Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Was I right to chew out this GM?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Was I right to chew out this GM?

I know that making offers can result in some "wtf" moments, but this one made me particularly angry since we'd been negotiating for about a week trying to move some secondary pieces in a deal that would move his Toews+nice extra pieces for Backstrom+regular extra pieces. Backstrom was clearly the better player, so I was pushing for upgrades on my depth, particularly at D. This league is an H2H fantasy points league G(1), A(1), +/-(0.2), PIM(0.2), SOG(0.1), W(2), SV(0.05), GA(-0.2) and SO(1).

We were really close to closing on his Toews/Pietrangelo+1st for my Backstrom/Vlasic+2nd. I wasn't super keen on the deal since I thought I was losing out on some value, but it's a 24 team full keeper (start 4d each), so I figured getting a good d-man was worth the downgrade to Toews, and was a decent sell-high on Vlasic.

Then he decides, because he has Holtby on his roster too, he wants my Grubauer as well and figures he'll ask for my Kopitar as a nice throw-in. These were the last two offers I got from him.

MY - Backstrom, Kopitar and Grubauer and my 2nd rounder
    HIS - Toews, Little, Nyquist, and his 1st.

and

MY - Backstrom and Grubauer
    HIS - Martin Jones, and nothing else.

Am I insane? Was there ANY value in either of trades at all? Sure, let me accept these massive downgrades for significantly shittier assets. I wouldn't even send those assets to get Ovi when he scored 65 goals. I actually had to stop myself from sending a bunch of troll offers to him, but I did chew him out via PM on our league chat.

This would make you go full tilt on the guy too, right?

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Was I right to chew out this GM?

I never see any reason to go "full tilt on the guy" in trade talks. Most people value their players unfairly - that's just part of it. If you don't like his offers turn them down, and if you feel like it explain to him why. No need to get emotional about it.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think those offers were in his favor, but I don't think they were totally insulting though.
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Pro

Haha, I like your rant. Everyone has received terrible offers though, I just freak out on my own, if you upset the rival GM they could not want to trade with you anymore haha

So in summary: It was likely warranted but could effect future deals with this GM.
    BEER RULES - 16 team H2H keeper. Dress: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G Reserve: 5; 20 farm players
    Stats: G, A, STP, +/-, GWG+, H+B, PIM, W, SV, SV%, SO
    C: Hischer, Zib, J.Hughes
    LW: Guentzel, Svechnikov
    RW: Bratt, Pastrnak
    D: Hamilton, Weegar
    G: Merzlikins, Samsonov, Murray
    Rookies: Too many awesome prospects to list

Yahoo - Keep 3, 12 team H2H.
    Stats: G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, GWG, HIT, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO
    Keepers: Zibanejed, Connor, Svechnikov

Twitter for this Associate editor at DobberProspects: @FHPQuinn

I can't list my 2nd main keeper as there are too many players, but it is a keep all H2H points-only league

Dobber Sports Genius

I don't think they're fair but they're not absolutely insulting. I can imagine it's hard as heck to get a goalie in a 24 team full keeper and while I'm not saying the trade is fair, isn't not completely insulting. I don't think i would have yelled at the guy but that's just my opinion

Administrator

I don't think anyone is ever right to chew out another GM but there's nothing stopping you from doing it. Just understand the consequences - it certainly won't make completing deals any easier down the road.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Genius

I agree with most....they aren't horrible offers. Chewing out other GM's unfortunately doesn't get you anywhere. I still do it! crackhead dumbarse!
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Rookie

I got an offer a couple of weeks ago of Saad and Vatanen for Klingberg. I'm not going to unload on the guy and invent new swearwords, but instead I counter-offered with Horvat and Perron for Crosby. I think that gets my point across

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Lekkric View Post
    I got an offer a couple of weeks ago of Saad and Vatanen for Klingberg. I'm not going to unload on the guy and invent new swearwords, but instead I counter-offered with Horvat and Perron for Crosby. I think that gets my point across
    Ya. In retrospect (and having cooled down over lunch), it's not the worst offer I've ever received. It was just after like a week of back and forth with each one of us being so close to a deal, to suddenly get that was a bit of a shock.

If those were initial offers I would be like "thanks bud, but your offer needs work", but after a week of negotiating, I just tilted.

Dobber Sports Master

Would I be sour? You bet! But I wouldn't blow up at the guy because in the end, it isn't the absolute worst offer I have ever seen in this forum. You also may want to make future offers with this guy, and you would hate to lose a potential deal over harsh and unnecessary words from this earlier failed deal.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Veteran

The 2nd one was a definite wtf moment.

The 1st one is tough to breakdown but yeah I usually am not thrilled in any offer where I'm asked to give up the best 2 assets in a trade.
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Giant

Sometimes guys like to low ball. No reason to ream him out. Just deny and tell him those aren't close. Tell him the first offer is negotiable and if he wants more he can pay more- a little more bargaining.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports All-Star

I have been offered worse. Low balling is part of the fun. Remember, fantasy sports is a game. Have some fun with it.

Another thing. I have seen deals that looked horrible turn out great for the team I thought was getting shafted. There are a lot of intangibles out there!
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Superstar

I agree with most here. Best thing to do would be to take some time to cool off. I had my moments in the past where I blew up at a guy, and found it never produced anything positive. Now if I get a terrible offer, I share it with friends or post it here, have a good laugh and/or complain, and eventually send back a response saying our values our way off, looks like we might not be a good fit for a trade. Then they'll either start actually trying or give up. Or if I really want to pursue a deal I'll say it's off and counter with something more realistic and get an idea where he's really at. Might be his values are way off of yours, but that's their prerogative.

Administrator

IMO the best way to get the message across is to make a similar (but fair) deal with another GM.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust