Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best NHL Arena?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Best NHL Arena?

One of the items on my bucket list is getting to all 30 NHL arena's for a game. So far, I have been to TOR, OTT, MTL, MIN & DET. Of these 5, MTL has been the best for atmosphere and fan experience, TOR the worst. I was wondering what other arena's offered a good fan experience - it might just help me decide on which ones to get to next!
    WHL - 24tm multicast salary partial keeper
    19 Active / 6 Reserve / 15 Minors
    3C/3LW/3RW/3F/6D/1G
    Skaters: G/ A/ +/- /PIM/SOG/PPP/Hit/Blk/FOW-C
    Goalies: GS/W/OL/GAA/SV%/SV/SHO/ShL/A

The Great One

Default Re: Best NHL Arena?

Get in a time machine and go see the old Boston Garden or Montreal Forum when those two teams played. Ah, the good old days when arenas just had names, not like today, when in a couple of years you'll probably be able to go to the Uber Taco Bell GoDaddy Arena.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Titan

Chicago is apparently one of the best.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

MTL was the best one for atmosphere that I've been to.

I'm not a MTL fan by any means, quite the opposite, but the people, excitement level, and just general love for hockey there was awesome.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Calgary during playoff time looks crazy. I've never been there but you can see some youtube videos of the "red sea".

Dobber Sports Padawan

I would love to go to Chicago to see a game.
    Keeper's league, points only, 24 teams league Skaters: 1 pt for goal and 1 pt for assist, Goalie, 2 pts for win, + 2 pts for SO

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Meh- I have gone to enough games. I don't really have much to compare it to hockey-wise but nothing extraordinary has stood out at the United Center. There was a lot more atmosphere at the old Chicago Stadium. I'll take a day game at Wrigley in the summer over the Hawks at the UC. Hell, I don't even go to games anymore since I'd rather sit on the couch, drink my own beer, watch it on my big screen, and spend the couple hundred dollars on other things.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bulls View Post
    One of the items on my bucket list is getting to all 30 NHL arena's for a game. So far, I have been to TOR, OTT, MTL, MIN & DET. Of these 5, MTL has been the best for atmosphere and fan experience, TOR the worst. I was wondering what other arena's offered a good fan experience - it might just help me decide on which ones to get to next!
    That's a great bucket list item. I have one of seeing a game in all seven Canadian cities (two down so far), but yours is way more involved.

I wonder how much of the atmosphere depends on the opponents that night. Not sure who you saw, but Montreal playing Boston would be way different than Chicago playing Carolina, for example.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Meh- I have gone to enough games. I don't really have much to compare it to hockey-wise but nothing extraordinary has stood out at the United Center. There was a lot more atmosphere at the old Chicago Stadium. I'll take a day game at Wrigley in the summer over the Hawks at the UC. Hell, I don't even go to games anymore since I'd rather sit on the couch, drink my own beer, watch it on my big screen, and spend the couple hundred dollars on other things.
    This is a key point. There is certain is a lure of staying home and watching in HD with a soundbar, no lines in the restrooms, no drunks idiots to explain to your preteen kids, and no traffic to contend with, etc. That's not to mention the stratospheric ticket costs.

Part of the reason you've already seen folks hearken back to older arenas isn't just because of positive memories or those places being "better" than what's around now. A lot of it is things were more affordable and felt more real, whereas now the experience is very.....for lack of a better word......corporate.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    This is a key point. There is certain is a lure of staying home and watching in HD with a soundbar, no lines in the restrooms, no drunks idiots to explain to your preteen kids, and no traffic to contend with, etc. That's not to mention the stratospheric ticket costs.

Part of the reason you've already seen folks hearken back to older arenas isn't just because of positive memories or those places being "better" than what's around now. A lot of it is things were more affordable and felt more real, whereas now the experience is very.....for lack of a better word......corporate.
    Get some real audio man

Dobber Sports Superstar

Edmonton has been brutal the last few years. Mainly because the team is out of the playoffs by November, and our arena is falling apart.

We're getting a new rink next year which looks fantastic, If you were somehow planning Edmonton this season I'd hold off until next season. If the team could get even close to a playoff spot I think the atmosphere will improve 1000%.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post

That is a good word- corporate. I commented before that the place seemed sterile and like a mall.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    I disagree. I've been to the UC a handful of times-- it's definitely got an incredible atmosphere because it's always like 95% Hawks fans and it's always filled so those are definite pros. But the arena itself is nothing special, pretty bland other than the history of the Bulls/Blackhawks. The bad part though is that the fanbase is pretty lame now in my opinion. It's primarily drunk college kids who know nothing about hockey. It gets so old so fast. For the price, not worth it. If you want to catch a game in Chicago skip hockey and just go to Wrigley.

Best arenas I've been to are Montreal and the Prudential Center. Worst I've been to was the Nassau Coliseum... oh my gosh what a dump that place was.

The Great One

There's a old thread about this somewhere on these forums. If only the search functions weren't horrible.

Anyway, what makes a good arena?

Seating? Atmosphere? Team skill? Surrounding area of arena?

All of the above IMO

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    There's a old thread about this somewhere on these forums. If only the search functions weren't horrible.

Anyway, what makes a good arena?

Seating? Atmosphere? Team skill? Surrounding area of arena?

All of the above IMO
    Irrelevant