Thread: William Nylander & Mitch Marner

Dobber Sports Stud

Default William Nylander & Mitch Marner

Their stats are looking really good in their respective league...
    What is your take on their development, how fast can they be productive players in your opinion?
    What about their upside, PPG players?

Nobody in my league likes the Leafs, so they're two of the most interesting prospects still available.
    Thanks to all the Leafs scouts out there.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: William Nylander & Mitch Marner

If you're talking fantasy, of course it depends on your prospect rules, how long you can stash them, etc. They could have the talent to play in the NHL next year, but I would be very leery because they would be largely unprotected without a solid support cast around them. On top of that, you have the Leafs new philosophy of not bringing players up too soon. So I don't think it's next year. Maybe 17-18 if they can surround them with some solid vets.

20-team NHL cap keeper; auction salaries w/contracts; 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 3B, 18 farm
    H2H Cat Wins: G, A, Pts, 2G+A, DPts, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, FO%, STG, GWG, G Wins, GAA, Save %, ShO
    C: Stamkos, Toews, DRyan, Compher, Fisher, Haula
    LW: Lucic, Tkachuk, Eriksson Ek, Connor
    RW: Radulov, Tarasenko, JWilliams, Point, Callahan
    D: Braun, Del Zotto, McNabb, CMiller, Petry, Subban, Butcher
    G: Andersen, Rinne
    Farm: Anderson-Dolan, Beaudin, O?Regan, Suzuki, Kayumov, Bastian, Pu, Meloche, Pionk, Poolman, Montembault, Hill

Dobber Sports Jedi

Nylander has 40pt in 30g at 19 in the AHL... He will be ready for the show next season. His teammates will keep his totals low next season, but the kid is lightning in a bottle, Ferarro has talked about him several times and continually makes comparisons to Patrick Kane regarding how the puck sticks to him and nimble and shifty he is (Leafs Lunch in Nov/Dec). He has top line PPG potential, not much bust potential, he's going to be the real deal.

Marner has a similar ceiling with similar Kane comparisons. He's still built like a stick, he's added some strength, but is no where near NHL strength. The issue the Leafs have with him is he has outgrown the OHL and he is too young for the AHL... They could overcook the crap out of him in the AHL, but I'm not sure how much he can develop by being there another year. With his lack of size/strength I think he'll struggle with the physicality of the NHL next year, although his hockey sense & agility could surprise - Kane was only 165 when he came into the NHL.

they could both be with the Leafs next season, Nylander is much closer to NHL ready, whereas Marner may not have much choice. Even with Marner's shortcomings entering next year (and there's time to add weight and strength) They could both finish 17/18 around 50pts next season and they both have 75+pt/yr careers ahead of them.

They wont' be entirely without cast as Kadri, JVR and possibly Bozak & Lupul will be in the top six, and Uncle Leo will be kicking around as well. Not to mention the never ending rumor of Stamkos.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Nylander will be in the NHL for sure next year not sure about Marner.

Dobber Sports Sage

If the Leafs get Stamkos and you project their top line to be JVR-Stamkos-Komarov (similar to Palat IMO), a 2nd line of Marner-Kadri-Nylander looks pretty interesting. Not saying that will happen on Opening Night next year but I could see that being the plan for the future. I dont think Marner will be up next year, but I would not be surprised at all if Nylander made the jump.

Dobber Sports Stud

I expect they'll both be in the NHL next season, as you can't send Marner to the Marlies because of his age and Nylander has proven all he can down there. Whether or not they'll contribute in a meaningful way fantasy-wise next season is another thing.

One thing for sure, if you have room to keep them for several years, you should. They each possess great skills and have the potential to put up big numbers.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Dobber Sports Expert

Honestly, flip a coin.

Marner might be a bit more talented, but Nylander is close to the show. Both are very good(borderline elite) talent.
    twitter: @hugotwigg