015 League Champion
    2016 League Champion

Banned

He needs a change of scenery and needs to land where he's see as a 2C going forward

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Wrist_Shot View Post
    Nice work...I agree. Interested in where you found the injury history.
    I remembered that he had a big knee injury during the World's, but I couldn't remember the year, so I just googled it and that's when I also came across his "core muscle injury".

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott AllStarMVP View Post
    He needs a change of scenery and needs to land where he's see as a 2C going forward
    I agree with you here Mr Scott. At least I think he might be able to stage a bit of a comeback if this happens. Surely, no one is going to sign him to be their #1C.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I remembered that he had a big knee injury during the World's, but I couldn't remember the year, so I just googled it and that's when I also came across his "core muscle injury".
    Right on Comish, thought you might have known of a site that lists player injury history. The search continues...
    Full Keeper: 10 Team (300 drafted), H2H, Daily, Y!
    Roster: 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 10Reserve, 1IR
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW
              W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backes, Toews, Couture, Scheifele, Horvat, Fabbri
    LW: Landeskog, Galchenyuk, Lucic, Palat
    RW: Kucherov, MacKinnon, Carter, Coyle, Kassian
    D: Karlsson, Klingberg, Josi, Shattenkirk, Ekman-Larsson, Phaneuf, Nurse, Ceci
    G: Holtby, Allen, Lack, Greiss, Enroth, Kuemper

2015 League Champion
    2016 League Champion